Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Armed and Ready

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armed and Ready
    Posted: 07-May-2005 at 07:52

Just managed to borrow MY digital camera back from the girlfriend. It's been so long I've forgotten how to use it, so the images are a bit ropey.

Tepiztopolli

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 07:58

Mixtec Sabres

Edited by Paul

Markolitos View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Markolitos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 14:41

how much would it cost to get you to make one and ship it ?

those are awsome!!! btw, that spear, Tepiztopolli, are there any acounts of what they did to cavalry?

that last mixtec sabre looks like a katana(well alittle anyways)

Edited by Markolitos
"The Christ that you speak of died, the Sun and Moon never die, besides how do you know your god created the world?" -Atahualpa
King Chulalongkorn View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote King Chulalongkorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 16:11
Very intricate designs..
Kha Wora Phutthachao Nop Phra Phumiban Bunya Direk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2005 at 05:43
Originally posted by Markolitos

how much would it cost to get you to make one and ship it ?

those are awsome!!! btw, that spear, Tepiztopolli, are there any acounts of what they did to cavalry?

that last mixtec sabre looks like a katana(well alittle anyways)

I think any spear would be excellent against cavalry, however by all accounts Aztecs didn't have much success against Spanish horse. My guess is because of the way they used them. They fought individually and probably developed 1 to 1 infantry fighting styles with it. For example Chinese martial arts pole arm fighting, more swinging than thrusting. The Tepiztopolli is certainly not a great thrusting weapon, many didn't even have a point. However the blades on the side make it great at cutting.

In Diaz it mentions that when Cortes went off to fight Navaez they trained some Tlaxcallans to face cavalry, which I think supports the above argument. The Spanish I guess taught them to form a close formation spear unit.

The Mixtec Quetzalcoatl Sabre is a beautiful weapon, out of all the Meso-American weapons I've made, this one handles like a dream. Also the oblique angle the obsidian hits at means it easily outcuts a Katana.

As for making them for sale. At the moment my interest in making them it two fold. To test them by clobbering things with them and to learn how they were made, Eg: the skills, materials and methods. The nuances of making them are, Materials = Cheap but hard to get, Manufacture time = Relatively quick but highly skilled and difficult to learn, Research very very difficult and time consuming.

The Tepiztoppoli I'm far from perfecting, most of it's authentic right down to the foot long tropical parrot feathers, but a few problems remain with the recipe for one of the glues and the paint (I'm still to learn to make prehistoric paint). Mixtec Sabres, I've just made another to a different design and am still to perfect them. I need to do more research. For the Aztec broadswords I made two more, one the steriotypical paddle that handles terrible and one a really simple design used by the masses that handles wonderfully. It's undecorated and simple to make and would seem the best candidate to go into comercial production of. Finally I've just completed a two-handed allied sword, actually more like an axe or pole arm that's very nice complete with rattan shield and feathers like the tepiztopolli but suffers from the paint problem as that.

In short I could make you something but it would be better to wait a bit, I still not to an ability or authenticity level I'm comfortable with.

Edited by Paul

Markolitos View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Markolitos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2005 at 07:12

wow man, thanks for the answer!

also, have you tried you know the test cutting on a dummy and compared that sabre with the katana?

"The Christ that you speak of died, the Sun and Moon never die, besides how do you know your god created the world?" -Atahualpa
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2005 at 19:23

Awesome Job, Paul !
You should open a gallery with your valuable pieces.
Regards
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2005 at 22:00
Paul,

I am always amazed by your work. I think that you will like to know this story too. I have a nephew in the sixth grade who was doing a unit on the aztecs, and I gave him the link to look at your work. He wrote me back saying how impressed he was with your weapons.
 Post Reply Post Reply