Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Original name of Aleppo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Varangian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Varangian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original name of Aleppo?
    Posted: 21-Feb-2015 at 17:56
Any research I have done on this topic has produced unsatisfactory results. I know that Alexander the Great named the city that is today Aleppo, Beroea. I get the idea that the name was changed to its current one some time during the Crusades. I am looking for verification for this and am trying to find out what its name indeed was at the beginning of the eleventh century.
A general should never have to say 'I did not expect it.' ~ Strategikon
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2015 at 01:18
Frist of all nice topic. As a Turk, the meaning of close city charmed me Big smile

B
eroea was made a Macedonian city by Seleucus Nicator between 301 and 281 B.C. It was sacked by Chosroes in A.D. 540.

But region is Chalybonitis

Roman Map 194 AD

East Roman Map 400 AD

And Chosroes / Khosrow ( 540 AD?)

But I don't think Muslim used the name Boreoea after the conquest of North Syria, so I believe  that Muslim changed it name just after the conquest.

However I believe that Byzantine source used the old name for a while.

Western source accept name Aleppo but not Arabic name of Damascus (Ash-Sham), this is also interesting.

Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2015 at 07:47
Apparently it was called Yamkhad in ancient times, Halam in Eblaite, Khalpe in antiquity, maybe Zobah in bible, and "possibly" Armi (Eblaite) &/or Armani/Armanum (Akkadian) (both disputed).
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2015 at 17:40
An interesting thing for me is that the same Arabic name of Aleppo (Halab) means "white metal/tin" in Persian, I don't think it can have a similar meaning in Arabic, but it seems this word could mean both a metal and white:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo

Some have proposed that Halab means 'iron' or 'copper' in Amorite languages, since it was a major source of these metals in antiquity. However, according to the 20th-century historian sheikh Kamel al-Ghazzi and contemporary linguist priest Barsoum Ayyoub, the name Halab (and consequently Aleppo) is derived from the Aramaic word Halaba which means white, referring to the colour of soil and marble abundant in the area.
 Post Reply Post Reply