Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

His Story - war and peace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: His Story - war and peace
    Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 11:51
I am writing out of frustration!   The Teaching Company is having another 70% sale, so I have been combing through their course offerings.  Again and again, explanations of all that is good, and western culture, begin with a recount of how much western civilization owes the Jews.  Since I have learned of Zoroastrianism, I think we seriously need to adjust our explanations of civilization and goodness.   Zoroastrianism's recorded tradition of equality, moral aspirations and forgiveness predates the Jewish accounts, who sure as blazes were not into equality, but give us a cock-a-mimie story about God's chosen people, and how this God encourages them to kill others and take their land, and than how God's chosen people were persecuted because of their love of God.  Dead 

What might happen to our perceptions of reality, if we acknowledged the Persians and native Americans, and others, for what is great about the US, instead of repeating stories that distort our opinion of ourselves and others?    What if we stop creating a false belief in God's chosen people?  Seriously folks, is not this the worst mythology of humanity, leading us to all kinds of trouble? 

Thanks to forums like these, I have communicated with people from around the world, and discovered they are intelligent and civilized people.  Some of them having a better understanding of democracy and good manners than the majority of people in the US.  We need to change His Story so it does not give us such a distorted view of others and ourselves.   Than we can work on rule by reason and perhaps bring the world to peace.   This is what those who love democracy should be doing, because democracy is rule by reason, not rule by superstitious notions that justify the exploitation of "those people" and their resources, by God's chosen people.  

Edited by Athena - 26-Mar-2011 at 11:57
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 14:47
While it certainly is a worthy cause to promote study and interchange of cultural ideals and traditions and their historical developement... and it is equally important to recognize their impact on any nation state.. what equally remains important is being unbiased and objective in the effort. And that means one must be willing to acknowledge that which one also possibly doesn't like.

Whether one believes it deserves a place of primacy  or how that occured in the historical record is moot in the sense that one can accept or not...challenge or not.

And while I'm no practicioner of PCness as a political philosphy; it means ntl less also that I show dignity and courtsey to all theology and it's varying adherents, in this case to the question posed, to include Jews or Islamists....or paganists or those who worship animals and the elements.

Acknowledge not necessarily agree.

As a historian it's my responsibility, if attempting to challenge a  self-percieved inaccuracy or position; to do it in an objective and contextual fashion through the use of the method as my guide.

To do other merely results in identification as a bigot or a fraud.....or a revisonist serving to promote my personal agenda and not necessarily the historical record. Let alone understand why the record is showing what it does.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 15:38
Where do God's chosen people fill everlasting energy?Frustrations and complexes,caused by social unnatural
stereotypes and common fetish goals in human life!?!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 16:14
They do not....and the use in this case.... of the phrase 'god's chosen people' remains moot as I indicated above. As obviously not everyone believes that. All ethnic groups have had controversial elements that might be found in their creation and historical, sociological developement that then might have been rejected by non-members. Nothing new about that.

Note what I said: All ethnic groups. And this would include their theological or lack thereof belief systems. Consequently to compare and contrast from a 'historical and contextual perspective' is encouraged and welcomed by any and all. And if members here do not understand what I mean by the above then they should afford themselves of the oppurtunity to learn what it means. Google historical method...and that should suffice.

As a retired Army officer and also professional military historian I learned it early on.

What will not be acceptable ...certainly by me..... is blanket statements or attempts at revisonist ideaologies, not studied in that historical context. Which in all reality, imo, are nothing more then covert attempts or become defacto attempts of bigotries...bias...or proselytization of alternative ideaologies-theologies etc....without and effort to do the comparision and analysis of the theory....and study of the record in what ever form the record takes.

IOW 'sloppy work' or feigned sloppy work won't cut it.

And rascism and bigotry damn sure won't work...overt or covert. Period.

Thanks

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 26-Mar-2011 at 17:55

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 16:32
Yes Sir,i am going back to gymnasium to exercise my rhetorical skills for better answer! Cry
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 18:00
Your skills are fine and no slight was intended......and if you did see it as such... I apologise....for I enjoy your knowledge and passion for speaking what you believe.

But my very nature as a professional (even as a retired one) revolts at proclamations of claptrap, and that's addressed to no one here as well; that would deliberately or other, cause a confusion or revision to occur when it can not stand the scrutiny demanded by layman or proffessional alike....and certainly when it's neither accurate or reflects the way 'History the Great Lady' should be studied and recorded.
Thanks

S. T. Friedman

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 10:08
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

They do not....and the use in this case.... of the phrase 'god's chosen people' remains moot as I indicated above. As obviously not everyone believes that. All ethnic groups have had controversial elements that might be found in their creation and historical, sociological developement that then might have been rejected by non-members. Nothing new about that.

Note what I said: All ethnic groups. And this would include their theological or lack thereof belief systems. Consequently to compare and contrast from a 'historical and contextual perspective' is encouraged and welcomed by any and all. And if members here do not understand what I mean by the above then they should afford themselves of the oppurtunity to learn what it means. Google historical method...and that should suffice.

As a retired Army officer and also professional military historian I learned it early on.

What will not be acceptable ...certainly by me..... is blanket statements or attempts at revisonist ideaologies, not studied in that historical context. Which in all reality, imo, are nothing more then covert attempts or become defacto attempts of bigotries...bias...or proselytization of alternative ideaologies-theologies etc....without and effort to do the comparision and analysis of the theory....and study of the record in what ever form the record takes.

IOW 'sloppy work' or feigned sloppy work won't cut it.

And rascism and bigotry damn sure won't work...overt or covert. Period.

Thanks

Really, the mythology of Judaism and explaining the superiority of the west begins with Israel, is not important to what is happening today?   Our failure to be informed of Sumer's Garden of Eden, and how Zoroastrianism impacted, Cyrus, and the creation of the Persian empire is not important to our own national mythology of superiority and reaction to the mid east?   You might have a less biased knowledge of history, but main stream society does not.  

Let's see, Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the God of Abraham, and all teach the Jews were God's chosen people, because they have to, to give this God and themselves legitimacy.  They hold that this God acts on his pleasure or displeasure with humans.  The belief in such a God has been behind many wars, including the cold war between U.S.A. and the U.S.S.R..  And this subject is not worthy of discussion why?   Because you understand this bias is ignorant?   I really do not agree that people believing "God has chosen people" is moot!   The Christian right who elected and re elected Bush Jr.  sure were not thinking the invasion of Iraq was about the New Century America Project, planned long before 9/11 with the intent of the US having military domination of the mid east, because oil is vital to all industrial economies.   Please, do not tell me that people's religious beliefs are moot, because I see things very differently, and so does everyone concerned about what will happen in the mid east, now that the long established rulers have lost power.    

I will gladly give you "the comparision and analysis of the theory" of democracy verses theology if you want it, and I would appreciate a reply to everything I said in the thread about autocracy as well.   Frustratingly for me, there does not seem to be much interest is discussing democracy verses autocracy or education.  

Edited by Athena - 27-Mar-2011 at 10:22
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 10:18
Originally posted by medenaywe

Yes Sir,i am going back to gymnasium to exercise my rhetorical skills for better answer! Cry

Laugh, now I know why people object to my post.   My nature can not be professional, but I sure do write in an unfriendly way, and sincerely want to change that.   I want to publish book, and know this will not successful be if I do not  change how I word myself.   I suspect the approach to writing has something to do with our age and past concepts of authority? 

Edited by Athena - 27-Mar-2011 at 10:29
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 10:31
History is never ending repeating cycle and pause time have to be used for laugh and joke.My name makes me to behave this way.Regards.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 13:41
Athena-

What you write and opine is immaterial to me personally as a member; as a moderator what you write and opine will be judged against the COC...just like anyone else. Present your theories and datum...defend your positions and continue to do it in accordance with forum guidelines-rules...all will be well...

don't.... and it will not be well. It's that simple. Because at this point your focus is beginning to appear as a diatribe against any non form of zoroastrianism as a spiritual belief mechanism and there are some here who might find it offensive. As I noted earlier discuss this historically and contextually in a professional manner....and that potential is then reduced if not eliminated.

So remember.... my personal advice? respect...acknowledge and disagree as you will.....respect and acknowledge ntl.

Thanks

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 27-Mar-2011 at 16:26

S. T. Friedman

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 08:02

Athena-

What you write and opine is immaterial to me personally as a member; as a moderator what you write and opine will be judged against the COC...just like anyone else. Present your theories and datum...defend your positions and continue to do it in accordance with forum guidelines-rules...all will be well...

don't.... and it will not be well. It's that simple. Because at this point your focus is beginning to appear as a diatribe against any non form of zoroastrianism as a spiritual belief mechanism and there are some here who might find it offensive. As I noted earlier discuss this historically and contextually in a professional manner....and that potential is then reduced if not eliminated.

So remember.... my personal advice? respect...acknowledge and disagree as you will.....respect and acknowledge ntl.

Thanks

You are a late comer to this discussion.  It is the members of this forum who corrected me, when I was writing about Persia being a despot and oppressing people, and Alexander the Great liberating them.   Because of them, I learned this His Story is biased, and in researching my embarrassing error, I learned what Zoroastrianism has to do with our morality and liberty, and the Roman "liberty cap".  I learned the Greeks and Romans adopted the best parts of Persian government, and that Cyrus was a great leader who could win the peace.   Are you arguing that our popular account of history is not biased, and that correcting this bias would not effect our attitude towards the people of mid east?   Thanks to meeting these people on line, and getting their side of the Story, my understanding of history is changed.  This was at first an embarrassing experience as I came across people of the mid east who are more literate and can write of democracy much more eloquently than I can.   This is not how people of the mid east have been presented to us. 

Next possible area of disagreement.  Are you arguing that religious people do not hold the idea of a God who has favorites, and who either punishes and rewards people, depending on if He is pleased or  displeased?  How would you like me to validate that point. Would quotes from the bible help?  Should I link to religious sites to validate what religious people believe is true?    

Giving credit to Israel for our morality and liberty, while omitting any mention of Persia and Zoroastrianism is a bias.  Should I link to the on line sites that mention Zoroastrian may have influenced Judaism and Christianity, meaning its ideas of morality and liberty predate the other  religions.  Like I am having trouble understanding your complaint, and exactly what corrections you think I should make.   This thread is about who to credit for what, and what we need to do to avoid bias, not who has "God's truth".   As I understand democracy, we can not know God, but can only study nature and infer something about God.  Science is to democracy what religion is to autocracy.  Zoroastrianism is important because of its teachings of morality and liberty, both are important to democracy.  I am not saying Zoroastrianism defines God better than other religions.    Unfortunately, Zoroastrianism was over run by superstition, and this superstition became a part of Christianity, separating good and evil, as the Hebrews did not do. 
  1. Online Library of Liberty - The Teachings of Zoroaster and the ...

The Online Library of Liberty is provided in order to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals by making freely ...
    oll.libertyfund.org/index.php?option=com_staticxt... - Cached - Similar  
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 14:24
Originally posted by Athena

Athena-

Thanks

You are a late comer to this discussion.  It is the members of this forum who corrected me, when I was writing about Persia being a despot and oppressing people, and Alexander the Great liberating them.   Because of them, I learned this His Story is biased, and in researching my embarrassing error, I learned what Zoroastrianism has to do with our morality and liberty, and the Roman "liberty cap".  I learned the Greeks and Romans adopted the best parts of Persian government, and that Cyrus was a great leader who could win the peace.   Are you arguing that our popular account of history is not biased, and that correcting this bias would not effect our attitude towards the people of mid east?   Thanks to meeting these people on line, and getting their side of the Story, my understanding of history is changed.  This was at first an embarrassing experience as I came across people of the mid east who are more literate and can write of democracy much more eloquently than I can.   This is not how people of the mid east have been presented to us. 

