Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black and Tans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black and Tans
    Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 08:14
During the Irish war of Independence, the British increased the size of the police force in Ireland by recruiting WWI veterans. Attired in black police jackets and khaki army trousers, these auxiliaries gained a reputation for brutality and criminality. Were the Tans as bad as the Irish claim, or were the killings the acts of a small minority?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2013 at 09:24
Nobody's denying the IRA also committed many atrocities: torturing and murdering prisoners. Guerilla warfare is a dirty war where both sides terrorise civilians into submission
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Sixteen String Jack View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote Sixteen String Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 13:33
To the Irish there were two Black and Tans.  There were men who joined the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) as Temporary Constables during the Irish War of Independence (1919-1921) when some Irish wanted Ireland to secede from the UK, and there were the Auxiliary Division, which was a counter-insurgency unit of the RIC made up of former British officers.  The Irish saw both of these groups as the Black and Tans.  In reality, though, only the former were real Black and Tans.

Here's a 1921 photo of a group of the real Black and Tans in Dublin at a time when what is now the Republic of Ireland was still part of the UK (it seceded from the Union the year after).

The now Republic of Ireland seceding from the UK in 1922 when, at one point, most Irish were against doing so, was one of the great tragedies of the 20th Century.

Edited by Sixteen String Jack - 16-Apr-2013 at 13:42
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 01:59
Originally posted by Nick1986

During the Irish war of Independence, the British increased the size of the police force in Ireland by recruiting WWI veterans. Attired in black police jackets and khaki army trousers, these auxiliaries gained a reputation for brutality and criminality. Were the Tans as bad as the Irish claim, or were the killings the acts of a small minority?

In my view, the Black and Tans were a group of Protestant ex-servicemen, whose sole aim was to put down the Catholics. No doubt there were good men among them, but as a group, they were ruthless. They were eventually replaced by Protestant part time Police, called the "B Specials". The Black and Tans were an official part of the British Law and Order response. The IRA were not an organisation recognised by either the Irish Free State (Eire) or the Six Counties (Ulster).
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2014 at 18:30
I just like the beer! Smile

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply