Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz X, part 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz X, part 4
    Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 05:16

The lyrics of the anthem was outlawed since it didn't fit the Communist ideals of the DDR, but the tune was still kept and played.

Wasn't it because of "Deutschland, einig Vaterland" and the other references to Deutschland? http://www.ddr-wissen.de/wiki/ddr.pl?Nationalhymne writes the text was banned after a discussion between Willy Brandt (West German chancellor) and Willi Stoph (East German PM), where Stoph had said there are two German states and Brandt replied that even the GDR hymn contained the words Germany, united fatherland.

rtsp://real.dhm.de/lemo/sound/Nachkriegsjahre_audioHymneDDR. rm has the hymn (with text).

I think best question was #14.

Edited by yan.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 05:21
Yes. Maybe I should've rephrased, didn't fit the ideals of the Communist government.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 05:44

Originally posted by Dawn

och I played poorly this game.

Well, look at me, if it can console you

I think it's the first time I ended at bottom list .

Point his it happened I changed my PC these days, so having to reinstall much of my software, reprogram internet connections, etc. I really had no time to research, and just answered the only question I knew out of the top of my head.

Oh well, at least I have a way faster PC now

I agree questions in general were both difficult and interesting. However, since I need to restrict my vote to one . . . I chose two because I am not able to restrict it so much :

• question 14 by Styrbiorn, since I like historical events when battles and war were replaced with some non-lethal alternative competition (a wise thing people should learn to do more often),
  • and question 12 by Mixcoatl . . .  also out of shame for not  having thought about this compatriot of mine
    On this regard, I'd like to add that Italo Balbo, who had been a first hour fascist, eventually opposed Mussolini because he did not agree about entering WW2, being (rightly) afraid that Italy would have ended to be "Germany's boots -polisher".
    For this reason, many doubt that his accidental death by friendly fire was a real accident.

Finally, a remark about my question #8. It's certainly true that many think that Bononia was derived from a previous Gaulish name "Bona", and Styrbiorn certainly did right to accept it. In fact, it's also likely that this Celtic form existed,  since both  major cities called Bononia by Romans, i.e. present day Bologna in Italy we are talking about, and what now is Boulogne-sur-Mer in France, are located in areas previously controlled by Gauls, Cisalpine and Transalpine respectively, later conquered by Romans.

However, whatever was the name real origin, Roman commoners surely related the name Bononia with latin word bonum = well, good etc. hence the meaning of abundance, wealth etc. that was associated to the name "Bononia", whether it was a real or a false etymology, by people who certainly were not all linguists.

It's also interesting to notice that there was an important town called Bona hat became not Bononia but Bonna in Roman times: Bonn in Germany

[edited because my new MS word program did a mess of everything everything when I used it for spell check]

Edited by Serge L
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 13:44

I would say questions were very difficult, thus I'm rather rather suprised all have been answered in firt round  .

Most fun I have looking answer for question no 6 and this got my vote for best question. 

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 15:59
Total Quiz X Part 4 Awards

Moderator awards

A Second Special Gratitude Award to Imperator Invictus and yan for answering the questions noone else could answer, thus making a Second Round unnecessary and enabling me to have a good Valborg, the second-most booze-heavy holiday in Sweden, despite my terrible planning.

Score based awards

Best Question Award
goes to Imperator Invictus's question number 4.

Main Award - Winner of Total Quiz X part 4 for... Komnenos!

Results here

Congratulations to all winners!

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 06:49

Originally posted by Komnenos

Thanks, styrbiorn, for organising the whole quiz and running it so smoothly!
!

I'll second that.

My fave question was the Sparta one...

Don;t you just hate it when German's win anything.... I think we need a new rule -5pts just for being German....

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 08:06
Or lets have new rules: "The total quiz contains 14 questions, has one or two rounds, and at the end a German will win!" (After Gary Linneker!)
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 18:11
A Second Special Gratitude Award to Imperator Invictus and yan for answering the questions noone else could answer, thus making a Second Round unnecessary and enabling me to have a good Valborg, the second-most booze-heavy holiday in Sweden, despite my terrible planning.

Strangely, that question was the only one that I had a good idea without looking on google. The fact that it was written by one named "Komenos" narrowed it down pretty quickly.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12