Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The original Gun that won the West

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The original Gun that won the West
    Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 19:41

The Hall Rifle was basically a muzzle-loading pocket pistol attached to a rifle barrel. Originally a flintlock, by the time of the Mexican War a percussion version was in widespread use. It is notable for being the first gun with interchangeable parts.
The Hall rifle had a long production run, from 1811 until the 1850s and was adopted by the US army in 1819. It gave the cavalry an overwhelming advantage during the Mexican War and was still being issued to the green-jacketed US sharpshooters in the Civil War. By this time, however, many of these guns were worn out. When the quartermaster attempted to replace them with the notoriously-unreliable Colt Revolving Rifles rather than the promised Sharps, the men almost mutinied
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 19:41

The detached breech of the Hall carbine could be used as a pocket pistol. There was an incident during the Mexican War when one US dragoon held off 30 bandits
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2011 at 19:14

Hall's breechloader probably influenced the design of better-known rifles like the Sharps, Remington and (especially) the Trapdoor Springfield which used the newer brass cartridges

Edited by Nick1986 - 13-Dec-2011 at 19:15
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2012 at 19:00
The Hall rifle was not without its defects and was initially unpopular among troops familiar with the muzzle-loading musket:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=baZLAAAAYAAJ&dq=hall%20rifle&pg=PA202#v=onepage&q&f=false
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 10:23
It an excellent piece for it's era but that's not really what won the west. Scouts, Mountain Men, trappers and earlier Military explorations did. Carrying all sorts of goodies. Without their presence and reconn and commercial activities....any later force carrying anything.... would have been hard pressed to follow behind them and follow up their initial foray's. Which is what occurred anyway. That they did it is as much a matter of superior tech advantage to include development and use of natural resources ... production capabilities...numbers...and a desire for expansionism in the development of the national identity. And social desires of an expanding population.

Because whether ya call it manifest destiny...expansion of markets viz capitalism...greed.. a version of colonialist expansionism or just a desire to see the high and lonesome lonely....it's a done goddamn deal now. Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 16-Jul-2012 at 11:36
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 19:15
In the hands of US cavalrymen the Hall rifle definitely helped win the Western states of California and Texas from the Mexicans. The successful use of a breechloader paved the way for later innovations like the Sharps and Burnside carbines that gave the Yankees an edge in the Civil War and Indian Wars
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 00:50
I thought the the illegal invasion of foreign soil, genocide, ethnic cleansing, manufactured famines and then extermination of women and children was what won the west.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 12:34
Originally posted by Toltec

I thought the the illegal invasion of foreign soil, genocide, ethnic cleansing, manufactured famines and then extermination of women and children was what won the west.

''.....it's a done goddamn deal now.'' Wink

But I concur... Japanese behavior in WW2 was atrocious,

S. T. Friedman

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 13:02
And the winners write the history books, or should I say movie scripts

Indians were peace loving, wise and philosophical noble savages living in harmony with nature and cowboys brave, moral and chivalrous classical hero always standing up for the underdog.

Edited by Toltec - 17-Jul-2012 at 13:09
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 15:19

And the winners write the history books, or should I say movie scripts

Indians were peace loving, wise and philosophical noble savages living in harmony with nature and cowboys brave, moral and chivalrous classical hero always standing up for the underdog.

Noope. Indians were just as good or bad as they wanted to be....but ya almost got that last part correct. Cept it were not Cowboys....twas Texas Rangers.

No thanks necessary.....I live to serve the AE community.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 19:42

Which wouldn't have been possible if the Yankees didn't have a well trained army with advanced weapons
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 20:02
Originally posted by Nick1986

Which wouldn't have been possible if the Yankees didn't have a well trained army with advanced weapons

tsk tsk...Nick...Nick.Cry The army you refer to was not the Yankee Army; twas the US Army......lets render respect as appropriate. Especially to the members of the aforementioned who were from the entire exsisting United States..north, south and west.Wink Before the CW and after.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 19:25
It was the blue-coated US army that won the Civil War (again with superior weapons and resources), although both Northern and Southern ex-soldiers could be found heading west to start a new life
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 21:31
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 04:43
By Wild Bill's time, some were still favored from outstanding companies found on the continent. Such a one was WW Greener.

S. T. Friedman

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 11:50
I was going to post an image of the Colt Peacemaker, but apparently Photobucket is down for the count.  They're having problems trying to switch to a "new format" in thace of a mounting number of members who prefer the "old format".

Ahhh...progress.  Cool  OK...back in business

My foster grandfather had one of these - with the older octagonal barrel.
.45-.70 Express

Edited by Mountain Man - 05-Sep-2012 at 12:28
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 21:48
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

By Wild Bill's time, some were still favored from outstanding companies found on the continent. Such a one was WW Greener.

Greener converted a lot of old Martini-Henry rifles to fire 12 gauge shotgun shells. You can still get these reasonably cheaply from certain gun dealers
 Post Reply Post Reply