Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mehrgarh ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mehrgarh ??
    Posted: 13-Nov-2010 at 23:25
Mehrgarh  in balochistan pakistan is one of the oldest cities in the world, however why is that we hardly hear about this city?? i know there are some doubts it was part of the indus valley civilization, however why is this very important city in history ignored??

one of the reason could be the hindu nationalistic bias, Mehragrh just doesn't fit in their hindu propoganda because nothing "hindu" has been found in the site, also indians can get no where near Mehrgarh

Edited by balochii - 13-Nov-2010 at 23:27
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2010 at 16:14
Originally posted by balochii

[COLOR=#0645ad">Mehrgarh[/COLOR">  in balochistan pakistan is one of the oldest cities in the world, however why is that we hardly hear about this city?? i know there are some doubts it was part of the indus valley civilization, however why is this very important city in history ignored??

one of the reason could be the hindu nationalistic bias, Mehragrh just doesn't fit in their hindu propoganda because nothing "hindu" has been found in the site, also indians can get no where near Mehrgarh

sounds interesting but what can you tell us about the ancient culture and what are the current excavations and discoveries. Regardless of Hindu bias what do you know????

Edited by eaglecap - 15-Nov-2010 at 16:15
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2010 at 09:12
^ please read the article on wikepdia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrgarh
its one of the most imortant sites, its close to 9000 years old, which makes it one of oldest settelments in the world. Little is known of the people who lived there, they might be early Indus civilization people, but no one is sure.

Edited by balochii - 16-Nov-2010 at 09:13
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 13:04
Mehrgarh is only one more part of the Amri Nal Kot Diji chalcolithic or proto Harappan agricultural communities which predated the Indus Valley Civilization. Being the largest of the pre-Harappan sites, it is most likely the most important of the pre-Harappan cities. But it doesnt add anything new except flesh out some details.
Venky
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2013 at 13:55
Eastern Iran and Balochistan are very ancient, even in eastern Iran Jiroft civilization is almost 9000 years old
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2013 at 11:14

Mehrgarh  in balochistan pakistan is one of the oldest cities in the world, however why is that we hardly hear about this city?? i know there are some doubts it was part of the indus valley civilization, however why is this very important city in history ignored??
City ?? I believe it was a Stone Age settlement, urbanistation started much later. However, Mehrgarh is not ignored, it is a major chapter of Stone Age in Indian Subcontinent.
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2013 at 10:30
Originally posted by oxydracae

City ?? I believe it was a Stone Age settlement, urbanistation started much later. However, Mehrgarh is not ignored, it is a major chapter of Stone Age in Indian Subcontinent.

Some parts are chalcolithic I think and there are later layers.

Instead of "hardly heard" Mehrgarh is over emphasised as being the most ancient city of Indus valley and 7000 year old city etc. Based only on its age rather than development. Similar to Catal Huyuk its age dominates over its actual stage of development
Venky
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 10:05
i read a query here bout somone asking about the origins of the ancient people of Mehrgarh.The answer were that maybe the Tamils were overly gloryfying their past in saying that the people of that area were Dravadian.I simply joined the discussion to tell you that"Yes, the language and the culture of Mehrgarh Past and Present was and is Dravadian or Proto Dravadian.I say this as i am a living citizen of Mehrgarh and i speak a Dravadian lingo that is still alive in this part of the woods.My language is brahvi.Some scholars think and some are sure that maybe Brahvi was the original language of this Precurser to the IVC.MEHRGARH.hope that answers some questions.
chaitanya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chaitanya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 15:49
Actually bruhvi are believed to be migrated from central/south central india to balouchistan 1000 years ago. thus nor bruhvi or modern dravidian people were IVC or Mehrgarh. However, they could well possibly be either austroloid people who were spread all over the sub-continent before the dravids and the aryans came. They could also be proto dravidian aswell. but this dravidians(current day tamils) have entirely different story about their origin. They believe that they came to the indian sub-continent from the south of the indian ocean when an mythical landmass called "kumarikandam" sank into the ocean.

BTW, Mr balochii, what makes you think hindu nationalist's bias?? hehe, are you having a laugh ?, Hinduism as a religion did not exist 1000 years ago. It was the persians who first grouped the people practicing idol worshipping as hindus. current hinduism is a mix of vedic and tantric beliefs. Also, don't listen to those nationalists(if there are really one), instead list to an historian. and i also wanna add this, i have many posts of you saying indians have no relation to IVC. well, in fact indians nor pakistanis who are living in those places are related to IVC. As we know sub-continent has been conqured by many kingdoms throughout history and pre-history, so we are all a group of heavily mixed people. while north west of the sub-continent have more west asian mix while central and south having austroloid mix. 

peace
chaitanya 

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 15:51
Originally posted by

i read a query here bout somone asking about the origins of the ancient people of Mehrgarh.The answer were that maybe the Tamils were overly gloryfying their past in saying that the people of that area were Dravadian.I simply joined the discussion to tell you that"Yes, the language and the culture of Mehrgarh Past and Present was and is Dravadian or Proto Dravadian.I say this as i am a living citizen of Mehrgarh and i speak a Dravadian lingo that is still alive in this part of the woods.My language is brahvi.Some scholars think and some are sure that maybe Brahvi was the original language of this Precurser to the IVC.MEHRGARH.hope that answers some questions.

How did you manage to post here?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
chaitanya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chaitanya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 16:08
Originally posted by Nick1986

How did you manage to post here?

doesn't all empires allow guests to post reply's ?? Smile  
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 18:14
Not in this forum.  Question and answer only.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 06:17
Comparing Modern Tamilians with Dravidians of Bronze Age Indus Valley is like comparing Modern Ethiopians with Ancient Babylonians (both being Semitic people).

Tamilians may got separated (linguistically) from Brahvis way back in Middle Stone Age. By the time of New Stone Age or Bronze both these cultures were isolated from each other.

chaitanya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chaitanya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 13:26
Originally posted by oxydracae

Comparing Modern Tamilians with Dravidians of Bronze Age Indus Valley is like comparing Modern Ethiopians with Ancient Babylonians (both being Semitic people).

Tamilians may got separated (linguistically) from Brahvis way back in Middle Stone Age. By the time of New Stone Age or Bronze both these cultures were isolated from each other.

Exactly my point. but how are you sure that IVC were dravidian?? regarding brahvi, it is clear that they migrated to boluchistan like 1000 years ago. 
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2013 at 08:01

It is not at all clear that Brahvis migrated to Baluchistan only 1000 years back. The most common argument given is that Brahvi doesnt has any Old Iranian word in its vocabulary. Actually not only Brahvi, but even Sindhi and Punjabi have Old Iranian influence. Brahvi is a language that is very little explored.

During Late Harappan Phase it is clear that the culture of Eastern Baluchistan and Sind was same, i.e. Dravidian. And Sind was the Central and Most Powerful region during the Integration Phase. Few Dravidian words are still present in Sindhi, Punjabi and Gujarati Languages that are very similar to Brahvi.

Also, in my opinion some North-Eastern portions of Indus Valley Civilization could be Munda as rice-farming was present in Ganges Valley since 6000 BC that was brought by the Austric people.

Edited by oxydracae - 08-May-2013 at 08:12
 Post Reply Post Reply