Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lawrence of Arabia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lawrence of Arabia
    Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:06

Following the disastrous withdrawal from Gallipoli the British planned to instigate an Arab uprising against the Turks. Archaeologist T.E. Lawrence was sent to work with Sherif Husein and his son Faisal, future king of Iraq, ultimately capturing Damascus from the weakened Turkish army 
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 23:59
A very dynamic, yet waspish sort of fellow...with an inferiority complex coupled to a huge ego, imo.
But was he instruemental in the war effort? Damn straight he was. And there's never ever been another Anglo to gain the confidences and trust of the Arabs since him. He was in a word: unique.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 00:30
Many many years ago I was in Azrac, met the son of one of the Arab tribal leaders who let me look through his photograph collection of his father and Lawrence on campaign during the Arab revolt.

Edited by Toltec - 29-Aug-2012 at 00:30
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 15:33
My kind of a guySmile An adventurer in a search of an edge - and did important things on the way. I like him.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 19:26
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 19:52
Besides his adventures in the desert, Lawrence served in the Tank Corps and the RAF. Sadly, he died prematurely in a motorcycle crash after the war
 Post Reply Post Reply