Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Researchers: Ancient Greek contact with America

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Researchers: Ancient Greek contact with America
    Posted: 13-Oct-2013 at 20:16
That the Greeks knew about America and had contacts with it was claimed before but nowadays the claims comes from several leading Aegean researchers. They supply some amazing details Shocked

In 2010 professor I.D. Marialakos ( University of Athens) identified North America as the “great continent” lying  west of the island Ogygia of which Plutarch ( 1-2th century AD) speaks in his          “Concerning the Face Which Appears in the Orb of the Moon”.  ( See references for this revealing  paper) .

Recently, Dr. Minas Tsikritsis, a leading researcher of Aegean scripts, has expanded on the claim. His research provides, among other things, a specific year for one of the journeys : 86 AD.  

Regarding the research of Dr. Minas Tsikritsis, read more in this article ( maps included): 

I am convinced that (some) ancient Greeks knew about the Americas ( and vice-versa). Some may argue that there is ( yet) no archaeological evidence in the form of settlements proving where they stayed exactly but such is irrelevant in the context of visits or geographical knowledge.

Star

References

Prof. I.D. Mariolakos. “ The Forgotton Geographical and Physical-Oceanographic Knowledge of the Pre-Historic Greeks.” Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece, 2010
Proceedings of the 12th International Congress, Patras, May, 2010

Edited by Sander - 13-Oct-2013 at 20:40
 Post Reply Post Reply