Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sugestions for ancient history computer game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
diosilva16 View Drop Down
  Quote diosilva16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sugestions for ancient history computer game
    Posted: 17-Sep-2010 at 17:07
helo, folks, i'm currently working on a strategy game based around the birth of civilization. i't'd be a game based arround 3 resources: food, money, and sophistication. the first two are obvious, the third would influence the rate at which your civilization would discover new technological advancements, and would depend on luxuries you provided your citizens with: pottery, woolen clothes, etc.

what i'd like to ask you guys is some suggestions on influential technological advances and a bit of information on how it they were discovered and how they influenced the life of people. these technological could be purelly civic or even recreational, as well as militaristic, etc.

example
pottery -  would be one of the first technologies to be discovered, aparently it predates even agriculture in some cultures, it'd increase food revenues, as food preserves better when stored, as well as provide luxury to citizens

i may talk a bit more about the game if you guys are interested
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2010 at 22:56
It's been done.  It's where Allempires started.  It's called Age Of Empires.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2010 at 00:08
Speaking of which, has anyone seen that abomination by Microsoft? Age of Empires Online?

What....have....they.....doooooonnnnnneeeeeeee??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
  Quote diosilva16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2010 at 00:59
hehehe, i should have known. i've been posting this in random forums about history.

my game is very different, tough, in age of empires technologies play a minor role, while in my game they are one of the cornerstones of gameplay, i need many of them, even the most mundane ones are important. the gameplay of the game is also more similar to 7kingdoms than age of empires, with a bit of squad based fighting like kohan
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diosilva16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2010 at 03:04
i've registered. posting to track the thread
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2010 at 15:02
Well, I have a ton of stuff available from my "design a historically accurate rts" project from when I was in high school. Its got all kinds of stuff like possible units, technologies, etc. It never got anywhere of course because I am only a historical buff and strategy gaming fan. I had no skills needed for the job. haha.

Thank god for 0 AD! http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/

-William Wordsworth
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diosilva16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2010 at 17:28
well, that sounds like wonderful material. i'm looking for a special kind of historical accuracy, in my game you wouldn't play any extant civilizations, but rather create your own, including designing military units.
as of now i'm creating the game as a mod for warcraft 3, just as a proof of concept, as it requires less commitment than creating your own engine and warcraft's engine is extremelly powerfull.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2010 at 00:01
well, that sounds like wonderful material.

Then I'll put up some stuff. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a few days. As soon as I feel like digging through that stuff. heh.
-William Wordsworth
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2010 at 12:07
Originally posted by diosilva16

what i'd like to ask you guys is some suggestions on influential technological advances and a bit of information on how it they were discovered and how they influenced the life of people. these technological could be purelly civic or even recreational, as well as militaristic, etc.

I would go for:

metallurgy: (better weapons, farm tools, metal rimmed wheels etc)
Money: more efficient than barter
Banking: Capital can be transferred, created and grown easier

As a side note, you might want to view some of James Burke's series Connections.  They might be available on line.  The show is amazing and demonsrates how obscure developments can snow ball into dominance.

Edited by Cryptic - 22-Sep-2010 at 12:15
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 10:08
I should have guessed Cryptic was a "connections" fan.Wink I've mentioned the show before, but got nothing in way of recognition from anyone.
Cryptic is right, if you take one of his episodes you could well use it as a diagram of technologic developement.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply