Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shugden worship in Tibetan Buddhism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shugden worship in Tibetan Buddhism
    Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 18:02

I was just looking around in youtube when I came across this video showing discrimination against Tibetan buddhist who apparently worship an idol called 'Shugden'. I would have never imagined that any sect of buddhism worshipped a god of any sort because that goes against the essence of buddhism, a religion that does not claim belief in deities. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyNQD6zGOMw&feature=related

Apparently the belief in this god started about 400 years ago but does anyone know more about this somewhat peculiar sect within buddhism?
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 20:36
Buddhism doesn't deny the existence of deities, they just choose not to worship them. Some people, like Jesus, worship the Christian God in addition to holding Buddhist beliefs
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 20:58
I'm sorry but we already discussed that in another topic and I don't think you can assert it as a true statement. Similar philosophy, yes, buddhist tenets, questionable. You say that buddhists just choose not to worship them but here we have an example of a fervent reaction against belief in Shugden which seems to me as if it is quite against the ethos of buddhism.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 19:52
Buddhism seems to have many distinct schools of thought. Therevada monks are very strict and conservative, while those who follow Mahayana are more open-minded. Pure Land Buddhism, which traces its origins to the same part of Kashmir Jesus is believed to have visited, believes Amitabha Buddha became a god and created his own paradise where enlightenment can be attained
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 12:16
So you think there might be a connection between Jesus and Amitabha, or at least people believe so?
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 19:39
Absolutely. Perhaps Jesus and Amitabha both learned from an earlier master based in India
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2011 at 19:14
But that's the problem really, how could Jesus have travelled to India and such a journey not even being mentioned anywhere in the bible...
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 19:49
A lot of things aren't mentioned in the bible, or were omitted by later editors. The apocryphal gospels make wild claims: Moses supposedly had growths on his head resembling horns, Judas betrayed Jesus on his instruction, and Mary Magdalene was the 13th Apostle
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 15:37
But isn't that why they are called apocrypha and are not part of the christian cannon?
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply