Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The famous case of the Tsavo lions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The famous case of the Tsavo lions
    Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 07:14
Still a great adventure story of history.

Field Museum uncovers evidence behind man-eating; revises legend of its infamous man-eating lions

Journal article examines hundreds of years of man-eating

Tsavo male lion of a similar size, age and dental condition as the infamous Tsavo man-eaters eating the trunk of a sub-adult elephant he helped to kill. Such lions are capable of capturing and killing "normal" prey despite their damaged teeth.
Photo by H. Schuetz, Courtesy of The Field Museum

Full size image available through contact

CHICAGO--Trying to separate science from mythology, two Field Museum researchers have put to rest several longstanding myths concerning the museum's infamous Tsavo lions. They propose alternative scenarios based on comprehensive reviews of historical literature, game department records, unpublished journals, and museum specimens.

First, the Tsavo lions were not 'aberrant'. Lions and other big cats have repeatedly turned to man-eating in the face of certain conditions, many of which are manmade. Furthermore, man-eating by lions continues today.

"For most of their history, extinct and living humans, have represented little more than a vulnerable, slow moving, bipedal source of protein for big cats," says Julian Kerbis Peterhans, associate professor of Natural Science at Roosevelt University, Field Museum adjunct curator and co-author of a study on man-eating by lions recently published in the Journal of East African Natural History (http://www.naturekenya.org/JournalEANH.htm).

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 11:34
I know that the theory has always been one of damaged teeth/ dental problems, that caused them to hunt humans. In truth, such an abundant...and slow, food source just makes so much more sense.

It reminds me of a Far Side cartoon with two crocodiles sunning themselves on the beach. One of them says, "No antlers, no hooves, no fur...just soft and pink."  Wink
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 12:41
The stories of the man-eaters and the big game hunters like Corbett or Patterson fascinated me as a child. An animal that preys on humans would be the ultimate challenge due to its cunning and lack of fear. I've promised myself several times to learn to shoot after i retire and bag at least one of the Big Five, or perhaps a Kodiak or Grizzly
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 13:12
Originally posted by Nick1986

or perhaps a Kodiak or Grizzly
Just remember...if it climbs up the tree and eats you, it is a black bear. If it pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a a brown bear. Wink
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 21:00
LOL
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 21:53
Bears generally.... are not.... contrary to popular opinion.... unless female and near their cubs... the problem. Even then there is a way out.

Nor for that matter are Cougars.

The real problem...when ya out on the high and lonely lonesome.... is at either daybreak or sunset. When ya climb into the rocks...lower yer drawers and attempt to unload some fertilizer. You of course believe yer doing the best ya can fer nature and even believe ya shold get a Sierra Club Award for your efforts. Well hold that delightful fantasy dear.

Because.... sitting there unnoticed by yourself... is Jake with the rattles.... who naturally will take offense at your untimely interruption of his rest.

Now just picture that.

You squatting about two feet away... with your jingle and jangles swinging in the breeze and your pants around yer feet.

You Ever tried to jump away from something with yer pants down constraining that natural athleticism ya still so highly prize and feel confident in?

Thought not.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 19:12

The two lions shot by Patterson
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 19:40
 Post Reply Post Reply