Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lithuanians 13th and 14th cen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithuanians 13th and 14th cen.
    Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 14:47
it seems like all hystorians was busy,my sources all atention gives to siege of Kaunas (my home city), one of the main castles was lost in 1362. Duke Kestutis's son led to defenders and was captured. Sinivody looks like minor action that year
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 10:49
Keep in mind that - apart from popular belief - the german knights were not superiour to the lithuanians and other baltic pagan peoples. In the 13 th century when most fighting and conquests were undertaken the knights had no real armour - just simple maille hauberks and helmets. The armoured elite of the balts and ests too had maille armour and helmets. The knights usd sword, crossbows and lances - the balts had swords and lances as well, and of course archers. Sure the knights had better horses, but they werent suited to the terrain anyway. Any small technological advantage that the order knights might had possesed was evened out by the terrain factor and the superiour numbers and tactics of the balts. "Tech advantage" was insignificant and had no impact at all on the outcome since the liths were never conquered anyway
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 11:03
And they had a disadvantage in that they're used to a somewhat more broken terrain split by hedgerows and irrigation ditches. Faced with the open flat terrain of the East, they got confused for a while before they finally adapted as well...
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 12:35
I have seen pictures of Estonian warriors, they wear no metal armor as far as i know. The common knowledge is that one German knight equaled ten Estonians. As seen in the battle of St. Matthew's day, less then 3000 German knights won 6000 Estonians with ease and the Estonians had no plate armor or Iron armor. The German knights had ring mail did they not?
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 09:31

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I have seen pictures of Estonian warriors, they wear no metal armor as far as i know. The common knowledge is that one German knight equaled ten Estonians. As seen in the battle of St. Matthew's day, less then 3000 German knights won 6000 Estonians with ease and the Estonians had no plate armor or Iron armor. The German knights had ring mail did they not?

I don't know about that - in a book about nordic armies that I have they have pics of estonian maille shirts as well as helms and swords from the 12th century. Of course they had no plate armour - but the german knights had no plate as well up to the mid 14th century when that kind of armour was developed

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 13:13
German knights had some form of brigandine with the end of 13th century, don't know about the Orders in the East.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 07:25

Originally posted by Temujin

German knights had some form of brigandine with the end of 13th century, don't know about the Orders in the East.

Not brigandines (which were a spanish invention of the early 15th century) but coat-of-plates. But at that time the conquests were complete

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 13:43
My bad, i actually saw a picture of an Estonian warrior in chain-mail just a few days ago!!!
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 10:35
Mail had always been present as some sort of luxury item since the early Iron Age. The presence of a medieval Eastern European warrior in mail, if anything, is something to be expected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12