Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Symbology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SalokinX View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SalokinX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symbology
    Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 18:34
Hi guys,

I am in need of help to find meaningful symbols. I spent a lot of time the past few weeks trying to find something to my liking, but I just couldn't find it.

The following picture is a symbol created by the band Behemoth, and is more of what I am looking for:

My friend and I tried to break this down and we got to the conclusion that it means:

Double-headed Eagle: Power
Up-side-down Cross: Religious rejection
7-pointed Star: Chaos

When I looked for symbols, the results I got were symbols such as the ones that can be found at symbols.com or, when I searched for ancient symbols, things like ancient-symbols.com .

None are really the kind of meaningful, almost world-wide known symbols like the ones above, which is really what I want.

Also, I'm not sure if there is such a thing, but, if possible, I would also like to find some Ancient Mesopotamian symbols, preferably related to their mythology.

Any books/websites would be very helpful!

Thanks.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 20:43
Originally posted by SalokinX

The following picture is a symbol created by the band Behemoth, and is more of what I am looking for:

My friend and I tried to break this down and we got to the conclusion that it means:

None are really the kind of meaningful, almost world-wide known symbols like the ones above, which is really what I want.

You will not find any ancient symbols with the theme of "religous rejection".  Finding an ancient symbol for "chaos" in very unlikely.  All ancient cultures valued both religion and order.  

The valuing of these two concepts are modern.  The closest modern symbol would be a Maoist red star. It symbolizes Absolute power, religous rejection and included an awful lost of chaos.  Of course, this came at the deaths of millions....
SalokinX View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SalokinX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 21:05
Originally posted by Cryptic

You will not find any ancient symbols with the theme of "religous rejection".  Finding an ancient symbol for "chaos" in very unlikely.  All ancient cultures valued both religion and order.  

The valuing of these two concepts are modern.  The closest modern symbol would be a Maoist red star. It symbolizes Absolute power, religous rejection and included an awful lost of chaos.  Of course, this came at the deaths of millions....

I understand that most of these are modern, I just asked for ancient symbols as something on the side, completely unrelated.

I'm not really looking for anything that might represent any of the above symbols, I just wanted something of the same nature.

For example, the chaos symbol is fairly recent, which is less than a century old.
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 22:29
Symbols like the pentacle and the swastaka(not sure i spelled that right) are what come to mind but they both have had so many meanings, like most symbols, its hard to pick one that fits.
SalokinX View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SalokinX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 15:19
Originally posted by p,c,ma

Symbols like the pentacle and the swastaka(not sure i spelled that right) are what come to mind but they both have had so many meanings, like most symbols, its hard to pick one that fits.

Yes, those are the symbols I am looking for, but more of them.

Although they have various meaning, it is usually easy to grab the meaning when in presence of other symbols. It all depends on the surroundings.

Thanks for the help.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 16:22
Take a look at Celtic Astral symbols.  They may be not exactly what your looking for but they can be modified and they don't come with a lot of baggage like the swastika.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 16:23

I'm not really looking for anything that might represent any of the above symbols, I just wanted something of the same nature.

I understand now.  Try this link to ancient Chinese pictographs.

A pictograph is a very early Chinese character. They were very similar to "symbol type drawings".  They then developed into more advanced and abstract characters. 
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 17:41
SalokinX, those three symbols that you mentioned have ancient origins too, for example about the first one, you can find this double-headed Eagle in the Sumerian, Hittite and other ancient archaeological remains, like this famous golden bowl from Hasanlu in the northwest of Iran:

p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 17:52
Those symbols have no dark meaning though, they are just representing gods and godesses.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 15:35
Wait a second, the star is 8-pointed. As far as I know that represents existence in two dimensions (ie: soul and flesh). This symbol can also be found in the checkered pattern between black and white. 
Timidi mater non flet
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 21:52
The double-headed eagle was the symbol of the Holy Roman Empire.

Timidi mater non flet
HerodAntipas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote HerodAntipas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:02
My fave symbol was always the ouroboros - the snake eating its own tail, symbol of eternity.

Just thought I'd share ....

"Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiastes.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2011 at 19:38
Ah! Baal Melqart, posted the "double headed" bird, which I have surmised after a lot of study was not always that of the Eagle, but mostly, in the early times at least, a representation of the "Bird of the Battlefield" which was then as now, the modern "Crow, or Corvus", and with the name "Corvus" it was also the name of a shortlived attack vessel supposedly used by the Romans!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2011 at 09:57
Ah the famous Corvus quicquereme, apparently it had up to 5 oars and could launch a metal chain with a curved sharp tip. The enemy boat could then be pulled towards the Romans who loved nothing better than melee combat.
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply