Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tanks vs Trains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tanks vs Trains
    Posted: 17-Dec-2012 at 21:22
Inspired by an ad on Military History, would a bang-bang or a choo-choo come off better in a fight?

An armored train steams its way across the Eastern Front. The mission of this land battleship: transport the troops and supplies to the frontline

Lying in wait on the other side of the river is a Panzer division tasked with stopping the train from reaching its destination. Both crews are experienced veterans armed with the most up-to-date technology in 1942
Who wins?

Edited by Nick1986 - 17-Dec-2012 at 21:31
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2012 at 00:37
The tank shoots the train tracks and buggers off to the pub.

Edited by Toltec - 18-Dec-2012 at 00:38
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2012 at 09:45
Doesn't sound like much of a fight. Would it make any difference if it was a German train against Russian tanks?
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2012 at 10:58
Do German trains use tracks?
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2012 at 11:28
Depends on a lot of unspecified factors, such as terrain, weather and range of engagement.  Blowing up the tracks isn't the answer, because the train crew could equally well mine the ground the Tigers have to cross.

On the whole, the train has less mobility - again depending on unspecified factors - so I would put the probability slightly on the side of the tanks.  However, the train can carry larger weapons and a larger ammo supply, and has a company of troops as part of it's complement.

Mexican stand-off.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 12:40

Russian train with tank turrets. Some carriages were fitted with naval guns
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2013 at 12:07

Armoured train Hurban by fugue:state, on Flickr
This Czechoslovakian armored train took on German Panzers and won. The Hurban's crew of 71 repulsed the Horst Wessel division, abandoned the train in a tunnel, and fought on as partisans
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2013 at 13:43
Railroads were vital to the war efforts of all land armies in WWII, and those who lost control of their rails generally lost their battles. Neither the tank nor the train is a complete combat system unto itself. Except in exceptional circumstances, tanks rely upon other arms and services to provide the condition upon which they can exploit their mobility on the battlefield. Where they can't, armored forces conduct support efforts and small armor elements can become infantry supporting arms.

The armored train is echelons above armor. It can serve as a mobile command and logistics base for corps and below level mobile forces who will operate near and away from the rail lines, or it may simply be a means of protecting itself against partisans and the occasional deep penetration forces in the rear. Note how drastically the airplane effected rail transport between the Russian Civil War period and World War II.

Train versus tank alone is unlikely on any post WWII battlefield. Even the Panzer Divisions had Panzergrenadiers, Panzer engineers, etc. The French used an Armored train to keep the railroad open between Saigon and Nha Trang during the First Indochina War, and most of its operations were between Phan Thiet and Nha Trang. Further north on that same line, which ran from Saigon to Hanoi before the war, the Viet Minh ran their own train to pick up supplies landed on the coast and deliver them through Central Vietnam. By day, the train hid in rail tunnels. In 1949 French naval commandos landed at Sa Huynh to attack those tunnels destroyed the rolling stock, and damaged the locomotive. Sa Huynh is near the border of Quang Ngai and Binh Dinh provinces.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 11:47
I would have to consider just what types of cannon were mounted on the train. It would be easy to make the train carry heavier armor, that could not be defeated by tank rounds, and extra ammo would also favor the train. If indeed the train was fitted with naval guns, then they would have a decided advantage in range and destructive power.

The terrain surrounding the battle would also determine the outcome, since the train with naval guns could control a situation in open flat spaces similar to Naval engagements, that is nothing interferes with the ability of the fire control team to see the enemy tanks even 10 or more miles away and since the train stood taller than the tanks it could see the enemy tanks at greater distances.

The real problem for the train, is that would be easy to cut it off and trap it. Then it would merely be a matter of time before its supplies ran out, and surrender begun. It would become just another smaller version of the Maginot Line, ignored.

Air power is another matter however.

Regards, Ron

Edited by opuslola - 04-Dec-2013 at 11:49
 Post Reply Post Reply