Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sumerian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Loren View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sumerian
    Posted: 12-Feb-2011 at 18:30
So I have an exam on Tuesday and my backpack was stolen and I need help with my study guide because I no longer have the book.
Of the following I need to anwser the who, what, when, where, and why each is historically significant

Sumerian, Cuneiform, Epic of gilgamesh, Hyksos, Akhenaten, Hatshepsut, Book of the dead, Varna, Brahman, Phoenicians, Shang, Oracle Bones, Zhou, Mandate of Heaven.

Also, I need help anwsering some questions.

1.  In what ways did physical geography impact the development of specific civilizations?  I need to include examples form Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, and china.  I just need examples for 2 of these regions

2. In what ways did the social structure and ideas of ancient Egypt reflect the influence of the Nile?  Was this people-river relationship different from that which evolved in the societies of the Tigris-Euphrates regions?  Why or Why not?

3. How did he Chinese rebels justify their overthrow of the existing dynasty?   When anwsering this question use specific example from the shang and the Zhou dynastys.

4. Hammurabi's Code reflected the Mesopotamian society of the time.  What were the advantages and disadvantages of such a code?

Hey guys any help with this would be grand because as a college student I cannot afford another book. Thanks.
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2011 at 12:36
You can find the story of Epic of gilgamesh, on line.  Most important is the story of creation.  It speaks of pure and bright land that knew no sickness nor death.  It is the home of the gods.  "Into this peaceful realm the water god Enki had fresh water brought so a lush garden might grow.  He then begat through the earthmother goddess Ninhursag three generations of goddesses, all born with painless labor.  Ninhursag, in turn, created eight precious plants, which Enki ate.  Angry Ninhursag declared that Enki must die and abandoned him.  When eight parts of Enki's body began to fail, a clever fox persuaded Ninhursag to save the water god.  Seated beside him, she brought into being a healing deity for each afflicted part, one of which was a rib.

The Sumerian word for rib is ti, and the rib-healing goddess came to be called Ninti, which translates both as "the lady of the rib" and the "the Lady who makes livel  This play on words does not work in Hebrew, but the rib did enter the Garden of Eden story in the form of Eve, the mother of the hu;man race- "the lady who makes live".  Interestingly, the words Eden and Adam also appear in cuneiform.  Eden means "uncultivated plain";  Adam, "settle on the plain"."  From Time Life  "Sumer: Cites of Eden"

Besides the fact that is the bases for the story of Adam and Eve, the story tells us Ninhursag created Adam and Eve to help the river stay in its banks.  This region is where the transition from hunt gathers to herders to farmers with irrigation, was made.   This transition could be made here, because of the variety of animals suitable for domestication, wild sheep and goats and later the wild boar were all domesticated.  These animals flourished here because of the grains, barley, and two strains of wheat.    All this food doing well, because of the  fertile valley fed by rivers. which the people tamed with irrigation, and an ideal climate. 

Note, this easy life comes with a belief in the earth goddess, and good shepherd (Jesus), and evolves into the idea that there is a God who takes care of us.  A belief that the Mongols coming from the harsh climate of Tibet thought was totally ridiculus!  Their sky god didn't care about humans at all, but just assume kill them with lightening and deadly snow storms. 

Edited by Athena - 13-Feb-2011 at 12:38
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 13:26
Because of the accusations against me, I think it is prudent for me to bring this thread to the list of new post.  I objected to the bias of history in the US, and gave two examples of this bias, the omission of Sumer and the omission of Zoroastrianism in our accounts of history, while repeatedly crediting Israel with our morality and liberty.   I think this bias has serious political implications, and I think I have been threatened for saying so.   But I could be wrong.  In case I am not, I want to stress the equal importance of ignoring Sumer, and defend against the assumption that I favor Zoroastrianism and without justification attack the God of Abraham religions.   My religion is democracy.  That means, I firmly believe the best we can do is study humans and nature and from that imply something about God, as was so for some Hellenistic leaders who strongly opposed Judaism, before many Jews became Hellenized and then wrote the Christian bible.  I understand all holy books as the works of humans and as allegories to be interpreted abstractly, not literally.  

I do not believe the Jews, or anyone else, got some special messages from God.  I feel confident that the story of the Hebrew story the Garden of Eden and flood, came from the former Sumerian city of Ur, and was a translation of the Sumerian story, that is mentioned in my above post.   I am less confident that this translation was the result of people fleeing Amenhetop's holy city, but do think this is probably what happen.  Amenhetop's monotheistic religion was the result of researching Egypt's archives for knowledge of the true God.  This drive to research archives for knowledge of the true God, being carried to the former region of Sumer, when Amenhetop's holy city was destroyed, and Egypt returned to the worship of many gods, bringing to an end Amenhetop's efforts to establish monotheism. 

I am hoping this further explanation of my position on such matters, clears me of the accusations that appear to threaten if I am allowed to be a member of the forums or not.   My post may not reach the standard of well trained historians, but really, is that the standard demanded of these forum?   And might ? well trained historians be subject to bias?  If we do not honor freedom of speech, but leave judgment and power in the hands of a few "authorities" might this not lead to biased history?    We can only hope that in a international forum this does not happen. 

Edited by Athena - 28-Mar-2011 at 13:28
ETL_Guy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ETL_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 15:21
You mention in this post 'Mongols coming from the harsh climate of Tibet'.  Can you clarify what is meant by this?

To the best of my knowledge, Mongols did not originate in Tibet, or any Himalayan mountain region that could be identified as Tibet, although you could argue the Asian steppe where they did originate is also a harsh climate compared to the river valleys in Mesopotamia.
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2012 at 14:05
I'm trying to cite primary source material involving the place-name "Barahs" which appears in Lugal-zage-si's inscriptions and a latter form of "Barahsi" which appears in Sargon of Akkad's inscriptions. The form is "Parahsi" and is supposed to appear in later Akkadian inscriptions. Can anyone help me? The forms "Barahs" and "Parahsi" always appear side by side the place-name Elam.
 Post Reply Post Reply