Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My heart bleeds for bookshops.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My heart bleeds for bookshops.
    Posted: 05-Jun-2013 at 12:28
Nary a day passes without more squeaks and squeals from bookshops being forced into closing because of the unfairness  of the competition, so they allege. And yet they are generally the greediest, most unhelpful and avaricious breed known to mankind. I was lucky enough to inherit the family library when Pater snuffed it and I have added to it voraciously. Generally, for the benefit of my offspring, I have chosen to complete such incomplete collections as Pa may have started, but for one reason or another was unable to locate. Those booksellers I have generally used for this purpose are inevitably fat, sleek,
gorgeously caparisoned and sparkling with jewellery - two of them drive expensive classic cars ; one an Alvis, t'other a Bristol.    And yet, is there ever even the slightest of discussion on the subject of negotiation ? ..........no, there bloody well isn't !   One even has the brass neck to squeek, " My dear boy, where will my next case of Moët come from if I let you have this book one penny less than the £300 I paid for it ! ".

But now they have had their come uppance !  Never mind those charity stores which sell only books
( and whose prices are rapidly overtaking those of the book shops ), we now have Amazon where good and rare books may be bought for for virtually a couple of pounds plus three quid postage. Thanks to Amazon I have virtually doubled my library and completed many hitherto incomplete collections.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2013 at 22:22
One of the best, chock full of interesting books, old and some antique, in varying languages.... and curios, and mystic and arcane stuff that looked fascinating was in Koln; right next to a whore house and bar.

I was young then and mighty impressed. They should return. Amazon can go to hell.

Amen.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 05-Jun-2013 at 22:24
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2013 at 02:34
Oddly enough, the very best military bookshop I know is also in Germany. It is pretty much next door to 
what is probably one of the finest military museums in the World ( this one runs a close second to the AFV museum in Saumur, France ). This bookshop is in Koblenz. It is run by a wily old lady whose excuses for not giving discounts is legendary ( her last one to me was " you go into a Restuarant and eat a five course dinner , Ja ? Do,you expect a reduction because you have eaten five courses ? Nein !  Why should you then, when buying five books, expect me to to reduce the price of them ! ? ".   I think Eva Braun escaped from the bunker and now flogs books in Koblenz !

PS. What a great place your bookshop is located in ! It only lacks a curry house and then could satisfy all of mans lustful desires
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2013 at 09:53
Koblenz was a great river town.... never met the old eva 'hag like' impersonator tho. just as well. might have liked her.

In my time she might have still been young enough to copulate with....and I would not want to have been potentially responsible for the creation of any more 'goose stepping' types then are already still there.

Cuz that phenom has still to disappear there or in Idaho.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 06-Jun-2013 at 10:06
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2013 at 10:23
You are right, amigo, it surely is a great town. I was supposed to go there next Tuesday for three days but I'm smouldering at the moment over the treatment I got from German immigration officials the last time I went ( I can't help it if I got rat arsed on Gluhwein, the bloody airline hostess kept whacking schnapps doubles into my glass........I'm sure she did ! ). So I'm going fly fishing for trout on the river Test in Hampshire.....without a doubt the finest, purest, classiest Goddamn trout river in the World !

Actually, compadre, nothing other than a leprous, rabid, cancerous and raddled, flea bitten orang outang
would ever countenance fornicating with that scrofulous, bedizened, decomposing old book seller I referred to, and then only because, recognising her soulmate in him, she would entice him by slobbering and drooling enticingly. However, one has to bow down in homage to her military knowledge......and I do !
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2013 at 10:36
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Koblenz was a great river town.... never met the old eva 'hag like' impersonator tho. just as well. might have liked her.

In my time she might have still been young enough to copulate with....and I would not want to have been potentially responsible for the creation of any more 'goose stepping' types then are already still there.

Cuz that phenom has still to disappear there or in Idaho.

I don't know about Idaho, compadre ( never been there ) but when some years ago I spent six months hunting and fishing in Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas ( I visited Canada, but didn't like it so only stayed a week or so - the women were so bloody ugly ! ).......when I went to those US border states I found ultra right wing groups all over the bloody place . I nearly buggered off to Utah, but reckoned I'd prefer to meet Nazis than Mormons.
 Post Reply Post Reply