Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christianity an Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lomeli View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lomeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christianity an Islam
    Posted: 19-Apr-2011 at 23:42
When people think Islam these days they think Arabs firing AK rounds into the air, suicide bombers an women with no rights. Of course thats a generalisation. Christianity these days has changed to the point where its on the decline (Who goes to church these days ?) So Christian fanaticism is all but extinct.

But what about the past. If we had foreign correspondents go back what religion would have been seen as the barbaric one.

Christianity :
Witch burnings
Pogroms
Multiple Jew Killings. Im not sure if thats got much to do Christianity, than what it has to do with looking for someone to blame plagues on etc etc.
Reconquista
War with Pagans
Vlad the Impayler an his brutal methods used against the Turk Muslims
Crusades: Massacre of everyone in Jerusaleum

Im sure the list can go, but that will do....

Islam:
Arab nomads convert their weakened rivals to their religion
Suicide bombers, Fanatics (present day)

When the Muslims occupied parts of Europe ie, Sicily, Constantinople, Iberian coast were they barbaric to the native population. Did they use their religion as a means to wipe out *infidels* Did they conduct massacres against the Persians or any of the surrounding Kingdoms. (I dont think ive read about it)
Where the Jews ever persecuted in the Arabic/Persian world. I believe Jews made a good target in Europe because they would have once looked semetic an they would have been more noticable in Europe, numbers wise.

As i said earlier in the post. Islam is seen as the more medieval based religion these days, but in the past what religion would or could have been the more barbaric in terms of rights to women, massacres an persection of "others" 
An with the war in Iraq weve got the Sunnis an Shiites fighting one another, so have these Islamic factions always been around, have there been any pre modern age civil wars. With Christianity i know about the protestant/Catholic faction but warring factions within the Arab world is unknown to me (until recently)
Sometimes i get the impression that some of the Christian (rulers) where using religion as a means for personal gain. Did that exist in the Islamic world or where they more serious towards Muhummads teachings.
What aspects of Christianity an Islam have changed through the ages

Edited by red clay - 20-Apr-2011 at 08:15
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 00:36
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to opine. In the meantime you have not yet recieved permission from the administrator to place site links in your signature...hence until you do and the mod staff is notified they must be deleted. This a matter of sop to keep spammers from infiltrating. We appreciate your cooperation.

If they have not been deleted from this post and or any further within a reasonable amount of time I will take further action to ensure your compliance.

Thanks and welcome to the forums.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 20-Apr-2011 at 00:42
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 18:37
I would say Christianity. The facts are just too many. First of all there is the the witch burnings and oppression of pagans. Then you have major horrible events such as the Reconquista in which auto-de-fé were used to torture boths Jews and Muslims. This is especially ungrateful of Isabella given the fact that Muslim Moorish rule in Spain was marked by peace, prosperity and freedom. Also, the Moors did save the Spanish kingdom from the Vandals. Then again you have preposterous acts such as the Crusades. The Crusades were basically used as a false pretext to conquer land and goad serfs into gaining spoils of war. Retrieving Jerusalem was a very lousy argument since the Saracens always allowed religions to freely practice pilgrimage to the holy land. The christians fought scientific development so visciously when they burned anyone who advocated the heliocentric theory. Muslims did the opposite since they were the ones who kept Greek knowledge alive and developed it further.
Timidi mater non flet
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 19:08
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

I would say Christianity. The facts are just too many. First of all there is the the witch burnings and oppression of pagans. Then you have major horrible events such as the Reconquista in which auto-de-fé were used to torture boths Jews and Muslims. This is especially ungrateful of Isabella given the fact that Muslim Moorish rule in Spain was marked by peace, prosperity and freedom. Also, the Moors did save the Spanish kingdom from the Vandals. Then again you have preposterous acts such as the Crusades. The Crusades were basically used as a false pretext to conquer land and goad serfs into gaining spoils of war. Retrieving Jerusalem was a very lousy argument since the Saracens always allowed religions to freely practice pilgrimage to the holy land. The christians fought scientific development so visciously when they burned anyone who advocated the heliocentric theory. Muslims did the opposite since they were the ones who kept Greek knowledge alive and developed it further.

While I don't embrace any one religion, although I believe in one God, I know humans seem to always turn even good into evil. The fact is these people were not following the teachings of Christ, which were very peaceful and full of the notion of forgiveness & compassion.

Your facts about crusades are, no offense, are only half true. The region taken by the Crusaders was once Christian and it was an attempt to take back former Christians lands and stop Islamic expansion. Not including the Islamic conquest of the Persian Empire and pagan India. It was the Roman Emperor Alexius Comnena who suggested the idea of armed assistance from the west to take back lands, in Anatolia, that was forcefully taken by the Muslim Turks after the Battle of Manziker in 1071 AD. Sadly, what arrived at the walls of Constantinople was not what asked for and yes there were atrocities committed by the Crusaders. But, so were there at the Islamic sieges of Alexandria, Antioch and Constantinople, to name a few.

If you have an open mind then here is something for you to digest.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/Stenhouse/crusades.01.htm

Edited by eaglecap - 20-Apr-2011 at 19:09
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 03:00
What did happen after Cortes came on American continent?How they have conquered and controlled nations on this continent obedient?They founded the tiniest differences among them and made them bigger and bigger until same nations were not separated in dozen of nations as they are today!?!This was recipe older and first implemented on Eurasian continent!After the fail of Roman biggest enemies,they have destroyed their national entities and have created them enemies.Easiest way to do this was:split religion in more than one!Could not have been neglected also here competition among lot of power centers also.Main goal was and would be:Separate and rule!You have to have enemies always all around you,your governing would be strong!America's rulers,Pre Columbian,met themselves, war would have been arranged.Cause prisoners and sacrificial rituals allowed them preservation of power and throne!?!Where do the differences are now!?!In same time you send competition(crusaders wars),social cases(all modern wars) and solve some economy top priorities,during those wars!?!What do if we are all Muslims or Christians?Master race will vanished!?!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 21-Apr-2011 at 05:25
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 04:15
Tisn't realistic anyway. You forgot about all those Buddhists and Hindus who disagree with the premise that Christianity or Islam are or is a/the master theological idea.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 04:55
Thanks CV that contribute with example of same story on different place!Buddhists and Hindus!
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply