Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1851 Crystal Palace Exhibition - entertainment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1851 Crystal Palace Exhibition - entertainment
    Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 21:44
I'm seeking information on the existence of peripheral entertainment that might have sprung up to cash in on the Great Exhibition of 1851, in London, UK (sideshows, menageries, puppetshows, jugglers, circuses, dancers, musicians, performing animals etc)

I've read newspaper accounts written by people attending the exhibition, but they focus on the Palace itself, its contents and visitors rather than anything that might have been going on outside.

If anyone could point me towards a book, or diary, or source of pictures, I'd be much appreciated.

My main focus would be on the dancers and musicians, but anything would be of interest.

Edited by Sidney - 13-Feb-2012 at 08:37
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 19:07

The first thing that comes to mind is the dinosaurs in Crystal Palace park
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 19:47
Thanks Nick. The dinosaurs were a great idea at the time, and fun now, but look a bit comical in light of modern research and knowledge. I'm glad they've restored them though.

The original Crystal Palace of 1851 was built in Hyde Park. It was then dismantled after the exhibition, and re-erected in Sydenham Hill, London in 1854. The area subsequently became known as Crystal Palace, named after the landmark, and is still known as such, despite the Palace burning down in 1936.
The dinosaurs were unveiled in 1854, as part of the redesigning and landscaping of the area around the newly erected Crystal Palace; - Crystal Palace Park.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 19:17
These famous beasts have the distinction of being the first life-sized models of dinosaurs.  While the iguanadon and megalosaurus are completely wrong, others, like the icthyosaur and crocodiles, are more accurate
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply