Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romans vs Spartans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romans vs Spartans
    Posted: 10-Jul-2011 at 21:18
In this alternative history the Roman Empire and a Spartan-led Greece coexist. Seeking to conquer Greece a Roman legion finds itself confronted by a Spartan phalanx.

Who wins?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2011 at 22:05
Spartans, unless they are considerably out numbered.  

Though the Romans probably had more sophisticated manuver tactics, they would still need to fight and defeat the Spartans in close formation combat, infantry verse infantry.   I do not think anybody could defeat the Spartans in a rigid formation, heavy infantry verse heavy infantry battle. 

Edited by Cryptic - 10-Jul-2011 at 22:13
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2011 at 20:10
In my view it would be a Roman victory. A volley of javelins would thin out the ranks of the phalanx, enabling legionaries to rush into the gaps and get to work with their gladiuses. The Greeks' cumbersome spears would be useless and their slashing swords ineffective as there would be little room to swing them
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2011 at 20:41
Man tough and good one.Thumbs Up

My heart is with Cryptic (as I love the Spartan infantry.... dizzy bastards knew no fear....lol) but..... my brain says depends on the tac situation.

In general on even ground and even weather.....Javelins and auxiliaries, especially Roman cavalry,  even an attached small force...attacking on a flank... wins the day.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 03:51
Are we talking just shields and swords, or are they packing other weapons?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 19:06
Roman cavalry would definitely tip the balance but i'm just talking swords and shields. Both these weapons gave the advantage to the Romans: the gladius was made from high-quality steel and the shield was strong yet lightweight, protecting the soldier from neck to knee and providing him with a vicious weapon in the form of the shield boss which could be thrust into an enemy's face to temporarily stun him while the legionary is busy killing his mate
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 19:30
Even fight... swords and shield? What time frame? The tech edge remains with Romans true....it then boils down to fighting spirit and ethos and morale (and the Spartans had this long before Rome) and leadership.

Depending on this hypo situation a Marius (given his genius for training.. discipline and organization and love by his legionnaires) leading.. wins. A Leonidas...the Spartans. If on the other hand it is a Joe shit the Ragman type leading.. which I can not fathom for the Spartans as much the Romans...

Iow. it damn near becomes a draw....in the sense  that even alternative history had show the Spartans won't flee.. will the Romans?

Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 12-Jul-2011 at 19:32

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 19:40
Even Leonidas would be no match for a general like Caesar, Vespasian or Hadrian. The Romans' fighting spirit, training and morale were equal to that of the Spartans: soldiers served for 25 years and were eager for land and wealth. Veteran legions were accustomed to fighting fierce warriors like the Gauls, Dacians and Carthaginians and capable of adapting their tactics and equipment to counter anything the enemy threw at them (for example, calling on the experienced spear-armed triarii or using archers and slingers to pick off enemy commanders)
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 20:54
The three ya name Nick and add perhaps four more and ya just made my point. The ethos of the Spartans and their historic excellent leadership given the aforementioned caveats... either prevail or die on the ground. The probability that the Romans run is greater. As this generic situation is then entirely dependent on leaderhsip.

And while your examples of Roman greatness are apt.. they remain inconsequential in this case; because the leadership, the organization and the tactics and equipment, of the barbarians placed them at an extreme disadvantage in 95% of the cases. Their ferocity is without question.. their morale good but not great...especially when routed and without a dozen or more Vercingetorix types and (even he failed) is moot.

The Spartans on the other were heavily involved in fighting in the Peleponnesian wars and the wars vice Persia where equipment was similar in certain cases as was tactics and leadership.  Like the early Romans they were often heavily outnumbered and yet prevailed because of their legendary ethos and traditions.

Their (Rome's) greatest opponents were the Carthaginians initially, and the Parthians later and only until late in their exsistence.....imo. the Barbarians. There were of course exceptions.

Hence I stand where I stand.Wink

But ya have a great mind Nick.....Clap

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 12:54
A retreat may not neccessarily mean defeat. Unlike the Spartans the Romans didn't fight fair. They could pretend to run then lure the Greeks into a trap
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 13:16
Originally posted by Nick1986

A retreat may not neccessarily mean defeat. Unlike the Spartans the Romans didn't fight fair. They could pretend to run then lure the Greeks into a trap

Were the Romans known for the use of the faux retreat?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 13:20
They encountered such tactics at the Battle of Cremera in 477BC. If things started to go badly they may well have employed a similar tactic to lure the Spartans into the open
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 14:14

They encountered such tactics at the Battle of Cremera in 477BC. If things started to go badly they may well have employed a similar tactic to lure the Spartans into the open

Yes I know they encountered it many many times, but did they ever employ it?
Alesayr View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Alesayr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 09:45
Rome, and probably easily. The Roman military tactics, training and equipment simply was the rock to the scissors of the phalanx of the time. While I don't doubt Spartan soldiers training, discipline (despite some movies recently...) and ability. But Spartans, while well loved by history buffs everywhere, do not automatically get Sparta Wins for that... Sparta, even with the rest of Greece subjugated under them, did not have the resources to engage in a protracted engagement with Rome. Roman and Spartan soldiers would have been at the least equals, with roman equipment giving the edge. This is the Republic, not the fall of the Empire 500 odd years later. Roman equipment, training, discipline, and resources win out.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 14:28

Roman cavalry would definitely tip the balance but i'm just talking swords and shields. Both these weapons gave the advantage to the Romans: the gladius was made from high-quality steel and the shield was strong yet lightweight, protecting the soldier from neck to knee and providing him with a vicious weapon in the form of the shield boss which could be thrust into an enemy's face to temporarily stun him while the legionary is busy killing his mate

Roman cavalry is just as bad as non-Macedonian greek cav, they wouldn't be able to tip the balance because on top of being weakly trained, they were usually present in very small numbers (about 5% of the total army). I think the Spartans would definitely win against the Romans, one main reason is due to the phalanx formation against which the legionaries would definitely struggle. In a phalanx formation infantrymen are tightly packed and able to defend each other with the very large Hoplon whilst stabbing the enemy with their spears. Technically speaking, both the Roman and Greek infantry use a similar tactic of hiding behind large shields and stabbing when close to the enemy only that the Greeks have the advantage of keeping the enemy at a distance.

In terms of the Roman javelins, I am sure that they would be quite ineffective against the heavily armoured Spartans. The Pila would not be able to penetrate their hoplons, they have been shown to be effective against lightly armoured troops such as the Parthians and Gauls, not Greek hoplites. I don't see a big difference between the gladius and Greek Xyphos, they are both similar and effective.

As someone said earlier, unless the Spartans are heavily outnumbered in which case the hoplites in the flank or rear of the phalanx would really struggle, the Spartans have a good chance of winning.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 19:02
Roman armor was designed to withstand slashing weapons: in their battles with the Iceni eight Britons were killed for every Roman casualty. The Greeks' armor had weak points in the neck and armpit while its large pauldrons limited the warrior's movement
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2011 at 10:24
Again, movement is a major trade-off when fighting in Phalanx formation so I don't think that would really matter. Actually, when the Romans met the Dacians they were cut up into pieces due to the Dacians' use of Falxes and sickle swords which were able to cleave through the helmet and bring immediate death to the unfortunate Roman soldier. A Greek falcata would have had a similar slashing property making it quite effective in the same manner as Dacian swords. But I definitely agree concerning the laminated breastplate which would have been able to withstand such attacks.

My main point was that the phalanx formation would be difficult for the Romans to break through which could only be an advantage to the Greeks.
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply