Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If there was no Islamic conquests?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If there was no Islamic conquests?
    Posted: 03-Sep-2012 at 14:48
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Avicenna, the greatest Persian polymaths says about the wine:

Halal gasht be fatvaye aql bar dana, haram gasht be fatvaye Shar' bar nadan

It is halal (prescribed) by wise intellect, it is haram (forbidden) by ignorant Sharia (Islamic law).

However it is true that religion and science are two opposite ways but early Persian, Turkic and Arab kings and caliphs were really tolerable rulers, Buyid and Samanid Persians were certainly the best ones, the greatest scientists were in that period, then Abbasid Caliphs and Seljuk Turks, you can read the poems of Khayyam to understand this thing.

Avicenna is actually right, wine is as halal as grapes are. Anyway, the main point I guess is that research and academia was promoted for a decent portion of Islamic history in different places (especially Andalus and Persia). There were of course many acts of intolerance and I think the biggest downfall occurred when Al Razi made Fatwas condemning mathematics as the devil's work.

I would be quite neutral when approaching Islamic history, it brought many intellectual benefits that one can't deny but it involved conquest, slavery and a hint of religious intolerance (make that a spoonful Wink )
Timidi mater non flet
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2014 at 01:12
And an from any reasonable site we would not see such?

I think most all events given to the followers of Muhammed are contrived?

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
julian-the-apostate View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote julian-the-apostate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 14:42
If the Islamic conquests hadn't happened, or put it another way, if the Roman legions sent by Emperor Heraclius had defeated the Muslim army at the battle of Yarmouk in 636, sending them back into Arabia, I expect they Romans would have gone on to invade and Arabia would have become a province.

In 26AD Augustus had sent an army to Arabia Felix (Yemen) to try and grab the frankincense and spice trades under the Praefect of Egjypt, Aelius Gallus.

On the larger scale, with no Muslim conquests, the Eastern Roman Empire would no doubt have quickly recovered from the wars with Persia and most likely, Italy would eventually have been recovered from the Lombards.

With Italy back in Imperial hands, no doubt in time the entire Empire would have been reunited.

With a bit of luck, the Church would have been become simply a organ of state in the same way the colleges of priests had been in Pagan times and Roman-Greek civilisation resumed normal service.
Carthago delander est
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 21:50
I concur!, but I do not agree!

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 11-Jan-2014 at 21:52
julian-the-apostate View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote julian-the-apostate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 05:29
You do Ron, Ron?

You do Ron, Ron?
Carthago delander est
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 17:22
Yes I do! We are now married! Kiss me you fool! LOL

Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12