Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Indian mathematician

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: The greatest Indian mathematician of ancient and medieval India
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [60.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Master1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Master1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Indian mathematician
    Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 07:45
Who was the greatest Indian mathematician of ancient or medieval India?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 08:00
Tell us more about everyone of them Master,please!Smile
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 12:37
This is a greatly neglected area I think, and look forward to delving into this subject, plus hearing opinions from others. Brahmagupta must be a good candidate, due to creating rules for the use of zero.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Master1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Master1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 15:47
Aryabhata, Brahmagupta and Madhava of Sangamagrama were probably the greatest mathematicians in Indian history.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 17:57
I have never even heard of all these mathematicians except for Aryabhata and Mahavira. As far as I know Aryabhata's discoveries and published work was an essential basis for all the later contributions. His discoveries in astronomy, algebra and trigonometry seem pretty advanced for his time and I think he already used the concept of zero even though he wasn't the first to give it its own numeral.

Perhaps if we could hear more about the other mathematicians it would be easier for us to judge.

Timidi mater non flet
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 09:25
There is no doubt that Aryabhata of north India and Madhava of south India
were the greatest Indian mathematicians of ancient and medieval period.
Both Indian mathematicians founded schools which created some of the greatest
mathematical works of ancient and medieval period.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 09:47
Master1 and Lord12 are one in the same.  Suspended for dual idents.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2013 at 00:10
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Perhaps if we could hear more about the other mathematicians it would be easier for us to judge.

Bhaskara II is the Father of Calculus .He invented the basics of Differentiation and Integration. He stated the law of Gravitation 400 years before Newton. Note that Brahmagupta also stated it around 650 AD

Both Calculus and Gravitation are wrongly attributed to Newton.  Newton applied calculus to analytically derive it.  But Bhaskara had already Unified Mathematics and Physics when he calculated the instantaneous velocities of planets ---a major leap in the history of science.

His Lilavati was translated by Al Khwarizmi (I dont know the spelling) . AND MOST UNFORGIVABLY HE IS CALLED THE FATHER OF ALGEBRA

From a paper of CK Raju I once read but cant remember which ...

" Brahmagupta’s Brahma Sphuta Siddhanta (650 AD)was translated into Arabic in 773 and was subsequently translated into Latin in 1126. In Europe, the equation 61x2 + 1 = y2 was “independently rediscovered” in 1727 by Leonhard Euler, while the general solution to Pell's equation was found much later by Joseph Louis Lagrange in 1767. Meanwhile, many centuries ago, the general solution to Pell's equation was recorded by Bhaskara II in 1150, using a modified version of Brahmagupta's chakravala method. Bhaskara also found solutions to other indeterminate quadratic, cubic, quartic, and higher-order polynomial equations. Narayana Pandit further improved on the chakravala method and found more general solutions to other indeterminate quadratic and higher-order polynomial equations......"

So Bhaskara has the following titles...

Father of Analytical science
Father of Differential calculus
Father of Gravitation
Father of Mathematical Physics.

The results in Bhaskaras work start miraculously appearing in the works of many like Fermat, Newton, Leibniz, Gregory etc.

Madhava continued Bhaskaras work . He perfected Calculus and his works were translated and taken to Europe by Jesuit missionaries in Kerala  and starts getting claimed by atleast 5 European mathematicians including Newton .

Newton vs Madhava is propably the most heated debate in the history of Science. It can be resolved only if those original documents are brought out of Paris. There is intense nationalism involved on both sides when it comes to this.

Aryabhatta is a sort of Father figure for Bharata mathematicians. All of them--Brahmagupta, Bhaskara and Madhava considered themselves as continuing his work

Aryabhatta is the undisputable father of Algebra . And I dare argue that he lived way back in 2700 BC

Pingala invented the binary code and such logical constructs like the Pascals triangle and the fibonacci series--(Both which reached Fibonacci and Pascal through the Brahmasputasiddhanta). Also his contribution in probability theory are impressive.

And I am tired of typing....

Edited by SuryaVajra - 04-Jun-2013 at 00:14
 Post Reply Post Reply