Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Female rulers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Mythica View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mythica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female rulers
    Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 11:44
Yeah I'm currently reading a historical fiction on Cleopatra VII and in it, they talk about how Nubia is typically ruled by Queens. It also talks about how the Queens were expected to be overweight because her physical size was associated with her power - I don't know how true that is though, I could not find any info on it.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 08:55
Originally posted by Mythica

Yeah I'm currently reading a historical fiction on Cleopatra VII and in it, they talk about how Nubia is typically ruled by Queens. It also talks about how the Queens were expected to be overweight because her physical size was associated with her power - I don't know how true that is though, I could not find any info on it.

Yes indeed, these Nubian Queens ruled what is now Ethiopia, Sudan, and parts of Egypt, and many of them are depicted as being slightly overweight, or in modern terms "thick", as a sign of absolute power.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Mythica View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Mythica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 14:00
In that case, the book may have exaggerated it because the Nubian queen we meet is described more as obese than "thick". Of course what they considered obese and we consider it may have been very different.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 15:40
In the UK the standout female ruler before modern times was to be Elizabeth I she ran the country in her own way, was never a pupet (she refused to marry) and although like all monarch she had advisers such as buhrley and ceil on whom she relied for advise she still very much ran the country.

prioir to this there was her sister mary who once again connot be described as a pupet she ruthlessly pursued the reintroduction of what she bleived to be the true faith (catholisism) and purseued against many powrful mens wishes her marrige to philip of spain (moreover he left england soon after them arrige so thieri s no argument that he controlled her)

Moreover i disagree the Victoria was a mere figure head Elizabeth II yes but victoria often made forrays into policts had close relationships with her prime ministers i.e. disreli and it is prehaps the role of the monarch despite sex by the period rather than her being female which give the suggestion that she was a puppet but i dont bleive this to be the case.

there was also a queen anne who co ruled england with her husband but i know almost nothing about her.

hope this helps  
Eigon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Eigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 13:53
Queen Anne - there was a rhyme about her at the time which went
"She sometimes counsel took
And sometimes tea."

I don't think her contemporaries were too impressed with her.

By Victoria's time, the political situation in England had changed.  Elizabeth was much more of a direct ruler than Victoria because she could be.  Victoria had to work through Parliament, hence her close associations with her Prime Ministers.  Elizabeth didn't even have a prime minister - the post wasn't invented until the beginning of the 18thC (Walpole was the first recognisable prime minister as we understand it today).
Eun Seok View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Eun Seok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 11:50
Didn't know that before.

I thought women had no political powers at all in ancient Greece.

In Korea, there were three queens who held power.
Queen Seon-deok, Queen Jin-deok, Queen Jin-seong.
All three of them were the queens in the ancient Korean nation of 'Silla'.

In ancient Korea, women were treated almost equal to men. Polygamy was illigal(though king had alot of wives), and women had a strong voice.
Some king's wives were even widows or divoriced women, which is really shocking in today Koreans' point of view.
Women's rights decreased sharply after a group called 'Sarim' rose to power in Korea after late 16th century.
They were strict followers of Sung Confucianism, one of the teachings of Confucianism, and one of the basis of this teaching was '男尊女卑'(nam-jeon-yeo-bi = men are superior than women).
'Sarim' amplified this teaching of '男尊女卑' and the women's power started to decrease ever since.

(Think I got out of the topic;;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234