Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Earth Day 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earth Day 2013
    Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 21:54
Today is Earth Day, pioneered in 1969 by peace activist John McConnell in response to climate change:

http://www.earthday.org/

Edited by Nick1986 - 21-Apr-2013 at 21:54
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 23:41
Trouble is, the scientists haven't yet agreed that the climate is changing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 00:02

Somewhere is a pic. of yours truly on the speakers platform at the first Earth day celeb. in Philly.  Yep, standing right there with Ira Einhorn and Ian McHarg.  Actually I had just got off the bus by Independence Sq. and heard the live band they had.  I walked up so I could get a better view of the drummer.  The pic was taken by the FBI natch.   I always chuckled about them trying to figure out who the hell I was.Big smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 00:08
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Trouble is, the scientists haven't yet agreed that the climate is changing.

They might when they start seeing strawberries grown in Greenland. Wink

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2013 at 08:07
The climate has always been changing.... It was never stable. 
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2013 at 11:51
Hi earthmen...and women!Earthwomen?!?Red line for error?!?Why?We are equal&different...LOL
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2013 at 12:11
Originally posted by TITAN_

The climate has always been changing.... It was never stable. 

Agreed, our planet is a living thing.  It's in constant change.  But for the last 5,000 years,  the climate has been relatively stable.

However, it's not changed this rapidly before.  10 years ago Greenland"s agriculture was subsistance level only.  They were just barely able to grow enough to feed themselves.

They now grow enough to become a food exporter.  And have the potential to be a major food source for Northern Europe.
They started off growing cold weather crops.  They announced this year that they will be exporting Strawberries in 2 years.
As the Greenland Ice pack continues to recede, more cropland is being reclaimed.

The projection is that in 20 years there will be no Greenland Ice Pack.  That's rapid change, compared with normal Geologic time.  

I worked in Horticulture most of my adult life. The US is divided into growing zones, 2 being the coldest, and 12 the hottest.  NJ is in what was once zone 6.  It's now divided into 6A and 6B.
 30 years ago, you couldn't be sure that a plant rated for zone 7 the next warmest zone,  would be hardy in zone 6.  Not so now.  Many plants previously hardy only in the warmer zones are being used as far north as zones 5 and 4.
In most cases it's not the plant adapting, it's the climate in those areas becoming milder and winters shorter.

In my studies of the Archaic People who inhabited my region, I've found that 4-6,000 bce, this area was sub tropical.  It didn't freeze here, and it was exceptionally wet.
The area wasn't heavily wooded, most of it was similar to Savannah. 

The climate change took place over a period of roughly 1500 years, by the time the Lenape arrived, these original peoples were gone.  So were the grasslands that had been here.  The region had become heavily wooded, hence the designation "woodland period".  The region also had a "winter".

Consider the impact change such as that would have if it occurred over a very short time, like 50 years or less, and then hang on to your butt, as I believe that is the kind of shift we're going through now.

Unknown.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2013 at 03:22
The real question is how much do enviromental calamities and air polution affect our climate...
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2013 at 09:27
Sun rules the climate changes!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by TITAN_

The real question is how much do enviromental calamities and air polution affect our climate...

I'm not aware of any man made didasters that radically impacted our environment.  But the thing I wasn't aware of when this thread started, was that the climate change I refd. to above, happened in a matter of days.

Science even has a date, 3123 bce.  There was an asteroid impact somewhere in the Urals.  It's what wiped out Sodom and Gommorah.  It's also blamed for the Sahara turning arid.

There was an almost immediate global effect.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply