Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the subject of Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the subject of Taiwan
    Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:08

"Something is missing in this sentance I think.  I don't understand it fully.  Are you saying ROC is part of PRC? "

No

" That doesn't make any sense.  In UN, Taiwan does not belong to PRC, there is no international law that says Taiwan is part of PRC.  If there is, prove it.  Individual countries can say they agree with China's claim on Taiwan, but that's not the international law.  Because that can change when that country no longer feel like it."

In UN, taiwan belongs to China.

"There is no two China regime.  ROC doesn't claim ownership of China since 1992.  In fact, this is what I've saying all along!  Taiwan is already a country, it's call ROC.  There is no need for Taiwan to declare independence.  Just needs to correct its name.  That has been said by President Chan Shui-Bian, and former president Lee Deng-Huei.  "

Yes there is, ROC might not claim ownership, but PRC haven't given up yet. Taiwan never officially declared independence yet, and thus internationally its still considered part of China.

"Finally! you are getting it!  Thank goodness."

thank what? your lousy arguments?

"Those poor Tibetans,"

Yes, indeed, living under the theocracy of the autocratic lamaist regime.

" they were never part of China and were only taken for Uranium deposites.  "

Wrong, they were during the Qing dynasty or is your history reading failing you?

"If PRC's reason for take Tibet is valid, then Vietnam, Corean are all part of China then."

No it wouldn't be, because Neither Vietnam or Korea had Qing ambans in them, they were free countries acting on their will especially Vietnam. Korea had a heavy qing influence especially during the late 1800s, but it was still a outer state while Tibet was considered an inner state of the Qing empire.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:14

"WARHEAD~~ look at this!! Wasn't it you that said China doesn't teach their children that Taiwan is related to China by blood?  Oh, wait, is it still me that's the one dellusional, or is it you?"

Look at what? A single nationalistic claimers just convinced you what course that PRC is teaching? If so not only are you dellusional you are a logicless fool.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:37

In UN, taiwan belongs to China.

Originally posted by cyberschoolbus.un.org

The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on this map do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.

Yes, indeed, living under the theocracy of the autocratic lamaist regime.

An Han-Elitist Communist society is worse IMO.  Lamaist government don't run protesting students over with tanks.

Grrr..
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 19:05

Hey demon,

Don't blame the act of the Communist "mobster" government on the Hans.  The fact that you said "elitist" doesn't take away from the fact that the designation of "Han" here is totally unnecessary.

Peace,

Michael

9-3-2004

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 19:47
Oops. Sry on that
Grrr..
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 20:24

To Warhead

Prove that in UN Taiwan belongs to China to me.  By international law, Taiwan does not belong to PRC.

And stop avoiding the truth.  It's not like I don't know people from China.  It's not like I don't have friends working in China.  You can deney all you want, doesn't make it less true.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 21:20
Originally posted by hansioux

To Warhead

Prove that in UN Taiwan belongs to China to me.  By international law, Taiwan does not belong to PRC.

And stop avoiding the truth.  It's not like I don't know people from China.  It's not like I don't have friends working in China.  You can deney all you want, doesn't make it less true.

Transcript

I don't think you fully understand what the ROC's position was in UN prior to the transferral of recognition. The ROC was the government of the whole of China, and Taiwan was never expelled, merely the recognition of the mandate was trasferred to the PRC, who were in Beijing. So there is no change in maps or official territory. ROC claimed mainland and Taiwan were one when they entered, And when recognition was transferred PRC sits for both mainland and taiwan, that is why taiwan has no representation in UN. If it has no representation who does UN recognize as the true govt of taiwan?

Edited by fastspawn
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 03:22

Yeah yeah, the nationalist government even during the years when they retreated to Taiwan, still claims that they have the nation of mongolia as part of their territory.  That doesn't make Mongolia a part of ROC in the eyes of international law, nor does it make Mongolia a part of PRC territory.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 04:09
hansioux you are making a false analogy, mongolia was given independance as a soviet satellite, taiwan was never ever granted indepence. You are just avoiding the truth.

Anyway the greatest test of statehood, is the recognition of other states. I think Taiwan fails miserably in that expect.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 09:21

to fastspawn,

I am not avoiding anything.  But you obviously haven't been reading.

ROC did not have Taiwan as one of its provence before WW2.  And Taiwan can not be a provence of ROC after WW2.

Just because ROC claimed it, doesn't mean its ownership is according to international law.  Just like ROC claiming Mongolia did't mean it has international right to Mongolia.  Therefore, eventhough ROC claimed both places, PRC does not have the right to own Taiwan and Mongolia for that reason. 

That is also the reason why China's invasion of East Turkistan and Tibet are condemed by the international communities.  Not just because of the pure brutality that the PRC army commited, but also because Tibet and East Turkistan were not ROC territory by international law.  They were independent states.  

Taiwan was Japanese territory.  After Japan gave up the right to this land without giving it to any one nation, the future of Taiwan is to be decided by the Taiwanese people according to UN charter.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 11:20

to fastspawn,

I am not avoiding anything.  But you obviously haven't been reading.

ROC did not have Taiwan as one of its provence before WW2.  And Taiwan can not be a provence of ROC after WW2.

Just because ROC claimed it, doesn't mean its ownership is according to international law.  Just like ROC claiming Mongolia did't mean it has international right to Mongolia.  Therefore, eventhough ROC claimed both places, PRC does not have the right to own Taiwan and Mongolia for that reason. 

That is also the reason why China's invasion of East Turkistan and Tibet are condemed by the international communities.  Not just because of the pure brutality that the PRC army commited, but also because Tibet and East Turkistan were not ROC territory by international law.  They were independent states.  

Taiwan was Japanese territory.  After Japan gave up the right to this land without giving it to any one nation, the future of Taiwan is to be decided by the Taiwanese people according to UN charter.

I have been reading, and i have also done quite a bit of checking up because a lot of your rhetoric happens to be whitewashed history.  We don't have to bring up Turkistan, Mongolia and Tibet into the picture, these three are not analogous to Taiwan. Taiwan is unique because of the fact that the present government and its enshrined constitution still maintains that it is the ROC. Taiwan was never an independant nation by itself. Either they have claimed the entire of the mainland as their sovereign terriotory, or they have been a province.

And if you want to go by UN charter, then Taiwan as a state does not exist, because of the 4th rule of a nation, ie recognition by other states.

BTW, I still have no idea why you keep insisting that Japan ceded Taiwan to no one in particular.

Just because of a single sentence? 2b)? Does that mean the Pecadores have a special claim to independance? How about the Korean Port cities of Quelpart, Hamilton and Dagelet? In the exact same wording Japan has renounce the claim to Formosa, Pecadores. Also Renounces claim to Quelpart, Hamilton, Dagelet.

The most important part of this document is Article 10.
That is all the territory change is reverted back to 7Sep 1901. that is ROC gets back Taiwan and all other territory ceded to Japan due to the Boxer Rebellion.

The San Francisco Peace
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 20:26

Very good, that is great.  Finally someone who is making this whole thread a little more worth while.  That's go trhough this.

Originally posted by fastspawn

4th rule of a nation, ie recognition by other states.

Taiwan is recongized by 26 states.  Including Panama and the Vatican.

BTW, I still have no idea why you keep insisting that Japan ceded Taiwan to no one in particular.

Just because of a single sentence? 2b)? Does that mean the Pecadores have a special claim to independance? How about the Korean Port cities of Quelpart, Hamilton and Dagelet? In the exact same wording Japan has renounce the claim to Formosa, Pecadores. Also Renounces claim to Quelpart, Hamilton, Dagelet.

Yes, but Japan has to make treaties with each individual countries regarding these properties is given to them.  The Taipei Treaty would be similar to that, only Japan didn't mention giving Taiwan to ROC in that treaty either.

Article 2A clearly answers your question.

Article 2: (a) Japan recognizing the independence of Korea, renounces all right, title and claim to Korea, including the islands of Quelpart, Port Hamilton and Dagelet.

It CLEARLY stated that these properties are returned to Korea.

Compare 2a to article 2b, the difference is obvious

(b) Japan renounces all right, title and claim to Formosa and the Pescadores.

Where in this article was the right of ownership transfered to China?  Hope you see the difference.

Thanks for doing research though.  Otherwise this thread will turn into me and warhead repeating ourselves like a couple of old people v_v

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 23:14

Hansioux,

You failed to answer what happened to the Pescadores. And reading on also the Spratley Islands (which Taiwan is claiming as a territory, even though by your logic they are an independant nation), Paracel Islands too.

You failed to see that i said "article 10" was the one that said that all territory ceded by CHina to Japan (including Taiwan) was to be returned to China.

Ok i am going to post some incriminating evidence from this "treaty of taipei" and you will have to see that taiwan is ceded to ROC.

Article 5

It is recognised that under the provisions of Article 10 of the San Francisco Treaty, Japan has renounced all special rights and its interests in China, including all benefits and privileges resulting from the provisions of the final Protocol signed at Peking on 7 September 1901, and all annexes, notes, and documents supplementary thereto, and has agreed to the abrogation in respect to Japan of the said protocol, annexes, notes, and documents.

My point about Article 10 of San Francisco Peace.

Article 10

For the purposes of the present Treaty, nationals of the Republic of China shall be deemed to include all the inhabitants and former inhabitants of Taiwan (Formosa) and Penghu (the Pescadores) and their descendents who are of the Chinese nationality in accordance with the laws and regulations which have been or may hereafter be enforced by the Republic of China in Taiwan (Formosa) and Penghu (the Pescadores); and juridical persons of the Republic of China shall be deemed to include all those registered under the laws and regulations which have been or may hereafter be enforced by the Republic of China in Taiwan (Formosa) and Penghu (the Pescadores).

Nationals of the ROC shall be deemed to include the inhabitants of Taiwan... 

And it still stands, only 26 states recognize the ROC. And let me make it clear, it doesn't mean that it recognizes Taiwan as an independant country (vatican whose has the longest relationship with ROC). It recognizes Taipei as the seat of government of the whole of China. And it still stands that Taiwan is not a member of the United Nations, not because of choice but because the UN won't extend recognition. 

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 04:38

Once again, thanks for digging out facts.

Begining with last point first.  Taiwan has ceded to claim ownership of entire China, so how can these 26 nations recognize Taipei as the seat of the government of whole China, when Taiwan, or the ROC government itself does not??

Second,

Please notice the word "nationals" here.  There is a difference between nationals and citizens.  Such as people of Guam and Puerto Rico are "Nationals" of the United States of America, but NOT citizens of America.  This article is written for the purpose of letting ROC administrate Taiwan until Taiwan is ready to make self determination.  This is just like Papua New Guinea and several other undetermined territories after the world war two.  Nations received the surrender of the occuping forces were mandated by the United Nations to administrate these undetermined territories until its population are ready to make self determination.

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 05:53

Once again, thanks for digging out facts.

Begining with last point first.  Taiwan has ceded to claim ownership of entire China, so how can these 26 nations recognize Taipei as the seat of the government of whole China, when Taiwan, or the ROC government itself does not??

Second,

Please notice the word "nationals" here.  There is a difference between nationals and citizens.  Such as people of Guam and Puerto Rico are "Nationals" of the United States of America, but NOT citizens of America.  This article is written for the purpose of letting ROC administrate Taiwan until Taiwan is ready to make self determination.  This is just like Papua New Guinea and several other undetermined territories after the world war two.  Nations received the surrender of the occuping forces were mandated by the United Nations to administrate these undetermined territories until its population are ready to make self determination.

emmm. you are just making that up aren't you? Quite clearly the treaty never said that taiwan was self-determinant. It says that the inhabitants of Taiwan are nationals of China, how clear can that be?

You have to prove that Japan had this intent when they signed this treaty, the intent for taiwan to be an independant country. I have proven that Japan ceded Taiwan to ROC.

anyway, you still haven't answered my point about penhu dao.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 19:57

"An Han-Elitist Communist society is worse IMO.  Lamaist government don't run protesting students over with tanks."

What elitist are you mumbling about? The article of PRC clearly mention all minority have the same right, and they even have privileges. Sure lamaist govenrment don't run over students with tanks, thats if there is any large number of educated students in tibet at all and more if the government could afford tanks.

"Prove that in UN Taiwan belongs to China to me.  By international law, Taiwan does not belong to PRC."

Prove to me Taiwan ois independent. What international law are you babbling, inernational law does say recdognition and historicdal soverignty right, so I'm talking international law pure and simple.

"And stop avoiding the truth.  It's not like I don't know people from China.  It's not like I don't have friends working in China.  You can deney all you want, doesn't make it less true."

There is nothing I need to deny about, the facts you present are lousy and inefficient. I hjonestly don't care if Taiwan is independent or not, your just biased propagandalaist and that is it.

"That is also the reason why China's invasion of East Turkistan and Tibet are condemed by the international communities."

By what international community? India's?

" Not just because of the pure brutality that the PRC army commited, but also because Tibet and East Turkistan were not ROC territory by international law.  They were independent states.  "

Show me the international law that claims such especially on Xing Jiang, because Wing jiang is clearly ROC territory and recognized pure and simple. And don't presume too much love, just what "brutality" are you mumbling about?

sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 09:06

IF you think that >70% of the people in Taiwan support independence you are horrendously misled.

And the 26 countries that recognize Taiwanese independence are minor countries like Panama, Vatican, Pallau, Papua New Guinea etc. That was a byproduct of "Kai Zi Wai Jiao" (idiot buying foreign relations) and was one of the reasons why many Taiwanese hate the government of Taiwan so much (since the money could have been better spent in other areas such as crime fighting).

Anyway, lets hope that Pallau and Papua New Guinea would support our independence by sending their volunteer fighters if fighting does break out. Although they did not even send a cent to help us during 921, the future looks promising for greater ties since we gave them more money ()

This is what I have to say about the Taiwanese Independence Movement: money and rhetoric driven garbage.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345