Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico’s Fox Says New Stamp Not Racist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexico’s Fox Says New Stamp Not Racist
    Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 14:01
When I saw the note, I could not believe it.
It is true, Fox is a completelly moron.
However, I do back him on this issue.
Memin Pinguin is a caracter of a really old mexican comic. Memin is a colored kid. This is not a caracter designed to bash anyone.

MEXICO CITY - President     Vicente Fox said Friday that U.S. activists who have called a new Mexican postage stamp racist do not understand the issue and should read the comic book on which it is based.

"They don't have information, frankly," Fox said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press.

U.S. black activists and the White House have criticized the stamp featuring Memin Pinguin, a black-faced image of a child that has been condemned as racist.

"All Mexico loves the character," Fox said, adding that he himself was fond of it.

He said White House spokesman Scott McClellan should have had more information before objecting to the stamp and calling it an example of racial stereotyping.

U.S. activists including the Rev.     Jesse Jackson, the Rev.     Al Sharpton and leaders of other civil rights and Latino organizations also have criticized the stamp and urged that it be withdrawn.

Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, said the government "emphatically rejects these complaints, which are the products of lack of knowledge or people who want publicity."

He did not name those to whom he referred.

"By no means is Mexico considering the possibility" of withdrawing the stamp, Aguilar said, accusing critics of being "people who want to take advantage of this ... to seek publicity within American society."

The stamps were being offered on eBay at prices topping $200 for a full sheet. Hundreds of people lined up at Mexico City's main post office to buy them for 6.50 pesos about 60 U.S. cents when they went on sale Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050701/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico _fox_interview
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 15:06
Hehe, somewhat embarrassing, maybe Jessie needs to make another trip to Mexico.

Whats the take of the average Mexican on this?
Arrrgh!!"
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 17:28
we are laughing.
See, we are more homogeneous country.
We do not believe on the crap of being politically correct, a native is called Indio, an african descendant is called Negro, asians are called Chinos.

Memin Pinguin is a cartoon that we have read since 1940.
Even on the Philipines it was introduced as a recommended reading in 1985 by the Education Ministry.

I believe that those African American leaders has to focuss in other stuffs before start crying that BS about discrimination.

Pres. Fox screwed up last time by making the official statement that the Mexicans in the US perform the activities that even the Negroes refusses to do.

It's a common saying in here, but you do not expect to a President saying this in public.

His fault, but the reaction to the stamp is pathetic.

Do we cry for Speedy Gonzalez ? No.

Jessie and his buddies are just a bunch of sissies.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 06:34
Do we cry for Speedy Gonzalez ? No.

When i was a little kid, i looked up to him, he was small and fast like me.
Arrrgh!!"
Kentuckian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 04:20
i thought it was hilarious that anyone cared, but then Sharpton and Jackson would be offended if you called the pen they were using black. 
"I have not yet begun to fight." - John Paul Jones

"America will win through absolute victory" - President Franklin Roosevelt

"This was our finest hour." - Winston Churchill
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 10:34
Yes, some people take political correctness much too far. I doubt the guys who are criticizing would have any idea about Mexican culture and characters. As for Speedy, what a legend. Finally worked out what his catch phrase means, "let's get on top of things!" right?
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 00:51
interesting

Post Reply Post Reply