Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Columbus wasnt Italian, he was... Polish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Columbus wasnt Italian, he was... Polish?
    Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 17:31
Im not sure if I should belive it or not but recently historians discovered that Christopher Columbus, discoverer of America was really not Italian but Polish. Actually it is a news lol.... Im not sure, is it 1st april today or was it yesterday?

Christopher Columbus was Polish, not Italian, claims new book, and kept his identity a secret

BY Corky Siemaszko AND Christina Boyle
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, November 29th 2010, 11:27 PM

Christopher Columbus may have been hiding his real heritage.
Christopher Columbus may have been hiding his real heritage.

Mamma Mia! A new book claims Christopher Columbus was Polish - not Italian.

New research suggests the man credited with discovering America was actually the son of exiled Polish King Vladislav III - and not the son of a humble craftsman from Genoa.

Manuel Rosa, who works in Duke University's IT department, delves into the historical figure's background in his biography "Columbus: The Untold Story."

"I spent my first 10 years of investigation trying to confirm the current story of the Genoese wool-weaver, until I understood...that the Genoese wool-weaver story is a fable," Rosa wrote in an email to the Daily News.

"For the first time in this 500-year-old puzzle, we are at the doors of truth."

Rosa's book claims Columbus was only able to convince the King of Spain to fund the journey that discovered America because he was royalty himself.

But he reportedly wanted to keep his real heritage a secret to protect his father.

Rosa's theories have raised some eyebrows, and historian Martin Dugard said there are enough questions about Columbus' roots to make this new theory plausible - but he's reserving judgement.

"Do I think Columbus could be descended from Polish royalty? Maybe," he said.

"If it's true, and the DNA backs it up, it would make one hell of a great story."

Not to mention a lot of angry Italians.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_in_1492_columbus_sailed_the_ocean_blue__was_polish__book.html#ixzz16o8Enxz7

Christopher Colombowicz: America's discoverer Polish not Portuguese, claim historians

< =text/ ="http://s.dailymail.co.uk/js/digg.js">

He is celebrated as the humble Italian weaver who ended up discovering the Americas.

But the conventional wisdom relating to Christopher Columbus is under threat after academics concluded the explorer was actually a Polish immigrant.

An international team of distinguished professors have completed 20 years of painstaking research into his beginnings.

Not so humble origins: New evidence suggests that voyager Christopher Columbus was not from a family of humble Italian craftsmen as previously thought - but the son of Vladislav III, an exiled King of Poland

Not so humble origins: New evidence suggests that voyager Christopher Columbus was not from a family of humble Italian craftsmen as previously thought - but the son of Vladislav III, an exiled King of Poland

The fresh evidence about Columbus’ background is revealed in a new book by Manuel Rosa, an academic at Duke University in the United States.

He says the voyager was not from a family of humble Italian craftsmen as previously thought - but the son of Vladislav III, an exiled King of Poland.

‘The sheer weight of the evidence presented makes the old tale of a Genoese wool-weaver so obviously unbelievable that only a fool would continue to insist on it,’ Rosa said.

The academic argues that the only way Columbus persuaded the King of Spain to fund his journey across the Atlantic Ocean was because he was royalty himself.

For some reason he hid the true identity of his Polish biological father from most people during his lifetime, and history books have been none the wiser.

‘Another nutty conspiracy theory! That’s what I first supposed as I started to read... I now believe that Columbus is guilty of huge fraud carried out over two decades against his patrons,’ said US historian Prof. James T. McDonough.

Other historians first doubted Columbus’ Polish roots, but Rosa’s findings have been steadily gaining followers as the evidence comes to light.

‘This book will forever change the way we view our history,’ said Portuguese historian Prof. Jose Carlos Calazans. National Geographic is reportedly interested in making a documentary.

Until now, it was believed that Columbus, who was born in the Italian city of Genoa in 1451, was the son of Domenico Columbo, who was a weaver and had a cheese stall in a market in the city.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333895/Christopher-Columbus-Polish-Portuguese-claim-historians.html#ixzz16o6bbSMq

(Newser) – Christopher Columbus’ origins have long been shrouded in mystery—was he Italian? Spanish? Greek? None of the above: In fact, his father was a Polish king, argues Columbus expert Manuel Rosa in a new book. Rosa holds that the adventurer's father was Vladislav III, who was not killed in 1444 as thought. Instead, he went into exile, married a Portuguese noblewoman, and fathered Columbus—who lied to protect his father's real identity, Rosa tells the Daily Telegraph.

Columbus’ station would explain both his ability to marry a noble and his knowledge of everything from geography to cartography, which Rosa says points to a top-notch education. "The marriage was approved by the King of Portugal, something that could never have happened if we believe the myth that Columbus washed up in a shipwreck in Portugal," writes Rosa. More evidence: Columbus was “reddish-haired, fair-skinned and blue-eyed,” and his coat of arms looks like the Polish king’s. Click here to find out what Rosa's next step is in his effort to close the book on the mystery.

Christopher Columbus was Polish, not Portuguese: Historian

London, Nov 30 : A new book has suggested that the man credited with discovering America was actually the son of exiled Polish King Vladislav III and not the son of a humble craftsman from Italy.

The origins of Christopher Columbus have long been a subject of speculation. Academics have now concluded that the explorer was actually a Polish immigrant, reports the Daily Mail.
Manuel Rosa, an academic in Duke University, has revealed fresh evidence about the explorer''s background in his new book.

He said the voyager was not from a family of humble Italian craftsmen as previously thought - but the son of Vladislav III, an exiled King of Poland.

"The sheer weight of the evidence presented makes the old tale of a Genoese wool-weaver so obviously unbelievable that only a fool would continue to insist on it," said Rosa.

The academic argued that the only way Columbus persuaded the King of Spain to fund his journey across the Atlantic Ocean was because he was royalty himself. He hid the true identity of his Polish biological father from most people during his lifetime.

Other historians first doubted Columbus' Polish roots, but Rosa's findings have been steadily gaining followers as the evidence comes to light.

"This book will forever change the way we view our history," said Portuguese historian Prof. Jose Carlos Calazans.

Until now, it was believed that Columbus, who was born in the Italian city of Genoa in 1451, was the son of Domenico Columbo, who was a weaver and had a cheese

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 17:34
or just google for "Columbus Polish" there is a lot of info lol
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 18:47
another one:

Christopher Columbus 'was son of Polish king'

The explorer, Christopher Columbus, was the son of a Polish king living in exile in Madeira and hid his royal roots to protect his father, a new book claims.

A Portuguese historian believes he has solved the 500 year-old mystery of the adventurer's true identity after a thorough investigation of medieval documents and chronicles.

The origins of the man who discovered the Americas has long been a subject of speculation.

Contemporary accounts named his birth place as the Italian port of Genoa to a family of wool weavers but over the centuries it has been claimed that he was a native of Greece, Spain, France, Portugal and even Scotland.

Others claimed his origins were hidden because he was Jewish or secretly working as a double agent for the Portuguese royal family.

But the latest theory suggests that the great navigator, who died in 1506 after four voyages to the New World, was in fact of royal blood: the son of King Vladislav III who was supposedly slain in the Battle of Varna in 1444.

In his third book on the subject Manuel Rosa, who has spent 20 years researching the life of Columbus, suggests that Vladislav III survived the battle with the Ottomans, fled to live in exile on the island of Madeira where he was known as "Henry the German" and married a Portuguese noblewoman.

Mr Rosa believes a conspiracy was agreed to hide Columbus' true origins and to protect the identity of his father. "The courts of Europe knew who he was and kept his secret for their own reasons," the researcher at Duke University, North Carolina said.

"Our whole understanding of Christopher Columbus has for 500 years been based on misinformation. We couldn't solve the mystery because we were looking for the wrong man, following lies that were spread intentionally to hide his true identity," Mr Rosa told The Daily Telegraph.

His high birth would explain how Columbus was able to himself marry the daughter of a Portuguese noble 15 years before he set out to prove the world was round.

