Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Link between Celtic and Asian gods.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karlaswagnaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Karlaswagnaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Link between Celtic and Asian gods.
    Posted: 31-May-2014 at 16:20
I have found interesting similarities between these European deities and Asian deities: Pashupati & Cernunnos, Anahita & Potnia Theron. What do you think? It's just a coincidence or there are more?
Stars die and reborn...
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2014 at 19:02
The Celts were a part of the great push from east to west, and thought to have their origins under the Cimmerians and Scythians. They would have been under their control in one form or other until they eventually made their escape westward. Could there be connections between Asian and European deities? The answer is most certainly yes. Deer deities were followed in Eurasia and probably followed the Celts westward, and so you have Cernunnos. As for Pashupati there has been a suggested connection to the deer due to medieval depictions showing them near by. However my opinions is that Pashupati, Anahita, & Potnia Theron have more of a connection with fertility or Mother goddess tradition. That said I would have to say yes again with the Asian European connection.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2014 at 19:45
Originally posted by Karlaswagnaz

I have found interesting similarities between these European deities and Asian deities: Pashupati & Cernunnos, Anahita & Potnia Theron. What do you think? It's just a coincidence or there are more?

Please tell us more about the similarities you believe you have found.
Karlaswagnaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Karlaswagnaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2014 at 01:27
Cernunnos:

Pasupati:

Potnia Theron:

Anahita:

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Stars die and reborn...
 Post Reply Post Reply