Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The real Indiana Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The real Indiana Jones
    Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 16:06

This is Hiram Bingham, the treasure hunter who inspired Spielberg's films. He is best known for discovering the lost Inca city of Machu Picchu in 1908:
http://www.retronaut.com/2013/01/hiram-bingham-the-real-indiana-jones/
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 18:15
Err...ummm...". Bingham has been cited as one possible basis for the “Indiana Jones” character”
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2013 at 19:51
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Err...ummm...". Bingham has been cited as one possible basis for the “Indiana Jones” character”

There were other inspirations? Who?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2013 at 15:34
Oh there were a number of real life candidates and, fictional ones based on movies and tv serials and adventure story's of the 40's thru 50's. Even allegedly ole James Bond. Much more if ya check wiki on his inspiration.

My more interesting speculation about him was whether he was a real archaeologist in the accepted manner of the day or more a 'tomb robber'; or both.

At least in the latter sense he wasn't much different then his real world predecessors..
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 19:51
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Oh there were a number of real life candidates and, fictional ones based on movies and tv serials and adventure story's of the 40's thru 50's. Even allegedly ole James Bond. Much more if ya check wiki on his inspiration.

My more interesting speculation about him was whether he was a real archaeologist in the accepted manner of the day or more a 'tomb robber'; or both.

At least in the latter sense he wasn't much different then his real world predecessors..

Most archaeologists at that time started out as treasure hunters. The real treasure, however, was the carved stone, pottery and bones from the inhabitants of vanished civilisations
rebeccastephen View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rebeccastephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2014 at 04:58
Well that's interesting. I never knew that their existed a guy like him. Thanks for sharing it with us. Good for the fans of Indiana Jones.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2014 at 07:51
Batman&Superman also existed?!?Smile
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2014 at 08:55
Did George Lucas actually originated the idea and gave it to Speilberg?
Lucas had alot of influences:
http://noneinc.com/Archive/Nerf-Herder-Anonymous/Original%20Webpages/Reverse%20References.html
 Post Reply Post Reply