Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander Severus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reitia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote reitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander Severus
    Posted: 30-Nov-2014 at 17:24
Hello,

I've read several biographies, ancient and modern, of the young Roman Emperor Alexander Severus. The account of his life in the Historia Augusta is especially interesting. It would seem that Alexander, unlike the other Severan rulers, was a serious,studious, dedicated youth who strove to rule with wisdom and tolerance. Yet many biographers...especially recent ones...have maligned this unfortunate emperor (who was vilely murdered at the age of 26), classifying him as a timid weakling, completely under the influence of his dominating mother, Julia Mamaea.

I'd like to discuss this topic with other forum members. Please let me know your opinions about Alexander Severus. Was he another sage, philosophical ruler like Marcus Aurelius, or just a puppet in the hands of Julia Mamaea?
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2014 at 22:40
Was he not pronounced damnatio memoriae?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
reitia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2014 at 04:24
I don't think so; it was his (probably) deranged cousin and predecessor Elagabalus whose memory and statuary were cancelled.

Alexander Severus was apparently well-liked and esteemed by the majority of Romans. The army, however, considered Alexander to possess overly pacifistic tendencies, and conspired against him for that reason.
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2015 at 20:31
Alexander Severus adopted "Do unto others as thou wouldst have them do unto thee" as his motto.     
He caused this maxim to be inscribed upon his palace and upon public buildings.    
In his private chapel, Alexander Severus had, besides the images of Apollonius, Orpheus, and Jesus, also an effigy of Abraham.
Onasander View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Onasander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2015 at 01:01
He was Christian, how well he understood the religion is debatable. 

He was killed by Thrax, who upsurped the throne, and started the Third Century decline. The Roman Senate was decidedly opposed to Thrax, likely outside of Hannibal I can't think of anyone they despised more. They kept spawning counter emperors to kill Thrax.

Alexander Severus was martyred as a Christian, but never sainted. I dunno why. Philip the Arab would also flirt with Christianity until Constantine took the plunge.

Roman Senate apparently didn't quite grasp Christianity upon Alexus' assassination. They had him deified as a God, which undoubtedly will cause a bit of humor on judgment day. "I can see here emperor you tried to be a good Christian, and died a martyr. I also see you were deified as a pagan God, a temple was built for you, and sacrifices presented in your name".

Can't blame him for stuff outside his control, right?

He had just dealt with a Persian war prior to Germany. It was less than Alexander Severus, and more Thrax's sense of superiority arising from his giantness that undoubtedly caused him to upsurp the throne. He claimed he could fight the Germans, and pointlessly did so. Without the Senate. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2015 at 09:48
Really? I've never heard that Alexander Severus was a Christian. Are there any remaining records about it?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2015 at 09:54
I think he was both a philosophical ruler and a puppet. Although he loved philosophy and did his best for the people(he even cut taxes for them), he was too dependent on his mother Julia Mamaea. That's why he was killed by Maximinus' soldiers.

He won their devotion by giving them all kinds of gifts and rewards. Consequently, the recruits, who included an especially large number of Pannonians, praised the masculinity of Maximinus and despised Alexander as a mother's boy. Their contempt for the emperor was increased by the fact that the empire was being managed by a woman's authority and a woman's judgment, and by the fact that Alexander had directed the campaigns carelessly and timidly. They reminded each other of the defeats in the East which had resulted from the emperor's negligence and of his failure to do anything courageous or vigorous when he faced the Germans. (from Herodian's Roman History)
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2015 at 15:50
Severus favored the Christians, as well as the Jews, but this does doesn't necessarily mean that he was a Christian.
 Post Reply Post Reply