Next possible area of disagreement.  Are you arguing that religious people do not hold the idea of a God who has favorites, and who either punishes and rewards people, depending on if He is pleased or  displeased?  How would you like me to validate that point. Would quotes from the bible help?  Should I link to religious sites to validate what religious people believe is true?    

Giving credit to Israel for our morality and liberty, while omitting any mention of Persia and Zoroastrianism is a bias.  Should I link to the on line sites that mention Zoroastrian may have influenced Judaism and Christianity, meaning its ideas of morality and liberty predate the other  religions.  Like I am having trouble understanding your complaint, and exactly what corrections you think I should make.   This thread is about who to credit for what, and what we need to do to avoid bias, not who has "God's truth".   As I understand democracy, we can not know God, but can only study nature and infer something about God.  Science is to democracy what religion is to autocracy.  Zoroastrianism is important because of its teachings of morality and liberty, both are important to democracy.  I am not saying Zoroastrianism defines God better than other religions.    Unfortunately, Zoroastrianism was over run by superstition, and this superstition became a part of Christianity, separating good and evil, as the Hebrews did not do. 
  1. Online Library of Liberty - The Teachings of Zoroaster and the ...

The Online Library of Liberty is provided in order to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals by making freely ...
    oll.libertyfund.org/index.php?option=com_staticxt... - Cached - Similar  

Whether I am late commer..to the thread or not is immaterial. You have voiced concerns that do not exsist. My position has been laid out in my previous posts...what you correct or not is equally moot as you will or will not be challenged by others with an interest and or more access to factual material and references that merit a need for rebuttal.

You have not been threatend and you have not been warned. I pointed out what I did based on long experience as a member here and elsewhere and rendered some advice as to how to avoid inflammatory sbject matter....or that which might prove offensive to others.  Generally it's the tone of the written statement that starts that. (I should know as I have been accused of it many times)

It is not offensive to me personally..ie. your topic.. but that doesn't mean it might not be to others. 

As a moderator here and former moderator elsewhere it's my responsibility to do that as well. And if and when i feel the need that's what will happen.

Quite frankly you don't have to like that and I can understand why. As I also.. on different venues.. have recieved short shrift on occassion by those I have oft described as 'feigned cliquist intellectualists'...and these have included moderators. And I have been suspended on more then one as a result of my passion for fairness when I percieved it did not exsist. So I, again, recognize and compliement yours.

And to continue in the vein of frankness....I have little interest in your subject matter at hand and consequently have not posted in response as regards it's veracity, value or conclusions directly.

I do find your posts informative and whether or not you posess the academic qualifications of a Rhodes scholar is equally not important.... to me. As I disdain utterly, intellectual frauds....and much prefer an honest attempt to discuss subjects without pretensions of academician superority. Thus you have the right to bring material of your choice and discuss it in a respectful fashion....no matter your experience or actual academic qualifications. 

And I believe you are honestly doing that.. and subsequently hope you continue. As for my reference to the use of the 'method'..that is a general statement that I find is useful for anyone layman or proffesional to consider and adopt as this enhances, imo, the study of history.

So in conclusion...I hope this clarifies for you where I am comming from....I'm not your opponet Athena nor is it my intent to be anyones.

But like you, when I percieve the potential for concern; I have the moral courage and personal obligation to voice it and not hide in the shadows.....if I did that... my Regiment would disown me....and for me... that would be a fate worse then any I could imagine.

Thanks

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 14:45
Why do you argue people?Without pro and contra we have no"Lupus in fabula" development.If i think that something is true 100%, will not ask and post here!Or will post it without comments!Mono drama . 
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 14:45
Bored mods are the enemies of the regular members .... why moderating discussion that dont need moderating because noone is fighting here?

And we are the regiment of the people who in majority are very different from soldiers, especially profesional soldiers ... starting with this that we prefer to think instead of fulfilling orders :)

This site was once gaged basing on such sort of arguments, why doing it again.
The best mods are those who moderate discussion only when this is necessary.....

Edited by Mosquito - 28-Mar-2011 at 14:59
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Reply Post Reply