Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nations, languages and cultures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nations, languages and cultures
    Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 00:50
I have recently become very interested in learning the creation/beginnings of the different nations and cultures of the world. For instance, it is obvious that the colder northern nations are caucasian and the warmer nations being negroid and asian. Then there are those nations and cultures that seem to have the influences of each? What about the influences of wars such as the Crusades and how did they affect or influence nations, races, and ethnicitities? And for instance what root clan, tribe, group, etc. do the French, Italians, Germans, and Spainiards have in common if any?

I would appreciate any help and direction that anyone could provide! I have always been interested in gaining a greater understanding of this subject. If I had been able to attend college I certainly would have tried to study this as I have always had a keen interest in history and anthropology. I look forward to everyones input! Thanks! Patrick
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 02:32
You know, many Asian nations are pretty cold too.
Arrrgh!!"
King Chulalongkorn View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote King Chulalongkorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 11:47

Originally posted by pdc5210

I have recently become very interested in learning the creation/beginnings of the different nations and cultures of the world. For instance, it is obvious that the colder northern nations are caucasian and the warmer nations being negroid and asian. Then there are those nations and cultures that seem to have the influences of each? What about the influences of wars such as the Crusades and how did they affect or influence nations, races, and ethnicitities? And for instance what root clan, tribe, group, etc. do the French, Italians, Germans, and Spainiards have in common if any?

I would appreciate any help and direction that anyone could provide! I have always been interested in gaining a greater understanding of this subject. If I had been able to attend college I certainly would have tried to study this as I have always had a keen interest in history and anthropology. I look forward to everyones input! Thanks! Patrick

Please read more history and cultural books because your lack of knowledge of ethnic groups and their geographic situations is embarassing!

Kha Wora Phutthachao Nop Phra Phumiban Bunya Direk
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 19:30

Well, Patrik, you could start with this:

L.L. Cavalli-Sforza's Genes, peoples, and languages

It's a bit dated, but I think you will like it, since it's not a too difficultreading, and it's just about the subjects you stated you are interested in - an attempt to reconstruct human pre-history and ancient history via a compared study of genetics, linguistics, archeology and other sources.

Here following some online sellers:

Amazon
University of California Press
Science Daily

and finally a summary (not as readable as the book, but it's the best I found online)

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/15/7719

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 23:03
I hardly know where to begin; this calls for a whole course in sociology or anthropology.  If I'm going to answer your questions, first I need to ask:  where do you believe we came from originally?  I'm a creationist myself; I believe all of humanity is currently descended from one family that lived 5,000 or 6,000 years ago.  If you believe the same, I'll be happy to show you the webpage I wrote where I try to explain how the children and grandchildren of Noah gave rise to the ethnic groups of today.

If, on the other hand, you subscribe to another theory of human origins, I'll have to let someone else continue from here.  No doubt there are evolutionists in this forum, and those who subscribe to the theories about ancient astronauts; we may even have some catastrophists among us.  Good luck!
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 04:12
well for starters all western alphabetic script derrives from the Phonecian alphabet.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 04:28
All, or just the modern ones?
Arrrgh!!"
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 05:21
I don't think the runes do.
Vae victis!
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 05:43
I thought we were talking about the origins of the various races/ethnic groups of humanity.  The history of writing is a great subject by itself, but how does it fit into this?
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 05:45
Originally posted by Berosus

I thought we were talking about the origins of the various races/ethnic groups of humanity.  The history of writing is a great subject by itself, but how does it fit into this?

Originally posted by Topic title

Nations, languages and cultures
Arrrgh!!"
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 11:19
if it we were created by a god, we'd be so in-bred it's a wonder we're not all dead from some recessive disease.

Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 19:20

I don't think the runes do.

Actually they are descended from Etruscan, which is descended from Phoenician, supposedly. However I believe Ogham script is purely devoid of phoenician interference. God I'd hate to be dysleksic and write in that.

if it we were created by a god, we'd be so in-bred it's a wonder we're not all dead from some recessive disease.

Actually if you go with evolution, every human being is descended from one ancestor female. I believe the jury's out on how many male ancestors, most likely several, we are one of the most promiscuous primates.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 19:48

Root tribe, there is no such thing, for instance France is very diverse racially.

Post Reply Post Reply