Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Security vs. personal freedoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security vs. personal freedoms
    Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 18:28
With the latest apparently terrorist attacks in Boston...the question is raised once again. And I say 'apparently' in lieu of further evidence and analysis. As the perps may be indeed as Red pointed out elsewhere of any faction and ideological bent.

What level of security is required? Acceptable? Are those not based on collective experience and always subject to change and or amendment?

This is not an easy question given the still uncertain of the latest incident. Ntl..based on past experience is a 'patriot act' and creation of additional federal agencies, now in hind sight a worthy decision?

Or is it, as it will be no doubt countered, nothing more then a 'given' of the human condition in this moment in time and now impacting in America. And any action then, a sop.

Will the reaction, no matter the perpetrator and agendas, be an over reaction where potential further erosion of civil liberties are seen to enhance collective security?

This thread is in reference to the American experience; hence focus on it if your going to respond.

*As a side note....My personal best and well wishes to the victims in Boston.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 03:19
Unfortunately, terrorism cannot be totally eliminated, unless citizens end up like completely controlled robots.  Moreover, the reason those bombs got installed in the first place, is simply lack of technology that allows the authorities to track certain explosive mechanisms. So, if you asked me, I'd say the solution is NOT further erosion of civil liberties, BUT further development of anti-terrorist mechanisms.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 07:45
Or are required too by fascist or communistic totalitarian governments.
But your point is apt.

And I agree it is impossible to entirely stop lunatics of whatever political or theological or ideological agenda. The technology is there but the willingness to completely 'big brother', a community is not. And then of course there is the divise nature of the politics involved.

Hence the conundrum.... hence the dilemma.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply