Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Byzantium questions thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fatal Rose View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fatal Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Byzantium questions thread
    Posted: 29-Mar-2015 at 23:10
Ok so I have so many questions and Google has failed at answering them so I hope it's ok for me to ask them here. If I annoy anyone with all my questions I apologize. Ok so onto my first question.

I'm curious about the Byzantium military. What was the eveolution like? Did they start in the typical legionnaire fashion and evolve into Knights? Did they call themselves legionnaires? Did Byzantium ever have any knight orders?

Thanks in advance.
Druzhina View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Druzhina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2015 at 23:30
They did start with legions as there was no definite time that the empire became Byzantine as this is a name given by 19th century historians. They were called Legio while Latin was used but Greek became the main language. Legionaries is the usual English word for them rather than legionnaires.

I am not aware of any knightly orders, but some descendants of Latin mercenary knights used the tile "Syr".

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Fatal Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2015 at 11:08
Thanks so much.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Fatal Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2015 at 19:58
So the late Byzantine never had any official Knights?

Also what happened to the people after the city was taken over? What happened to the people that didn't convert to Islam?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 08:09
Originally posted by Fatal Rose

So the late Byzantine never had any official Knights?

Also what happened to the people after the city was taken over? What happened to the people that didn't convert to Islam?

Actually, the Byzantine Empire gave rise to the chivalraic [spelling]
Knightly orders that existed into the late Medieval periods.

Follows the History of the Oder of St. George-

http://www.orderofstgeorge.org/historyoftheorder.html

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 08:16
also- The Order of the Holy Sepulchre.

http://malta.obss.org/?page_id=9
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 08:26
Remember, the Byzantine Empire was also "The Holy Roman Empire". Start by googling Knightly Orders of the Holy Roman Empire.

It was also the first Christian Empire.

Unknown.
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 15:32

I'm curious about the Byzantium military. What was the eveolution like? Did they start in the typical legionnaire fashion and evolve into Knights? Did they call themselves legionnaires? Did Byzantium ever have any knight orders?

Thanks in advance.

Was not they famous with heavy cavalry?

and don't think Byzantine or any Eastern Orthodox Country lived a knight age like in West Europe / Latin Europe. During the late period mercenaries became important. They had different mercenary groups from Catalania to Turkic Tribes.

Simply three they looting and then declaration of peace for everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply