Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iroquois Great Law of Peace...USA Copied?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iroquois Great Law of Peace...USA Copied?
    Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 15:08
the Great Law of Peace of the Iroquois (or Haudenosaunee) Six Nations (Oneida, Mohawk, Cayuga, Onondaga, the Seneca and Tuscarora) is the oral constitution whereby the Iroquois Confederacy was bound together. The law was written on wampum belts, conceived by Deganwidah, known as The Great Peacemaker, and his spokesman Hiawatha. The original five member nations ratified this constitution near present-day Victor, New York, with the sixth nation (the Tuscarora) being added in ca. 1720.

Historians once thought the Iroquois Confederacy started in the 16th century, but a more recent estimate dates the confederacy and its constitution to between 1090 and 1150 CE. These estimates were based on the records of the confederacy leadership and astronomical dating related to a total solar eclipse that coincided with the founding of the Confederacy.

Historians, including Donald Grinde of the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, have claimed that the democratic ideals of the Gayanashagowa (Great Law of Peace) provided a significant inspiration to Benjamin Franklin, James Madison and other framers of the United States Constitution. Franklin circulated copies of the proceedings of the 1744 Treaty of Lancaster among his fellow colonists; at the close of this document, the Iroquois leaders offer to impart instruction in their democratic methods of government to the English. John Rutledge of South Carolina, delegate to the Constitutional Convention, is said to have read lengthy tracts of Iroquoian law to the other framers, beginning with the words "We, the people, to form a union, to establish peace, equity, and order..." In October 1988, the US Congress passed Concurrent Resolution 331 to recognize the influence of the Iroquois Constitution upon the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Has anybody Heard This?????Shocked
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 19:02
1090 AD? That really is ancient, predating the Enlightenment, 1640s republicanism, and even the Magna Carta
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 21:42
Its crazy because I looked up the Concurrent Resolution 331 and it does address the fact that the US Constitution was influenced by the Iroquois Great Law of Peace. No credit is really given to the Irouois in popular culture Cry

Edited by Fula - 19-Dec-2011 at 21:43
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 21:57
In re:  " Historians once thought the Iroquois Confederacy started in the 16th century, but a more recent estimate dates the confederacy and its constitution to between 1090 and 1150 CE. These estimates were based on the records of the confederacy leadership and astronomical dating related to a total solar eclipse that coincided with the founding of the Confederacy."

And how are these 'records' dated and 'read'?  So, there is a collection of wampum belts dating back to 1009 CE?  I'd have to have much more information on that in order to accept that as 'fact'. As to 1090CE, the Islandic Althing was established about a  hundred years earlier.  

As for concurrent resolutions of congress, such would hardly be accepted as evidence of fact. They merely express opinions and can be passed for such mundane reasons as congratulating a favorite sports team, or lauding an otherwise obscure public figure, such as Army Lieutenant Colonel Sava Steppanovitch upon his retirement.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 07:10
Originally posted by lirelou

In re:  " Historians once thought the Iroquois Confederacy started in the 16th century, but a more recent estimate dates the confederacy and its constitution to between 1090 and 1150 CE. These estimates were based on the records of the confederacy leadership and astronomical dating related to a total solar eclipse that coincided with the founding of the Confederacy."

And how are these 'records' dated and 'read'?  So, there is a collection of wampum belts dating back to 1009 CE?  I'd have to have much more information on that in order to accept that as 'fact'. As to 1090CE, the Islandic Althing was established about a  hundred years earlier.  

As for concurrent resolutions of congress, such would hardly be accepted as evidence of fact. They merely express opinions and can be passed for such mundane reasons as congratulating a favorite sports team, or lauding an otherwise obscure public figure, such as Army Lieutenant Colonel Sava Steppanovitch upon his retirement.

I hear ya lirelou but the mere fact that they recognized the influence of it is enough for me. The founding Fathers are highly immortalized I dont think they would do or admit anything that wasnt true. The details can indeed be "iffy" but the implications provide for much more
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 17:25
In re:  " The founding Fathers are highly immortalized I dont think they would do or admit anything that wasnt true. "

Puleeze, the founding fathers also recognized the legitimacy of Slavery as an institution, though they were split into opposing sides on that question. My point is: accomodations were made.  You are reading 21st Century "implications" into a 18th Century "obiter dicta" remarks in writings meant to gain support for the Constitution as a uniquely "American" document among the representatives who would vote on it.  You also state that "Historians accept" without pointing out that there is also no small number of historians who do not accept your view. And indeed,if Wiki is your only source, the most prominent Historian they can cite teaches at the University of Buffalo within the N.Y. State University system. While he may indeed be a good historian, that is weak peg to base your reasoning on.

So in re:  "they recognized the influence of it is enough for me" should more properly read: "The fact that some recognized... it is enough for me".
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 00:06
I applaud you for taking it that deep but Im sorry its not that deep...I was only sharing some info. If you noticed the heading there is a question mark. I respect your opinion but I think your missing the point. The point is that "savages" had there own form of Democracy and Order Which could have possibly influenced the constitution. Our Government clearly recognizes it, hopefully you will appreciate the possibility as well. Every Historian on the Planet agrees and Disagrees on many topics... this doesnt completely destroy the validity of the claim...When Did I say "Historians Accept"?When I say "they" Im referring to our current government. Your acting as tho Im making some Dogmatic unchallengeable claim. Simply putting it out there...Notice the Question marks notice the title etc.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 11:15
Fula, yes, a very pointed post, and your points are well taken. As for the Savages, a word that properly describes the Iroquois of that time, as it would the Icelanders of 937 CE, assuming that they still had a foot in the Viking age, and perhaps the English of the Elizabethan age, as it would have the Canadian coureurs des bois and American frontiersmen who lived among the tribes. The point being that various human groups can and do develop their own forms of group decision making (democracy?) and order. 

But to state that the "government" recognizes  that the Iroquois Great Law of Peace 'possibly' influenced our own Constitution is the same as saying that the "government" recognizes that 'possibly' it did not.  My real point is that 'the government' did no such thing. A single branch of our government, i.e. the Legislature, passed a non-binding resolution, which was not signed off on by the President, and thus did not become law subject to a challenge by the Supreme Court.  

Ergo: Our "Government", the government, as opposed to a few Congresspersons and a single Senator (Ben Nighthorse Campbell), recognizes no such 'possibility'. 

Common sense says: Of course it's possible. But is also asks the question: What is the probability? As for that, you might be interested in the link below:

Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 12:40
Originally posted by lirelou

Fula, yes, a very pointed post, and your points are well taken. As for the Savages, a word that properly describes the Iroquois of that time, as it would the Icelanders of 937 CE, assuming that they still had a foot in the Viking age, and perhaps the English of the Elizabethan age, as it would have the Canadian coureurs des bois and American frontiersmen who lived among the tribes. The point being that various human groups can and do develop their own forms of group decision making (democracy?) and order. 

But to state that the "government" recognizes  that the Iroquois Great Law of Peace 'possibly' influenced our own Constitution is the same as saying that the "government" recognizes that 'possibly' it did not.  My real point is that 'the government' did no such thing. A single branch of our government, i.e. the Legislature, passed a non-binding resolution, which was not signed off on by the President, and thus did not become law subject to a challenge by the Supreme Court.  

Ergo: Our "Government", the government, as opposed to a few Congresspersons and a single Senator (Ben Nighthorse Campbell), recognizes no such 'possibility'. 

Common sense says: Of course it's possible. But is also asks the question: What is the probability? As for that, you might be interested in the link below:

Thanks for the link...its very informative. The Government is really just a title which im sure your well aware. It ofcourse has many parts. Even if a part of the whole makes a statement or in this case a resolution it represents the whole, it has to be approved by the whole, and it has to be accepted by the whole or it wouldnt be there. Thats just how I look at it. And Im sorry I made a mistake the Government does not 'possibly' recognize the influence it confirms it...

If you cant open here is the opening statement:

CONCURRENT RESOLUTION

"To Acknowledge the contribution of the  Iroquois Confederacy of Nations to the development of the United States Constitution"....

If you feel this does not represent Our Government as a whole I respectfully disagree

Edited by Fula - 21-Dec-2011 at 12:41
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 12:50
As far as the whole, President not signing it into law, you know thats just a bunch of technicalities and does not represent reality.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 18:26
"Concurrent resolutions address matters affecting the operations of both the House of Representatives and Senate. In modern practice, concurrent and simple resolutions normally are not legislative in character since they are not "presented" to the president for approval, but are used merely for expressing facts, principles, opinions, and purposes of the two chambers of Congress. Concurrent resolutions expressing the opinion of both chambers of Congress are typically called "Sense of the Congress" resolutions."

A concurrent resolution is not equivalent to a bill and its use is narrowly limited within these bounds. "
Fula, well yes, we will cordially agree to disagree. But as the link in my previous message shows, there is no body of evidence that establishes that the U.S. Constitution was modeled on the Iroquois Great Law of Peace. And indeed, there is a good body of scholarship citing evidence to the contrary.
Anyway, I've enjoyed the dialogue. We'll leave it to the rest of the Forum to make up their own minds.

Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 20:36
Since its not called "Sense of the Congress" resolution im guessing one can assume its not an opinion but can be considered fact or principle. This was a good find but it only strengthens the validity of the claim. And yes there is a good body of scholarship that supports this claim as well. The two chambers of Congress are one the most important parts of our government. Although I truly dont understand I did learn and I enjoyed  this dialogue as well...thats what really matters. good stuff

Edited by Fula - 21-Dec-2011 at 20:52
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 14:41
Fula, in re:  " Since its not called "Sense of the Congress" resolution im guessing one can assume its not an opinion but can be considered fact or principle."

You missed it. A "Sense of the Congress" is a step higher than a simple "H. Con." or "S. Con." because both Houses approved it. Your cited "H. Con" to support your position is therefore a step lower than a "Sense of the Congress". Meaning that the Senate per se did not approve it, though at least Senator Nighthorse Campbell did approve. Read carefully what a "Sense" is compared to H.Con.s and S. Con.s.

Your H. Con is the opinion of a few Congresspersons and one Senator. Ergo, it is hardly established "fact".
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 15:04
lol regardless this technicality does not completely destroy the validity of the claim...which is not mine by the way. Im simply the messenger. I have no idea how much or how little it influenced the Constitution. The foundation of the the claim is valid. A few fat heads that dont sign or acknowledge this means little to nothing

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 19:54
You are correct in that the Concurrent Resolution does not destroy (or validate) the claim. That was shredded to bits in the link I provided. To wit:

[QUOTE]"But the ascendance of the Iroquois influence thesis may be short-lived. In the July 1996 issue of the William and Mary Quarterly, the journal of record for students of eighteenth-century America, two colonialist scholars tried to definitively discredit the theory, which, according to one of them, depends on words "misquoted, misattributed, decontextualized, inaccurately paraphrased, liberally edited, and misinterpreted." Among the statements that Philip Levy, a doctoral candidate at William and Mary, and Samuel Payne Jr., a professor of political science at Ferrum College, object to are the following: Thomas Jefferson had deep respect for the Iroquois, and even promoted intermarriage with them; James Madison was inspired by the Iroquois's notion of freedom; John Adams conducted an interview in Boston with Joseph Brant, a Mohawk chief, about the details of the Iroquois compact; and Benjamin Franklin, in the course of his Indian diplomacy, looked to the Iroquois Confederacy as a model for the impending confederation.

In fact, Levy counters, Jefferson predicted, but did not promote, intermarriage - and it was because the Indians had inferior laws, not better ones, that Jefferson foresaw such unions as inevitable. As for Madison, writes Payne, he was exposed to the Iroquois but never spoke of any influence; the mistake originates in a 1948 biography of Madison. Payne points out that Madison cites numerous influences for the Constitution in The Federalist Papers, including the Amphictyonic council, the Achaean league, and the Swiss Confederacy - but never mentions the Iroquois Confederacy. And while Franklin certainly had respect for the Iroquois, says Payne, he never connected them directly with the 1754 Albany Plan of Union (the colonies' early confederation plan), as Grinde and Johansen aver. What Franklin actually wrote was: "It would be a strange Thing, if Six Nations of ignorant Savages should be capable of forming a Scheme for such an Union, and be able to execute it in such a Manner, as that it has subsisted Ages, and appears indissoluble; and yet that a like Union should be impracticable for ten or a Dozen English Colonies" - in context, hardly a ringing endorsement.

In a fifteen-page reply, Grinde and Johansen do not challenge Levy's assertion about Jefferson, or Payne's about Madison. They concede another of Levy's points - that John Adams could not have met with Joseph Brant in Boston because Adams was in London at the time - and promise that "the error will be remedied" in future editions of their book. But they continue to maintain that Franklin encouraged the colonists to emulate the Iroquois model. Their strongest remonstration: that Levy and Payne "suffer from imprecision in the delineation of our case"; and that, "having demanded proof," Levy "fails to define his term."

Be that as it may, the scholarly community is unswayed by the reply. Wilcomb Washburn, former director of American studies at the Smithsonian Institution, emphasizes that Indian influence, while real, was limited. "Grinde and Johansen built this incredible superstructure on inferences, suggestions, and leaping to conclusions. I'm more sympathetic to Indian influence than a lot of scholars, but I simply can't go along with it./[QUOTE]

The "it" referred to is the idea that the Great Iroquois Law of Peace influenced the U.S. Constitution.

Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2011 at 01:02
Every civilization is influenced by another...we are all connected

Post Reply Post Reply