Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living in an inconstant country!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living in an inconstant country!
    Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 12:33
There is a strange situation in Iran, everything is frequently changing, no one knows what should be done, prices are too high, some people prefer to buy more than their needs because they think it can be worse than it in the future and some people prefer to sell more because they think this situation is temporary and it is a good time to earn more money.

Most of people are just waiting but it is not clear for what, our leader think economic problems in the western countries and their need of Iranian oil will force them to ignore Iran but we know it will never happen and we should wait for worse sanctions or even a war!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 19:13
It sounds like the result of western economic sanctions and the first hints of popular discontent with the regime. If the Americans were smart they'd avoid war with the regime and instead fund opposition groups to overthrow the fundamentalist tyrants
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 19:25
Can a parallel by made,  between the current situation in Iran and the Cold war? I don't know the situation in Iran enough, but from what I hear the economic stagnation in order to pour the country resources in the military sector, the propaganda from the both sides, severe restriction - this is what I remember from the Cold War. People would buy food like crazy when it was available, because it was so insecure what will happen, and if the next day there would be food, I remember when my kid was a baby there was no milk enough, so I'd get in 4AM and go on a long queue to wait so when they opened in 8 maybe there will be milk enough to get to me. My parents talked a lot about war and that US and turkey would attack any moment now. The cultural restriction were very draconian, not on religious, but in political base, which doesn't make much of a difference, the restrictions themselves were the same thing.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 01:33
As I read in a book, Agha Mohammad Khan, founder of Qajar dynasty, advised his successor, Fathali Shah, that if you want to rule in Iran with no problem then you should keep the people in poverty! It seems to be really a fact about the people of Iran, economic problems make them more obedient, so these sanctions won't work, as the western countries expect.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 01:43
That's true, when people are just trying barely to survive, they don't have time to think about freedoms - the same logic was and is well exploited in communist countries. 
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 03:14
It seems there is another cold war, the western countries are in one side and in another side there are Russia and China, but the Middle east is the battlefield of this war, Syria can be a good example of this cold war, if there were no conflict between the powers, the problem of Syria would be solved some months ago, the same thing can be said about Iran, if Iranian leaders knew that the world is united against them then they would ignore their nuclear ambitions.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2012 at 19:20
I discovered about 3-4 years back (shortly after my disappearance from these forums) that I have an Iranian uncle, and have subconsciously found myself more critical of British foreign policy regarding Iran. The thing that strikes me is that people here just don't care about Iran, and are completely apathetic, which isn't necessarily good :/
Arrrgh!!"
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2012 at 23:51
The thing that strikes me is that people here just don't care about Iran, and are completely apathetic, which isn't necessarily good :/  

Come to the US where it's either.....

1. Hate em with out knowing them and yer to gawdamn lazy to learn.....

2. Ignore them cuz ya a sheeple and fine with what ya told by either side...

3. Pander to the nutbag theocrats in charge; while some of the people of this time frame... are yearning for some form of democracy still suffer.

4. Believe there is a nexus of conditions from 75 years ago or much much longer that still has yet to come to fulmination or been identified to all parties satisfaction (while some of the people of this time frame... are yearning for some form of democracy still suffer).

It's enough to make your drink bad whiskey....tho that might not be possible.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 16:36
It's enough to make your drink bad whiskey....tho that might not be possible.

If you drink all the good whiskey first, it becomes more doable.
Arrrgh!!"
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 17:16
Amen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply