Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attackers going for Full conquest but...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adaptation View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adaptation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attackers going for Full conquest but...
    Posted: 25-May-2010 at 13:03
I have been looking for wars where the aggressor went for full conquest but failed to do so, and then settled for something smaller. There must be tons of example, such as the winter war.

Im interested in the subject because i want to see how the aggresor's final objective affects his tactical/strategical way of doing war.

example: First punic war, where it was all about who owns Sicily. The objectives for both side was not a full conquest/annexation. This made the war different then the Second punic war(of course theres other factors which i will not get in).

Anyway, im looking for:

- wars were the aggresor started for full conquest but settled back for less
- If you can, explain how going for full conquest affected the way they fought.
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 16:20
There are lots of examples in the Perso-Roman Wars. Although Romes goal several times was to completely conquer the Persian Empire, they failed to do so and had usually had to settle for a return to the status quo.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

There are lots of examples in the Perso-Roman Wars. Although Romes goal several times was to completely conquer the Persian Empire, they failed to do so and had usually had to settle for a return to the status quo.

Well at least once it was the plague that saved Persians from Roman conquest because on the battlefield they were already broken.

But I think that there are also opposite examples, the agressor attacks without any plan and is not not trying to conquer all the country that he invaded but his luck and circumstances allowe him to do so. I think that Caesar makes good example, he didnt plan to conquer Gaul but achieved it. On the other hand he did plan to conquer Britain but failed and didnt achieve anything.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 16:46
Also, can we use the German example from WWI?

The Germans were fighting the Russians on the Eastern front, their goal wasnt to conquer Russia completely, but to capture its major cities and force it to withdraw from the war. Russia did indeed pull out of the war and Germany gained control of Eastern Europe.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Adaptation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 08:43
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Also, can we use the German example from WWI?

The Germans were fighting the Russians on the Eastern front, their goal wasnt to conquer Russia completely, but to capture its major cities and force it to withdraw from the war. Russia did indeed pull out of the war and Germany gained control of Eastern Europe.
They didn't ''settle'' for much didn't they - what were the borders after the 1917 truce?

One that i thought of is teutoburg forest - they focused too much on getting one big battle where the romans had an edge, and that led to blindly going into a disadvantageous ground(and ignoring some safety issues), which then led to their slaughter...

Edited by Adaptation - 27-May-2010 at 08:48
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 11:35
The Germans gained a lot of territory after Russia pulled out:

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Adaptation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2010 at 11:48

Woa, impressive map. Didn't know they gained so much ground.

Post Reply Post Reply