Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of the Somme questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of the Somme questions
    Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 08:48

Historians of AllEmpires, I have questions about the Battle of the Somme.

First of all, why do they call it a "battle" even tho it was a campaign from July to November?

Second of all, it is a claim by the historians that the Allies suffered 600k casualties and SO DID the Germans while the Germans were the one defending and the Allies were just frontally assaulting (this time for real) the German positions.

It was pretty much like General U.S. Grant and the battle of Cold Harbor during the American Civil War, but this time it was frontal attacks for 4 months!

So I can't see how the Germans lost the same amount of troops, by just shooting from above the hills.

Granted, this was the first campaign/battle that tanks were used and they were unknown until then. But they were merely 30 and most of them were stuck in the mud and the rest just broke without inflicting any serious casualties.

Edited by Stefany - 17-Nov-2014 at 09:14
My website
My history website
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language." - Robert E. Lee
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 10:21
This is a subject that's more in CV's ballpark.  I'm not that familiar with the Somme. Not enough to answer your questions specifically.

I do know that the casualties on both sides were staggering and in many cases resulted from 18th cent. tactics being used in "modern warfare".  Frontal assaults into concentrated machine gun fire was suicidal. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 14:09
^^ Thanks for the reply.

It made sense the Allies to have "staggering casualties" because they were frontally attacking fortified position on hills, but not the Germans. That's what I can't understand...
My website
My history website
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 15:11
Massive artillery barrages accompanied every assault, often lasting for days and consuming millions of shells each time.

Reading even a brief history of the Somme will answer your questions quite readily.

60,000 casualties, 20,000 of which were deaths just on the 1st July 1916 (British casualties of the initial assault on the first day of the battle)

For example, the battle lasted from July 1st to Novemeber 18th of 1916.  Since this attack centered around control of Verdun, attack and counter-attack was the constant pattern to try and gain a little ground and then hold it, especially around the Fortress of  Douaumont, the largest of the Verdun fortresses.  This meant that the German army was on the offensive as much as the Allies were.

680,000 Germans lost their lives in the battle.
204,000 French died (more at Verdun)
420,000 British troops lost their lives.
A total of 1304000 men died fighting the battle of the Somme.

Edited by Mountain Man - 17-Nov-2014 at 15:22
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Massive artillery barrages accompanied every assault, often lasting for days and consuming millions of sheels each time.

Reading even a brief history of the Somme will answer your qeustions quite readily.

I did read and it wasn't explained, hence I am asking. Wasn't that obvious to you?
My website
My history website
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 15:31
Originally posted by Stefany

I did read and it wasn't explained, hence I am asking. Wasn't that obvious to you?

Not really, because people usually know something about the subject before seeking clarification.  What is obvious is that you have no real comprehension of the sheer scale, ferocity or bloodiness of WWI in general or the Somme specifically.  I, OTH have toured the entire area, including the fortresses and the national battlefield cemeteries and have walked the trench lines.  If you are looking for simple answers, there are none.  It was a needless war fought over childish pride by idiots who wasted millions of strong, brave young men.  It broke the backs of national government such as Austro-Hungary and Russia, and let directly to the horrors of WWII.

As you mentioned, it was a long and bloody campaign rather than a single battle, and territory constantly changed hands as the two armies clawed at each other day after bloody day.

Much of this was triggered by the French decision to retake Verdun as a national symbol after allowing it to be easily captured in the first place.

The easiest answer is the one I already gave - the Germans were on the offensive and thus slaughtered just as often and as easily as the Allies as trenches and objectives changed hands over and over again.  The Ferench, for example, created an entire myth around the battle for Verdun, including the "miracle of La Voie Sacree" - The Sacred Way.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 21:46
I was unaware that there was a minimum or maximum duration for the term battle, although I do understand that a campaign maybe a single battle long, or a number of battles.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2014 at 09:54
@Mountain Man, thank you for replying to my question, however you could have been even more helpful if you weren't berating people who know less than you on a given subject. I am sure you don't know as  much  PHP as I do, yet I am not bringing it up.

@Alani, one battle can't be waged from JULY to NOVEMBER. There has to be a number of battles. For example,  First Tannenberg and Second Tannenberg 
My website
My history website
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2014 at 11:54
The fact that your dealing with Trench Warfare, which is basically static in nature, could change the historical definition of it.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2014 at 13:02
Originally posted by Stefany

@Alani, one battle can't be waged from JULY to NOVEMBER. There has to be a number of battles. For example,  First Tannenberg and Second Tannenberg 
Battles can quite often be categorised as early phase and main battle. The Somme and Tannenberg are good examples of well drawn out battles where these are so clearly defined. Hence the singular titles of The Battle of the Somme, and The Battle of Tannenbeg. Btw, Stefany, where are there rules which state conflicts as these must be products of many battles?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2014 at 17:15
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

I was unaware that there was a minimum or maximum duration for the term battle, although I do understand that a campaign maybe a single battle long, or a number of battles.

A battle has a single beginning and an end, while a campaign is a series of battles centered in the same region by the same forces culminating in either victory, defeat or stalemate.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by red clay

The fact that your dealing with Trench Warfare, which is basically static in nature, could change the historical definition of it.

