Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll Empires Magazine is looking for Contributors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Empires Magazine is looking for Contributors
    Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 14:03
Okay folks, don't encourage him.  He is a troll just trying to stir something up.  I'm not going to delete any of this. This a subject for the minefield.  Actually it is an old and worn out topic that's been beaten to death and revived a hundred times.  Unless anyone has something really new, we'll just let it rest.  I will close anything that simply rehashes the old.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 14:05
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Patience Ron...let them digest it.Wink

Anyone have a Tums?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
HerodAntipas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2011 at 11:52
Hey guys, I'd be really interested to read the old magazine articles, but I can't seem to access them. Is this a problem with the website, or an issue at my end?

"Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiastes.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2011 at 21:52
Go here and then search the index....I can access them.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2011 at 10:16

S. T. Friedman

Lewis Pratt View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2011 at 23:44
here is an article i did a little while ago. its about agesilaus, one of sprtas greatest kings.
(i might send some more articles in case this one is not satasfactory.)

Agesilaus

The fall of independent Sparta

Agesilaus

The fall of independent Sparta

Prologue

Independent Sparta did not fall over night. It to over two hundred years filled with hardship. This is a story of war, and of a king like no other. A King who was not only a politician, but a champion of Sparta. His name was Agesilaus II.

Introduction to Agiselaus

Agesilaus (Agesilaus ) was Born in 444/443 BC. He was one of two sons. His half elder brother, Agis II (Agis II) whose reign lasted from 426 BC to 400 BC.

Agis’ Normal Successor would have been his son, Leotychidas (Leotychidas). However, Leotychidas was often considered to be a son of Alcibades (Alcibades). A debate lasted for some time over who should be king. Agesilaus objected to Leotychidas’ reign saying that he was a mere bastard. In turn, Leotychidas claimed that an Oracle had warned against the lame king, which Agesilaus was.

The political rivalry was concluded when Lysander, a friend and mentor to Agesilaus, stated that the true meaning of the oracles words were that the lame king was the king that was a bastard.

Lysander

Lysander (Lysander) was a general of Sparta (Sparta). not much is known of his early life. His father was Aristocleitus (Aristocleitus). Aristocleitus was a member of the Spartan Heracleidae (Heracleidae). that means he claimed to descend from Heracles (Herarcles).

Lysander’s family was a poor one, so, when young, he had to have sponsorship to be able to train for the Spartan military.

Lysander became quite highly ranked in the Army.

In 407 BC he became admiral. Eventually he became General. He formed the Spartan Hegemony.

Agesilaus inherited this Spartan Hegemony.

Agesilaus and the battle of Leuctra

On July 6th 371 BC, the battle of Leuctra (Leuctra) was fought between the Boeotians (Boeotians), led by the Thebans (Thebans) and Sparta (with there Allies).

The battle took place in the territory of Thespiae (Thespiae).     

Sparta had gained an immense influence after the Peloponnesian war; they weakened that when they lost the battle of Leuctra. They also lost the Spartan Hegemony. Sparta was forced to maintain it independence, though now weakened and humiliated.

Agesilaus, the king of mercenaries

Now, Sparta gained its money by becoming mercenaries. Agesilaus was the leader. In 361 BC, he went to Egypt to serve the Pharaoh, Nectanebo and his regent Teos against Persia. Later, he soon transferred his services to Teos's cousin and rival Nectanebo II, who, in return for his help, gave him a sum of over 200 talents.

After Agesilaus died in 359 BC, the Egyptian pharaoh, Nectanebo II, had Agesilaus’ body royally embalmed and sent back to Sparta to be buried.

He was a King who held cultural and noble beliefs of Sparta very closely indeed.

Here is a Quote from Agesilaus when he was asked if he wanted a memorial in his honor.

“If I have done any noble action, that is a sufficient memorial; if I have done nothing noble, all the statues in the world will not preserve my memory.”

Decline of Sparta

After Agesilaus’ death, Sparta slowly fell; taking a period of two centuries. That is, until it was weak enough to be conquered (which it was).

However, none of the Spartan kings strived to be as good as Agesilaus. The sold parts of and lost cultural ideals. This all lead to Sparta’s decline.

Lewis Pratt
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2011 at 01:10
Thank you for your contribution.
The editor will no doubt appreciate your efforts.Smile

S. T. Friedman

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2011 at 18:31
Dear Lewis Pratt,

Below is your entry, but I have edited a few points that should be looked at by you.

"Prologue

Independent Sparta did not fall over night. It to (took) over two hundred years filled with hardship. This is a story of war, and of a king like no other. A King who was not only a politician, but a champion of Sparta. His name was Agesilaus II.

Introduction to Agiselaus

Agesilaus (Agesilaus ) was Born in 444/443 BC. He was one of two sons. His half elder brother, Agis II (Agis II), whose reign lasted from 426 BC to 400 BC. (perhaps some explanation needs to be written here?)

Agis’ Normal Successor would have been his son, Leotychidas (Leotychidas). However, Leotychidas was often considered to be a son of Alcibades (Alcibades). A debate lasted for some time over who should be king. Agesilaus objected to Leotychidas’ reign saying that he was a mere bastard. In turn, Leotychidas claimed that an Oracle had warned against the lame king, which Agesilaus was. (Perhaps again you should have mentioned that Agesilaus was crippled?)

The political rivalry was concluded when Lysander, a friend and mentor to Agesilaus, stated that the true meaning of the oracles words were that the lame king was the king that was a bastard.

Lysander

Lysander (Lysander) was a general of Sparta (Sparta) (why is Sparta within the brackets?). not much is known of his early life. His father was Aristocleitus (Aristocleitus). Aristocleitus was a member of the Spartan Heracleidae (Heracleidae). (comma) that means he claimed to descend from Heracles (Herarcles).

Lysander’s family was a poor one, so, when young, he had to have sponsorship to be able to train for the Spartan military.

Lysander became quite highly ranked in the Army.

In 407 BC he became admiral. Eventually he became General. He formed the Spartan Hegemony.

Agesilaus inherited this Spartan Hegemony.

Agesilaus and the battle of Leuctra

On July 6th 371 BC, the battle of Leuctra (Leuctra) was fought between the Boeotians (Boeotians), led by the Thebans (Thebans) (Again why brackets?) and Sparta (with there (their, the possessive spelling) Allies).

The battle took place in the territory of Thespiae (Thespiae).     

Sparta had gained an immense influence after the Peloponnesian war; they weakened that when they lost the battle of Leuctra. They also lost the Spartan Hegemony. Sparta was forced to maintain it independence, though now weakened and humiliated.

Agesilaus, the king of mercenaries

Now, Sparta gained its money by becoming mercenaries. Agesilaus was the leader. In 361 BC, he went to Egypt to serve the Pharaoh, Nectanebo and his regent Teos against Persia. Later, he soon transferred his services to Teos's cousin and rival Nectanebo II, who, in return for his help, gave him a sum of over 200 talents.

After Agesilaus died in 359 BC, the Egyptian pharaoh, Nectanebo II, had Agesilaus’ body royally embalmed and sent back to Sparta to be buried.

He was a King who held cultural and noble beliefs of Sparta very closely indeed.

Here is a Quote from Agesilaus when he was asked if he wanted a memorial in his honor.

“If I have done any noble action, that is a sufficient memorial; if I have done nothing noble, all the statues in the world will not preserve my memory.”

Decline of Sparta

After Agesilaus’ death, Sparta slowly fell (I would suggest the word "declined?"); taking a period of two centuries. That is, until it was weak enough to be conquered (which it was).

However, none of the Spartan kings strived to be as good as Agesilaus. The sold parts of and lost cultural ideals. This all lead to Sparta’s decline."

I would also suggest a that you use a few more compound sentences and/or complex sentences, most of yours are "simple sentences"

Sorry, but anything submitted to an "editor" will be subjected to the same standards, in most cases.

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
ducky View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 14:10
The last post here is very old.  I have quite a bit of information on US history.  Is there are interest in articles about this?  Is there any period of US history that would be more interesting than others?  
Now isn't that just ducky
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 14:18
That would depend on the article context and subject. What I might find interesting you might totally disregard for any number of reasons. The only way to know is for you to write one and see the reaction.
Feel free to contribute.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Pellaeon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 10:27
I'll sign up :D
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 13:27
Excellent. Start writing.Thumbs Up

S. T. Friedman

Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 17:07
So, should I post the article or PM it?
For money you did what guns could not do.........
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 21:06
I would like to post some of my poems, what's the order in which it have to be done?
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 22:04
Seek out guidance from Nick as he is the CIC of the editorial staff. You can not go wrong. I look forward to seeing the contributions of all who have expressed interest.

And as a member first... I thank you for the willingness to bring this great sub back into pre-eminence.

Thumbs Up

S. T. Friedman

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 23:23
You are most welcome, thank you for your kindness!Smile
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2011 at 16:56
I have one about the Fall of Constantinople 1453 already finished and edited. I have it saved on a flash drive so any time.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
discoverboo View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2011 at 12:42
Hi,

I would like to be a contributor for alternative...

We can re-write history with solid proofs...

my email id - discoverboo@gmail.com

Regards,
Boopathi L
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2011 at 17:49
Then contribute. Our editor there ole Nick will check it.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 04:18
Due to continuous spamming... this thread is now locked. If you wish to contribute to the magazine contact Nick who is the editor and a forum moderator.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123