Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plain of Jars: Laos mystery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sharwina_7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plain of Jars: Laos mystery
    Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 13:28
southEast Asia contain alot of mystery things.  i believe each country have something mysterious place or mystery story in their history. lets share the mystery side of southEast Asia.

let me start with what i can recall:
1-cambodia
Angkor Wat in Cambodia is considered the world's largest religious temple complex ever constructed. and there are so many thing still mystery to us.
2-Laos
The Plain of Jars in Lao is one of the most mysterious places of earth. They are estimated to be between 1500 and 2000 years old. No-one knows what they are for or who made them. still mystery to us.

there is 11 countries in southEast asia. what about Thailand, Myanmar, Brunei, Malaysia, Philippines, vietnam etc anyone know more mystery things in southEast Asia, lets share together. thank you 

Edited by Nick1986 - 13-Jun-2012 at 19:58
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 19:19
This link might answer some of your questions about Angkor. I'd like to find out more about the mysterious "plain of jars"
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30918

Edited by Nick1986 - 13-Jun-2012 at 19:19
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 19:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

Nick1986

i don't know why my tittle change to "plain of jars". the reason i start the thread is to get know about some of places/history which is still mystery to human in southEast Asia. 

i want to know about places that are still mystery or complex to human how they build or why they exist in each country in southEast Asia.or any mystery creature or things exist in south East Asia.

there is 11country there. i am looking to get know about each of the country mystery side. my focus is not just "plain of jars" it should be "mystery side of southEast Asia"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 19:57
I think it would be better if you start a new topic for each mystery. You'd attract a lot more attention from the members.

From what i've read, the plain of jars is used as a cemetery for cremations. Before this time it has been suggested the stone jars were used to store food or water to sell to passing caravans
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 20:06
Places which have some mystery that we don't understand till today:
1-Cambodia-Angkor Wat in Cambodia is considered the world's largest religious temple complex ever constructed. and there are so many thing still mystery to us, why it build in certain way.
2-Laos-The Plain of Jars is one of the most mysterious places of earth. They are estimated to be between 1500 and 2000 years old. No-one knows what they are for or who made them. still mystery to us.
3-Indonesia-Borobudur temple in Java, Indonesia.  Mix of Javanese and Indian influences, dates back to when that part of Java was ruled by Buddhist kingdoms. there is so many things still mystery to us, for what purpose it build and extra.

Mythical Creature
Philippines-mythical forest creature "Tikbalang"

i am looking for something mystery to us or mythical things untill now we don't understand about southEast Asia. there is 11country in soutEast Asia. anyone remember anything about vietnam? East Timor? Burnei? myanmar? Each of the country must have something mystery or mythical, so please share what u can remember. thank you.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 21:15
Toltec, do you know anything about the mysterious Plain of Jars? Why did the ancient inhabitants of Laos spend so much time carving boulders rather than simply making pots of fired earth?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 09:20
Toltec has been there, several times, I believe.  From what he posted sometime back, it's a bugger to get to them.  Isolation increases the level of mystery.  From the few photos I've seen, the layout indicates an ancient cemetary of sorts.  I'm sure Toltec has his ideas about them.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 10:57
Was a bugger to get them, 15 years ago, now not so difficult.

They are believed to be funeral urns, would have had lids on made of either wood or cloth that didn't survive. Human ashes have been found in some of them. They also have some ornately carved stone grave markers on the ground and sometimes placed on top of jars by locals who mistook them for lids. Of old there was three sites, now the bombs have been cleared from three more sites, one even larger than the main site. Apparently there's many more.

The date quoted above may be a little old. The is another site Hindaeng even older, its the only menhir site in SE Asia (and was a triple bugger to get too). It's on the Ho Chi Mihn Trail and has a hundred standing stones. There aparently are other standing stone sites nearby. Amongst the stones are similar round grave markers to the plain of jars but uncarved and the site is 500 years older.

The theory is the same people who erected Hindaeng erected the Plain of Jars. Hindaeng was made before the iron age so the stones are uncarved, Plain of Jars after, so they could shape the stone. Both sites are located on the India trade route so may have connections with the India trade. Perhaps funeral earns of travellers who died on route? Though most likely locals.

Edited by Toltec - 19-Jun-2012 at 11:01
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 11:37
The only ref to Hin Daeng I could find was a dive site off the coast, near Malaysia.  Is there another name for it?

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 13:03

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 19:17
Toltec, do you know anything about the civilisation that created these jars?
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 11:50
I don't think anyone does.

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 20:46
Sharwina, this article might help with your research. I literally discovered it the other day when a spambot bumped a thread from 2005
http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=xieng_kouang
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 13:58
Recent satellite surveys have revealed that Ankor Wat was merely the largest temple complex is a city covering an area of around 100 miles on each side, all interlaced and sustained by an elaborately engineered network of canals.  It appears to have been the governmental and religious center of region.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 19:27
You wouldn't happen to have a link to these satellite images, would you Mountainman? Toltec would be very interested to see them
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2013 at 18:56
Sharwina, how's your research going mate?
 Post Reply Post Reply