Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crusader castles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crusader castles
    Posted: 06-Feb-2013 at 15:48
Agreed. I'm surprised how well preserved some of them are
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2013 at 19:20
Bodrum Castle near Aegean Sea.

http://www.bodrumguide.com/pictures/bodrum-panorama.jpghttp://www.bodrum-guide.org/Upload/rehber/%7BFC258DDF-9395-4007-B193-E1EB8E73D3F1%7D.jpg
http://scs03.resimyukle.com/files/view/ryu.pho.img/694/86/bodrum-kalesi_3.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TO9WeDWAjqs/T_SiNM9f14I/AAAAAAAAAFA/SMvEoGvhkog/s1600/bodrum_kalesi.jpg
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2013 at 09:10

This mosque looks like it was once a church. I've seen similar windows on medieval buildings in the UK
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2013 at 15:59
Originally posted by Nick1986

This mosque looks like it was once a church. I've seen similar windows on medieval buildings in the UK

99%, you are right
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 08:20
According to this book, Crusader castles were built to last: using squared blocks of stone, not rubble
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UalnoF5MBHMC&lpg=PA468&dq=crusader%20castle&pg=PA468#v=onepage&q&f=false
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2013 at 20:03
Ollios do you have pictures of St Hillarian castle in Girne on the Turkish side of Cyprus, it's one of the most spectacular castles, they say Disney based some castle designs on it. 

Also another question, most these castles seem like they were to keep out the Turks. 

There were a few built by Turks as well, Alanya Castle, Rumelihisar, Anadoluhisar spring to mind but do you know any more Turkish forts or castles. There are quite a few outside Turkey, how about inside?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2013 at 00:43
Originally posted by Bulldog

Ollios do you have pictures of St Hillarian castle in Girne on the Turkish side of Cyprus, it's one of the most spectacular castles, they say Disney based some castle designs on it.

Snow White's Castle
http://fractionsoftheworld.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/snow-whites-castle/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Hilarion_Castle

Also another question, most these castles seem like they were to keep out the Turks.

The topic is about Crusader Castles so that's normal. However just castles which are north of the Antioch and Kilikia. In the south side, the biggest thread was Egypt, not Turks

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2013 at 03:54

There were a few built by Turks as well, Alanya Castle, Rumelihisar, Anadoluhisar spring to mind but do you know any more Turkish forts or castles. There are quite a few outside Turkey, how about inside?

There is no need to rediscover the America. Many Turkish cities have a long history, so they have already had castles. Why would the Ottomans build a new one instead of using old one? They used many Roman castles with small or huge reconstruction or restoration. Didn't those Turkish forts? What did you mean with "Turkish forts or castles"?

*First one is rising on Roman Castle. I am not an expert so I can't say something like: this wall is Roman wall, that one is Ottoman or I can't decide like that this castle was rebuilt/ much reconstructed so there is no any connection with Roman history.

*Second one was completly build by Ottomans. There was no ruin or old castle.

Mamura Castle
"The Castle was later on enlarged and used by the Byzantine Empire and the Crusades. When Anatolian Seljuk Sultan Aleaddin Keykubat I captured the ruins of the castle in 1221, he built a larger castle partially using the foundation of the former castle"
http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5734/

Kilitbahir Castle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilitbahir_Castle

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2013 at 07:59
Originally posted by Ollios

There is no need to rediscover the America. Many Turkish cities have a long history, so they have already had castles. Why would the Ottomans build a new one instead of using old one? They used many Roman castles with small or huge reconstruction or restoration. Didn't those Turkish forts? What did you mean with "Turkish forts or castles"?

First of all great pictures! 

St Hillarion's castle really is an amazing place and was still used as a resistance stronghold just 40 years ago! 

By Turkish forts I mean did the Selcuks/Beyliks/Ottomans build their own forts. Strategic areas can change, new borders, new foes etc 
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2013 at 10:42

By Turkish forts I mean did the Selcuks/Beyliks/Ottomans build their own forts. Strategic areas can change, new borders, new foes etc 

You have mentioned about Alanya Castle, but it is rising on Roman Castle. How can we decided? I don't now that was it really rebuilt or did ottomans make just a few restoration?(In Alanya case, I think first one, but it is not always easy to decide.) But I understood you. Here they are.

KİLİTBAHİR CASTLE (1462) Which is one of my favourite

KALE-İ SULTANİYE (1462)

KUMKALE CASTLE (1657-59)

SEDDÜLBAHİR CASTLE (1657-59)

BABAKALE CASTLE (1723-?)

NARA CASTLE (1807-1820)

BİGALI CASTLE (1807-1820)

ÇAMBURNU CASTLE  (1839-1861)

These are castles just in Çanakkale Province

There should be Ottoman Castle outside of Turkey like Yeni Kale(New Castle) in Ukranie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeni-Kale

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 19:27
Roman ruins are often used as a basis for later fortifications. Dover Castle is built around an old lighthouse, and the wall of Portchester Castle was once part of a Roman fort
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2013 at 11:08
Originally posted by Nick1986

Roman ruins are often used as a basis for later fortifications. Dover Castle is built around an old lighthouse, and the wall of Portchester Castle was once part of a Roman fort

Yes of course. for example Castle of Tenedos in that region is that kind of Castle. Ottoman was build a new castle with using the old ones stone.

And also Romans used ancient castle too

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2013 at 13:39
Originally posted by Ollios

[QUOTE=Bulldog]Ollios do you have pictures of St Hillarian castle in Girne on the Turkish side of Cyprus, it's one of the most spectacular castles, they say Disney based some castle designs on it.

Disney based his castle on this one - NeuSchwanstein in Germany - one of several built by Mad Ludwig:

Edited by Mountain Man - 14-Mar-2013 at 13:40
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2013 at 19:50

How about these Bulldog?
http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/city/kyrenia/castle/sthilarion/index.html
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 20:47

Some of the towers of Disney's castle do look similar to minarets, especially the tallest one with the gold spire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12