"The marriage was approved by the King of Portugal something that could never have happened if we believe the myth that Columbus washed up in a shipwreck in Portugal," Mr Rosa explains in his book "Colon: La Historia Nunca Contada" – Columbus: The Untold Story", published in Spain last month.

"His knowledge of geography, astronomy, algebra, cartography and even the fact that he used a secret cipher to communicate with his brothers all point to the best education. He was clearly a scholar and not self taught as the myth goes."

Mr Rosa claims to have proved that a last will dated 1498 in which Columbus wrote "being I born in Genoa" was forged 80 years after his death by Italians with the name Columbo who wanted to lay claim to his inheritance.

Other evidence supporting Mr Rosa's theory includes the similarity of Columbus's coat of arms with that of the Polish king and a painting of the explorer housed in the Alcazar in Seville in which a crown is hidden on his sleeve.

And the fact that he was "reddish-haired, fair skinned and blue eyed – all features commonly found in Poland."

The next step is to try and prove Columbus's royal heritage by extracting DNA from the tombs of Polish kings to compare with that of the explorer's son who is buried in Seville Cathedral.

"I have made a request to the Cathedral in Krakov to examine remains from the tomb of Vladislav II, who could turn out to be the grandfather of Columbus. It would prove the truth of my theory," said Mr Rosa.

A project launched five years ago to discover Columbus' true origins using DNA comparisons between his family and possible descendants was not conclusive.

A team of scientists took samples from his tomb in Seville and from bones belonging to his brother and son and compared them with the genetic make-up of 477 people living across Europe with surnames believed to be modern-day variants of Columbus.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 10:07
is there really noone to comment this utter nuissence?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 10:13
Well,  I don't know what to say, actually.  Except that this could explain why he was traveling West to get to the East.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 11:05
Originally posted by red clay

Well,  I don't know what to say, actually.  Except that this could explain why he was traveling West to get to the East.Big smile

Most of Polish historians is shocked after learning that king Wladislaw III didnt get killed in the battle of Varna in 1444 but lived "incognito" in the Madeira island. However they are not going to rewrite history books in Poland according to this new research of American professor lol

King Wladislaw III:

Edited by Mosquito - 01-Dec-2010 at 11:07
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 12:23
Suppose it could explain why he migrated to America.

I guess next he started doing the locals jobs for half the wages and kidnapped all the ducks in the park duck pond at christmas.

Edited by Pytheus - 01-Dec-2010 at 12:24
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 14:19
Originally posted by Pytheus

Suppose it could explain why he migrated to America.

I guess next he started doing the locals jobs for half the wages and kidnapped all the ducks in the park duck pond at christmas.

well, most of Americans including first settlers comes from people who suffered poverty in their home countries. Those who were educated, rich or even were middle class didnt have to migrate elswhere looking for bread

Edited by Mosquito - 01-Dec-2010 at 14:20
GovnaWatts View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote GovnaWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 01:08
my history has failed me yet again
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 04:59
Originally posted by GovnaWatts

my history has failed me yet again

Not really, all the Polish historians who were comenting this "new discovery", decided that it is nuissence because king Wladislaw III died in the battle of Varna and could not become the father of Columbus.

Edited by Mosquito - 10-Dec-2010 at 06:55
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2010 at 06:14
There exists today in Barcelona, a statue of C. Columbo, standing erect and pointing directly to the East!

Perhaps he and "Wrong Way Corrigan" were related?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Corrigan
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2010 at 06:59
Originally posted by opuslola

There exists today in Barcelona, a statue of C. Columbo, standing erect and pointing directly to the East!

Thats truth, I was there a month ago and saw it but didnt even think about directions. He is poiting towards sea port - so to the east
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2014 at 21:48
Perhaps he even went that way? The evidence is not really clear. America was already discovered by others. It was the riches that poured forth from America that made it famous. And Spain would quite likely try to keep the secret to itself!

Americus Vespucci actually made this area famous, hence the name!

Ron

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply