Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of oil
    Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 18:46
At my age I don't particularly concern myself with this issue....as I still own a mule.
And considering that I'm in no particular hurry to get anywhere......he will do the job if oil run slims.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 21:49

Kurzweil has predicted that because of the law of 'accelerating returns' that within twenty years solar technology will be efficient and cheap enough to start replacing oil. His predictions have had a good record the past twenty years.

"There is 10,000 times more sunlight than we need to meet 100 percent of our energy needs, he says, and the technology needed for collecting and storing it is about to emerge as the field of solar energy is going to advance exponentially in accordance with Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns. That law yields a doubling of price performance in information technologies every year."

http://www.livescience.com/4824-solar-power-rule-20-years-futurists.html

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 00:39
This film gives some excellent statistics not only on oil, but on all the alternatives forms of energy such as solar, nuclear and so on, and show them even less viable than oil.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 13:33
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

At my age I don't particularly concern myself with this issue....as I still own a mule.
And considering that I'm in no particular hurry to get anywhere......he will do the job if oil run slims.

Your mule can generate electricty?  Wink
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 16:06
It will be the rapidly expanding technology that comes to our rescue imo. Not only solar, but in food production. Technology has only relatively recently been applied to food production and the law of accelerated returns applies. Technologies such as in vitro meat and genetically designed foods will quickly become viable.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 17:16
Originally posted by unclefred

It will be the rapidly expanding technology that comes to our rescue imo. Not only solar, but in food production. Technology has only relatively recently been applied to food production and the law of accelerated returns applies. Technologies such as in vitro meat and genetically designed foods will quickly become viable.

I'm afraid I have to disagree on one important aspect - the techno-driven increases in food production by the industrialized nations are way more than offset by the rising tide of starvation throughout the Third World.

From a practical standpoint, nations like America cannot keep on feeding the rest of the world at the expense of it's own population, and from a farming viewpoint, every year we lose an enormous amount of topsoil due to our mechanized farming methods, and every year we need more and more fertilizers to keep our agricultural lands producing.  Since the bulk of that fertilizer is petroleum based, as are the insecticides also required, and since corporate agro-industry itself requires ever-increasing supplies of petroleum,we're on a dead-end road in a Ferrari, going faster and faster without brakes towards the cliff looming ahead of us.

Technology has ignored and completely bypassed the natural limitations on populations in areas unable to support the inhabitants.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2014 at 00:12
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Originally posted by ralfy

Unfortunately, we need oil even for renewable energy, petrochemicals for the manufacturing process, and other resources (such as water and various minerals).
In order to maintain industrialization and continuous economic growth, we will need the equivalent of one Saudi Arabia every seven years, which can't happen because oil discoveries peaked in 1964. Fatih Birol states that governments should have prepared for this problem at least a decade ago.
Thus, if we have to use whatever oil is available and other sources of energy, we will have to use them to meet basic needs. Meanwhile, combinations of currency, trade, and resource wars are inevitable. It gets worse when these problems are coupled with the long-term effects of climate change, increasing human population, and increasing resource demand per capita.

Why do we need oil for renewable energy? You mean to supply the initial electricity that would keep it running? Obviously, if we invest heavily on it we can use the electricity generated from windmills, hydro-electric dams, solar panels...etc to power themselves.  As for petrochemical products, we may have to find alternatives in the future, already we have managed to replace some plastic films with ones based on cellulose and motor oil with biodiesel.The major problem I think is that suffiecient research and development is not being funded and investment in alternative energy is very minimal, nowhere near the level needed to sustain us in the near future.@ArabI think the issue is mainly political because considering the way things are going, it may well soon become feasible to extract oil from such a remote area. In what way would the extraction rights be given to any country and who gets what?

And indeed Baal Melqart, just what do we do? Well this was an old site and according to what I know now, is an antique post. The USA has the largest deposits of most all energy deposits on the face of the Earth! But, we have an administration that tries its best to stop the extraction of them! Idiots rule America today! May they disappear in the next election! Please pray for this?

ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2014 at 21:29
And just how has this "Solar Energy" program worked out for the last 20 years?

Ron
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 14:27
with all respect Ron i think "you only can see as far as your nose" ( persian Proverb and it's means you are not Far-sighted person) we need oil not just for energy and fuel we need it for all thing we got from it including our road and cable all things made of plastic and ..... if they are saving america's oil than they have reason we must find replacement for oil not only on energy case but in other all sectors
yomud are free people
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 19:15
But yomud! With the fracking process and oil sands, it seem the N. American potential is greater than that of the rest of the world!

The number of barrels to be potentially extracted is huge!

Things are actually looking up and billions of dollars being made!
And new natural gas supplies also look great!

Energy wise, the USA seems to be in great shape, as long as Obama and his kind, who seem to want to bankrupt the USA, are kept in check!

God! I just love "global warming!", oh! I'm sorry, "Climate Change!"

Wups! I just remembered, these climate nuts are again predicting a new "ice age!" LMAO!

Regards, Ron

Edited by opuslola - 28-Jan-2014 at 19:31
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2014 at 04:13
well ron we must stop using oil for energy decrees the tracks and car  and incress railway and metro we in fact we must decrees global population ! this is best way we can have better life and more oil (time) to find replacement if you open your oil and export it to your allys in europ and australlia japon south korea yes you will have more money ad oil price will go down but remember this means you we have little time to find replacement and it will increes global population thats means after 20 year you open your oil market earth will have great population that can not supports we wont able to feed our people global warming will get its worst stage there will be so many demands much more than today and when governments cant answer their demands there will be insuractions the glonal insuractions

some thing far worst than so called arabian spring than cia should worry about nuks and wmds which may get lost in these insuractions

believe me ron they are doing good job in white house
yomud are free people
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2014 at 17:05
Yomud, do know that these weather prediction groups, that have been shouting "Global Warming" for the last 20 or so years, were shouting "New Ice Age! by 2014!!", back in the 1970's! And, guess what, they are now shouting it again!

Here is a report on the OIL SHALE/SAND discoveries in Canada.

http://peakoil.com/forums/today-s-giant-new-oil-discoveries-largest-in-150-years-t68166.html

Ron
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2015 at 16:36
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Your mule can generate electricty?  Wink

This really isn't fair cuz MM is not active right now...but....

Two points.

1. Tho I'm in Colorado for the winter; planning an assault on the east slope of Archuleta...that may or may not go..health dependent. I'm not far from the Llano and I still own the mule...

2. So yes in the long run... if he craps enuff and somebody wants to come collect it... he can generate methane.... which in turn can fuel electricity.

Amen

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 17-Oct-2015 at 16:37
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12