Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jewish influences on Muhammed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jewish influences on Muhammed
    Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 19:29
Jews and Muslims have many things in common: they share the same ancestor (Abraham) and worship the same God (Allah/Yahweh). Before founding Islam, Muhammed himself followed many older Jewish traditions: circumcision, not eating pork, and growing a long beard. Is it possible he was born into a Jewish family, or perhaps a stricter, more conservative branch of Christianity closer to the early church?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2013 at 18:03

I dismiss all tradition relating to Muhammad because I strongly believe it to be fictitious and created to fill a huge historical gap. But aside from that, I would agree that there are many similarities between Judaism and Islam. You can look at it as one religion influencing the other or a continuation of much older teachings reformed in another mould.

The Quran does not prescribe circumcision nor growing long beards. These were traditions that later Muslims adopted along the way. But either way, as I just said, there are many similarities.

I would discard the theory that he was born to a Jewish or Christian family mainly on the grounds of the Quran itself. The Quran clearly says that the people to whom Muhammad was sent were the ''Ummiyin'' which has been misconstrued by traditional scholars as meaning ''The illiterate (people)'' but which in the context of the scripture itself means illiterate in regards to books of divine origin. The reason for this title is well-expounded upon in the Quran where it says that his people never had any books (revelations) to study. So from that we can easily discard that he was born into a Jewish or Christian family.

What is clear though is that the place in which he lived was slightly influenced by Jewish and Syriac culture. I infer this from the fact that the Quran itself uses many words that are of Hebrew or Syriac origin. The Quran says that prophets are only sent to speak in the language of their people so one must rule out that the Quran is using words that might sound cryptic to the people who were addressed by it. Also, the name Muhammad is the Arabic counterpart of Yehuda (Judas), which was a very common name in Jewish culture and still is.

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2013 at 20:27
Not every Christian had access to books. In ancient Rome, many were slaves and peasants: the lowest rank in society
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2013 at 10:31
Originally posted by Nick1986

Not every Christian had access to books. In ancient Rome, many were slaves and peasants: the lowest rank in society

Then I guess it is a possibility. But what I meant is that the majority of Jews and Christians in his community would not have had a book to study. They probably just converted through the influence of their neighbours and kept many of their pagan practices such as worship of female godesses as angels and daughters of God...etc

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2013 at 21:25
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Then I guess it is a possibility. But what I meant is that the majority of Jews and Christians in his community would not have had a book to study. They probably just converted through the influence of their neighbours and kept many of their pagan practices such as worship of female godesses as angels and daughters of God...etc

Very similar to Christians during the Middle Ages. In some places Catholics worshipped saints as demigods and believed they had magical powers to intercede in the mortal world
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2013 at 09:43

Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Very similar to Christians during the Middle Ages. In some places Catholics worshipped saints as demigods and believed they had magical powers to intercede in the mortal world

You don't have to go that far. Even in early Christianity people used to call upon angels for intercession.

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2013 at 19:40
One of the first Christian kingdoms was in Ethiopia. Before Muhammed's birth, the Arabs and Ethiopians went to war
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 16:46

One of the first Christian kingdoms was in Ethiopia. Before Muhammed's birth, the Arabs and Ethiopians went to war

South Arabians of Yemen, yes. But the Northern Arabs played no part in this war.

Timidi mater non flet
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 17:21
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

well i dont think people worship them but just respect them or ask them protection and healing or something like that which require magical power in place where  i bone there is a place name khaled nabi very mysterious place  i can see stone human Statue jugs its said they are first turkmens who didint accept islam so god khalid nabi turn them into stone !! :D so rest of yomud turkmens become muslem :D

turkmen pray to him and ask forgiveness

he is full name is khalid son of sanan from arab ghishi clan he was Christian and he keep saying muhammad will come one day !!  he born in yaman :O 42 year b4 muhammad and die in 525 A.D  crazy hun ?? still some people fear him and think he can turn people in to stone !!!
yomud are free people
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 01:27
On the other hand he may have been a prophet. I generally leave those types alone and give them a healthy respect.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 09:49

I will let you know about something interesting that you may not be aware of. You may have heard ''Muslims'' talk about the Haj which is usually translated as ''pilgrimage'' but it actually is in itself a word that comes from both the Hebrew ''Chag'' and Syriac-Aramaic ''Hagga'' which in both languages mean religious feast or festival. The really interesting part is that the pilgrimage festival described in the Quran is literally none other than Passover or ''Pesach'' which is described in the Tanakh, the Hebrew bible. There are a few differences but the general outline of the festival is the same and it's time of occurrence is also in the aviv, or to be more precise, during the appearance of the first moon of spring which occurs around the 13th of March but changes on a yearly basis.

The pilgrimage described in the Quran is quite different than what ''Muslims'' do in Mekkah, it's unrecognisably different. All of the rituals that are observed in Mekkah are mere additions like the throwing of stones on the idol of the devil, kissing the black stone, circulating around the ''kaaba'', running between the two mountains (Safa and Marwa)

Timidi mater non flet
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 01:01
No wonder they hate each other. Nothing like a argument over religion and interps of dogma that will get a good fatwa pronounced resulting in a jihad against enemies eh.

The counter of course is a good Catholic Papal Bull and a Crusade or two.

Whole f*cking region's as crazy as a Branch Davidians.

Whole planet needs an enema.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 20:46
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

No wonder they hate each other. Nothing like a argument over religion and interps of dogma that will get a good fatwa pronounced resulting in a jihad against enemies eh.

The counter of course is a good Catholic Papal Bull and a Crusade or two.

Whole f*cking region's as crazy as a Branch Davidians.

Whole planet needs an enema.

Every organised religion probably has its share of bigots and fundamentalists: Islamists, Jesuits, Zionists, and America's Westboro Baptists
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 00:57
Yup...like I said: Whole planet needs an enema.

S. T. Friedman

TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 05:58

Or maybe the whole planet needs to re-think the role of religion in society... Wink
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 21:40
Originally posted by TITAN_

Or maybe the whole planet needs to re-think the role of religion in society... Wink

Not the whole planet, just the extremists. Islamists and fundamentalist Christians should sort their own lives out and leave it to God to judge the sinners.
Shadow View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2014 at 14:59
"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood". Otto Von Bismarck(believe it!)
 Post Reply Post Reply