Not necessairly, because trench warfare was typified by constant attacks by one side and then the other, each side in tent on taking the enemy trenches, and then the enemy intent upon counter-attacking.

Also of note was the constant attrition due to artillery, and disease.

This is a breakdown of American deaths during WWI:

BREAKDOWN OF TOTAL US DEATHS (112.422)
Army in United States 32% 33,509
American Expeditionary Force 69% 76,699
Disease 51% (USA:30% , AEF:21%) 56,991
Battle 43% 4809
Others 6% 6522

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2014 at 21:02
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

A battle has a single beginning and an end, while a campaign is a series of battles centered in the same region by the same forces culminating in either victory, defeat or stalemate.
The Anglo-Zanzibar war of 27th August 1896, started at 09:00 and ended at 09:40. A war, a campaign, and a battle in a single forty minute period.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2014 at 21:19
historically there has either been a differentiation of 'the' battle that had significance in the minds of the participants..civil and military and the campaign...or not.

often times it was a result of the immediate significance of the one that later was reexamined as a part of the other. iow. event/s that occurred over a single or few days versus the culmination of the total events over a longer period of time in a localized, as noted, area..

historians, especially in the contextual era, were want to do this.

many examples of this abound...tho not necessarily enjoining the same name.

another example is the Battle of the Bulge versus the Ardennes Campaign.

The battle should actually be 'battles'.... 'as fought within' the larger frame of the 'campaign'.

Another would be the American Indian vs. US Govt. ''Red River Campaign'' of 1874... and the actions.... that in toto that entailed.

Which has often been confused with the 'same named' campaign during the ACW of 1864. Simply because both saw actions near or on the same river.
But not in the same location/s. Iow. often times it was a geophysical identification that might or might not have a synonymous application.

Hence the 'Somme'.

historians in the current context have gotten better. and most generally, further identify the scope and the specificity of the subject matter/event's in question. and in the case of the examples above, attempt to better define the battle/s from the campaign/s.

and finally because it is generally the military itself that id's a battle versus a 'campaign'. in which, potentially, many actions over 'x' time period...may have occurred. versus which 'one' if not all... might have had a significant impact during the latter.

from a scholastic perspective this then allows an ability to, in theory anyway, more easy study and later analysis of both.

certainly from the tactical... versus strategic-logistical-command and control-military art applications (ie. inclusive of all the former and the National-Civil motivations-agendas-needs.

consequently MM's post: "A battle has a single beginning and an end, while a campaign is a series of battles centered in the same region by the same forces culminating in either victory, defeat or stalemate.''

is indeed from a 'generalist' perspective correct. with the caveat that campaigns are further sub delinations of 'Wars".

Though to further complicate the issue 'one' battle as noted by Alani above... might indeed represent the 'entire' campaign fought during the 'war'.

lol.

it's not supposed to be difficult but sometimes is.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 21-Nov-2014 at 21:41
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2014 at 05:20
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

historically there has either been a differentiation of 'the' battle that had significance in the minds of the participants..civil and military and the campaign...or not.

often times it was a result of the immediate significance of the one that later was reexamined as a part of the other. iow. event/s that occurred over a single or few days versus the culmination of the total events over a longer period of time in a localized, as noted, area..

historians, especially in the contextual era, were want to do this.

many examples of this abound...tho not necessarily enjoining the same name.

another example is the Battle of the Bulge versus the Ardennes Campaign.

The battle should actually be 'battles'.... 'as fought within' the larger frame of the 'campaign'.

Another would be the American Indian vs. US Govt. ''Red River Campaign'' of 1874... and the actions.... that in toto that entailed.

Which has often been confused with the 'same named' campaign during the ACW of 1864. Simply because both saw actions near or on the same river.
But not in the same location/s. Iow. often times it was a geophysical identification that might or might not have a synonymous application.

Hence the 'Somme'.

historians in the current context have gotten better. and most generally, further identify the scope and the specificity of the subject matter/event's in question. and in the case of the examples above, attempt to better define the battle/s from the campaign/s.

and finally because it is generally the military itself that id's a battle versus a 'campaign'. in which, potentially, many actions over 'x' time period...may have occurred. versus which 'one' if not all... might have had a significant impact during the latter.

from a scholastic perspective this then allows an ability to, in theory anyway, more easy study and later analysis of both.

certainly from the tactical... versus strategic-logistical-command and control-military art applications (ie. inclusive of all the former and the National-Civil motivations-agendas-needs.

consequently MM's post: "A battle has a single beginning and an end, while a campaign is a series of battles centered in the same region by the same forces culminating in either victory, defeat or stalemate.''

is indeed from a 'generalist' perspective correct. with the caveat that campaigns are further sub delinations of 'Wars".

Though to further complicate the issue 'one' battle as noted by Alani above... might indeed represent the 'entire' campaign fought during the 'war'.

lol.

it's not supposed to be difficult but sometimes is.

Thanks for the explanation. Well, the allies at the end of November only gained like what, 30 miles of territory for the cost of 600k casualties? I think that can't count as a victory...

My website
My history website
 Post Reply Post Reply