Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Elephants with Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elephants with Identity
    Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 05:02
Originally posted by red clay

Posting a link would accomplish the same thing.  But if you insist, cut and paste is fine, I would like to see some comments of your own as well.

My intention was only to give an idea about elephant training.
There may be isolated cases of cruelty towards animals but generally it is not like that.
Ayurveda(traditional indian medicine) has methods and medicine for treatment of Elephants..A book called "Hastya-ayurveda" written by Palakapya which speaks about the care taking and treatment of diseases of Asian Elephants."Matanga leela" is another bookwritten by TN Moossathu regarding elephants  most of it is a translation of Hasty ayurveda 
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 05:27
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 05:36
"Thrissur Pooram" of Kerala, India

Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 10:17
Originally posted by ranjithvnambiar

Originally posted by Pytheus

Indian elephants are loved, revered, groomed and given a prestigious place in the state's culture.

This initial breaking of an elephant during its training is done by terrorising it with fire. I always wonder how this equates with 'love and revere'.
 We have an elephant training centre at "Konni" in Kerala India, I have never seen anything there like terrorising with fire.The initial training like understanding directions and instructions of mahouts are done inside a gigantic wooden cage and intimacy with the "mahout" is developed by feeding and rewarding.In training big elephants trainer elephants are also utilised.
If you have plan to visit India you can include "konni" of kerela so that you can have a better understanding of training elephants.

But are these elephants at the trainign centre wild elephants or ones born in captivity. It would be very hard to even get close to a captured wild elephant before you've broken its spirit to teach it directions.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 23:36
We dont catch any wild elephants in Kerala , since it is illegal.Most of the temple elephants are nowadays bought from Bihar(Sonepur Elephant mela).In this case the mahouts and trainers needs to teach a new language (ie malayalam) to the elephant
But sometimes when some elephant herds enter the country sides of kerala ,it may occur that some kid elephant falls in some open well and gets injured then they are taken away by forest department and trained into domestic elephants at Konni.And sometimes due to lack of funds to feed and maintain the elephant they may auction it legally to some elephant lovers who takes good care of it.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2011 at 13:24
Religious holidays are on your posts?Elephant God change  itself during year celestial cycle?That is described inside popular story about it?Post links about it.Why elephant?It was first "engine" inside your country?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2011 at 16:57

Opuslola whats wrong with you..? If you dont like the photos just dont look at it.What is the thing with ancestors and family..?

Actually I don't understand what's wrong with you? I gave you a very civil and respectful answer! It was heart-felt, and meant that a "family" can consist of beings other than humans!

Certainly some families who raise certain breeds of Parrots, etc., have a strong family bond with these birds who can live to be 50-60-70 years old, passing from one generation to another, etc.!

Certainly no difference could be assessed with the raising and care of an elephant who might also live with the same family for 40 or more years!

I think you were looking for a smart ass answer and took my respectful one, wrong!

I am sorry that that happened!

My sincere regards!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
gunda View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2011 at 10:16
interested in matangalila english translation . may i rerquest sri rajiv v nambiar to help me to get a phot copy of the book if the original is not avialable in india.
also address of the konni elephant rtaining centre in kerala.
i can bear the expenses for the same.
please help me.

Edited by red clay - 05-Sep-2014 at 09:21
gunda View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 03:50
have got the english translation of matangalila. interesed in the english translation of hastyayrveda. can any one help me.

Edited by red clay - 05-Sep-2014 at 09:22
gunda View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2014 at 21:21
we have gone through this book. we have developed many formulations based on this book for various diseases if humans and other animals.
we can also provide a kannada/samskrita translation of this work.

Edited by red clay - 05-Sep-2014 at 09:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12