Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Ireland Has No Snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Ireland Has No Snakes
    Posted: 05-May-2011 at 18:51
Coulda went into Science but what the hell...the rationale incorporates myths-reality and science.

ps. I still like St. Paddy's version.LOL

Why Ireland Has No Snakes

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 17:06
In today's world, we often take words at face value. The whole "driving the snakes out" was a reference to the druids, who used to have a snake tattoo on their backs. Of course, that's no good for tourism LOL
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 12:35
How long did the Druids continue in Ireland after the Romans left Britain? And where did they go after St Patrick drove them out?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 12:51
I'll be polite and ask you:How do you so sure that came/gone ever have happened?Morphing would have been more appropriate transformation that have happened since dawn of humanity!Is it so bad ,shaman's  part could be shared in DNA,with other parts?There would be a lot of magic in forum!Big smile
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 13:40
The Druids converted to Christianity almost wholesale, that was around 450 AD, if memory serves. And I hope they weren't morphing LOLWink
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 11:03
I wonder if the legendary Merlin was one of these Irish druids. He was said to have killed giants in Ireland (leading his forces against enemy tribes whose leaders tended to be the biggest and strongest warriors). If he was fleeing St Patrick Wales would have been an ideal refuge due to its remote, mountainous terrain and deep forests, while even a Christian king like Arthur (who probably still prayed to the old gods in addition to Christ) would have respected Merlin's wisdom and prophesies
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 12:21
  Did I post my bit on Irish Paganism here yet? It is certainly an interesting theory, that Merlin was a druid. I imagine you'd have a tough time proving it.

Edited by Michael Collins - 09-May-2011 at 12:46
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 12:28
I don't think so
ALLAN View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote ALLAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 18:49
No snakes ever, now all I have left is Father Christmas. Cry
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 19:49
Originally posted by ALLAN

No snakes ever, now all I have left is Father Christmas. Cry

Funny, England has a few snakes but that reference to the ancient Druids made sense. We have 11 sub species of rattle snake alone in Arizona. That figure does not include the other species of snake, mostly harmless. Maybe we can send one or two varities of rattlesnake to Ireland!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 16:46
Yeah! We got a few varieties down here in S. Mississippi! Sometimes we even call them "Snakes in the Grass!" But the meanest of them are but politicians!

But, we would be glad if Ireland would take a few of them!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 17:31
Ah no, we do have snakes really, we just call them bankers.
or something that rhymes with bankers.
 Post Reply Post Reply