Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cherubs in the bible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cherubs in the bible
    Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 15:15
Whenever the word cherub is mentioned everyone thinks of cute babies with wings. What I'm interested in is the original sense of the word Cherub כְּרוּב mentioned in the bible. What are they supposed to be, some sort of guardian angels or the means through which God moves about in heaven (Ezekiels's vision)?
Timidi mater non flet
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 18:59
As far as I remember they were huge winged creatures that God used for transport, and pretty fierce. God placed a cherub with a flaming sword at the entrance to Eden, to stop Adam or his descendants returning. Two golden cherubim were placed on top the Ark of the Covenant, and God would speak to the priests from between from.

It's assumed that the cherubim (along with other types of angels) were inspired from Babylonian mythology, but they have lots of winged creatures, so it seems pot luck on which one you claim as the origin.

There seems uncertainty about what the word means; Hebrew for 'great understanding', or Assyrian for 'to be near'. This site http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Cherubim.htmlhas some suggestions.

The cute baby cherubs are also called putti or cupids. I'd be interested to know how and why the image changed.

Edited by Sidney - 21-Jun-2012 at 18:59
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 19:06
Cherubs were just one type of angel or heavenly being. Among the most unusual were the six-winged Seraphim
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 11:38
I have talked in this thread: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22988 about Greek Grupa (Griffin), Hebrew Kerubh, Assyrian Kuribu, Akkadian Kuruba from Avestan Khurupa/Urupa (Uru=eagle + Pa=foot -> Quadruped Eagle), as Herodotus says this legendary creature lived in Scythia to guard its gold.  (Herodotus. History, Book IV, verse 13)

Relief of a Assyrian Kuribu from Ashurnasirpal II's palace at Nimrud:

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 11:55
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by Sidney

As far as I remember they were huge winged creatures that God used for transport, and pretty fierce. God placed a cherub with a flaming sword at the entrance to Eden, to stop Adam or his descendants returning. Two golden cherubim were placed on top the Ark of the Covenant, and God would speak to the priests from between from.

It's assumed that the cherubim (along with other types of angels) were inspired from Babylonian mythology, but they have lots of winged creatures, so it seems pot luck on which one you claim as the origin.

There seems uncertainty about what the word means; Hebrew for 'great understanding', or Assyrian for 'to be near'. This site http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Cherubim.htmlhas some suggestions.

The cute baby cherubs are also called putti or cupids. I'd be interested to know how and why the image changed.

Perhaps the Cupids were borrowed from Classical paganism by the early Christians? There's also the messenger angel Gabriel who could be identified with Mercury
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2012 at 11:36
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by Sidney

Perhaps the Cupids were borrowed from Classical paganism by the early Christians? There's also the messenger angel Gabriel who could be identified with Mercury
Well Gabriel was around in the Old Testament age before any serious contact with Greek paganism...

The application of Cupid's image to Cherubs probably was influenced by Greek mythology on the other hand.
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply