Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern day Lebanese people's true ancestors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Phoenician1887 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phoenician1887 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern day Lebanese people's true ancestors?
    Posted: 15-Jan-2015 at 03:20
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and thus, I hope that I am posting in the right section: forgive me if I am not.

I am Lebanese, from the north of Lebanon (Tripoli). All my life, I have been taught that ethnically, I was "Arab". However, when I look at Saudis, or Egyptians, or Yemenis, or even Iraqis, I see that I have nothing in common with them, physically.

Physically, I have moderate pale white skin, but with very dark straight hair, and hazel eyes. I always wondered who my true ancestors were, as I know that I probably do not have 100% "Arab" blood. That is why many Lebanese do not consider themselves as Arabs... I am one of them. I know that many empires have ruled this land, so I wanted to ask people on this forum: who are the true ancestors of the modern day Lebanese? Are the modern day Lebanese people predominately Arab ethnically, or something else?

Thank you
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2015 at 04:52
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2015 at 05:58
Your username shows that you know about your ancestors, namely Phoenician. Of course they were also a Semitic people, so culturally there could be no big difference between them and modern Arabs, especially those Arabs who already in Lebanon and northwest Syria.
kuradilammas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kuradilammas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2015 at 05:16
Semitic Phoenicians were the early ancestors of Lebanese people. Lately, the "sea peoples" which ended the power of Phoenicians mixed with Lebanese people, Palestinians today were those "sea tribes". Those people migrated there though the Mediterinian Sea from west and there were probably ancient Greeks or Hittitic Anatolians before their civilization were strong. Again, semitic Asyrians ruled there for a while, and by the Roman Empire and Christianity, i guess there is mixed with miscelious people. By the Islamic conqurest, the Arabization era started there. 

And I don't think that there was a strong ethnical change during the Ottoman times, but I guess some Turkish, Armenian and Circasian people migrated there and mixed with your people.

In brief, Egyptians were Egpytians which were totally a different civilization. Levand (Lebanese, Syrian etc.) peole were a mixture of Phoenicians and Greeks or Anatolians. And all those Arab people mixed with the real Arabs from Arabian Peninsula.

And interestingly, we Turks and Lebanese people almost have the same face and apperance. 

Edited by kuradilammas - 22-Jan-2015 at 05:23
Byzantine Emporia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Byzantine Emporia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2015 at 09:19
The numbers involved in the Arab conquests were pretty small, so they didn't change the ethnic makeup all that much.  Some say the Arabic language took hold so quickly because it is so similar to Aramaic, spoken in Lebanon at the time.  
 Post Reply Post Reply