Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Journey of Mankind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journey of Mankind
    Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 06:07
Here's a quite fascinating interactive map.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 09:10
Originally posted by Pytheus

Here's a quite fascinating interactive map.

I agree, it is a great map. Thanks for posting the link.

I just wish that they included the migrations to the Pacific Basin, Greenland and Iceland.  They could also have included the Solutrian migration from Europe to America as speculative. 

Edited by Cryptic - 12-Apr-2010 at 09:12
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 03:08
They have however showed the migration to America in two phases, one predating the traditional clovis one, that's pretty radical in itself.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 07:26

Thats interesting.

I am not aware of the two phase migration to the Americas.  I have read about pre clovis finds. Do you have any more information about the first phase?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 13:22
I disagree! It is mostly crap and it seems mostly based on 14-C datings! Which, I consider also as mostly crap!

I started to do a progressive retort towards those little arrows of blue, but by the 65,00-52,000 period I puked!

I will tell you what it is worth, however, NOTHING! "Garbage in garbage out!"

Sorry for shouting!

Oh! Again I forgot something! It seems that most people for the last 30 or so years would write "C-14" for the radioactive dating system, while in science it was most often refered to as 14-C! But, it seems our modern young people have seen the error of their ways, and now seem to use the term "radioactive-dating", to try and seperate themselves from what has in some circles become a bad way to describe a failed dating system!

That is at least, "my not too humble opinion!"

Regards,

By the way, Just what are "the Gates of Grief?"

And, I do give "radioactive-dating" as close to correct when dating items like the "Shroud of Turin!" Whilst they think to disregard the times of our "Christ like figure", they actually support the theory followed most closely by me!

Edited by opuslola - 13-Apr-2010 at 13:34
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2010 at 07:49
Originally posted by Cryptic

Thats interesting.

I am not aware of the two phase migration to the Americas.  I have read about pre clovis finds. Do you have any more information about the first phase?

Yes there an excellent short film about it here.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2010 at 08:21

Originally posted by Pytheus

Yes there an excellent short film about it here.

Thanks. I hope to watch it soon.

As a side note, I E-mailed the Bradshaw Foundation about omitting the Pacific Basin, Arctic and the Solutrian migrations.  They are in the process of adding the Pacific Basin and Arctic to The Journey. They said, however, that the Solutrians are just too speculative for now.

They responded immediatly. It was kind of flattering Smile.

Edited by Cryptic - 16-Apr-2010 at 08:36
Boreas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Boreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 22:53
Solutreans may be to late...

By know we have to consider that a row of islands were existing in the N Atlantic that is not there today - due to that the oceanlevel used to be 120-140 metres lower than today. One exampel being the North Sea where the Doggerbank were "Doggerland". Then there were islands to the NW of Norway that would allow "island-hopping" to reach Greenland.

Consequently there could have been small amounts of contact between N Europe and N America already during the early Paleolithic.

As of now we have just got to know that they were in England already 900.000 years ago - under the name "homo antecessor";

Which is contemporary with the adjusted dates of the "Peking Man"...

It may seem that the human forfather we usually call "homo erectus" was a much more intelligent being than hereto anticipated. Perhaps the northern peoples of the early paleolithic, who obviously could survive and trive under arctic circumstances, actually stood origin to the later Solutreans, from which the later oscilations resulted in the first arctic Eurasians, that came to populate the northern hemispheres during the middle and upper Paleolithic - as well as after last ice-time.

In that case the Piking Man could be closer to the modern Chineese that we use to think.  
Be good - or be gone.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2010 at 05:59
Originally posted by Boreas

In that case the Piking Man could be closer to the modern Chineese that we use to think.  

Do you support seperate evolution of homo sapiens in Africa, Asia and Europe?  I cant see how that can be true.  The various human races are almost identical anatomicaly and physiologicaly. We must have the same "out of Africa" origins.

My guess is that Java Man, Peking Man, "Hobbits", homo antecessor etc. were easily out competed or wiped out by modern humans migrating from Africa. Though they may have been more inteliigent than first thought, Homo Sapien rivals had far better technology and social orgainization.  I dont think the others survived very long after coming in contact with modern humans from Africa (except isolated groups such as hobbits).

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Jul-2010 at 06:04
Boreas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Boreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2010 at 19:54
The origin of species, as well as the origin of the various races under those various species - still is a result of a specific set of processes.

First you need a specie.
Than you may get various types/forms of this specific specie.
With time specific forms would develop into local characteristics - that would grow ongoing generations with the same characteristics. That would define a specific "trail" or "race" from the original line (location) of this specie. That is what we used to call "a race". Today its rather called "sub-specie", although I'm not sure that sounds any better...

Arctic and Tropic

You may find cats and crockodiles of different races - all over the tropical world.
You may find cats and dogs of different races - all over the arctic world.

We may say that there are two (major) types of nature, in biology and botanics is termed as "tropical" vs. "arctical". So we have arctic races and tropical races of cats and dogs - and human beings.

Then we have various trails - as in a number of races - within the arctic as well as the tropical hemisphere. All these "rays" would have emenated from the orginal form of man - that we MAY recognize as "Homo Erectus".

Since the time of  early H Erectus the face of the globe have changed a few times. A consequence would be an enduring isolation between various groups that came to inhabbit the various continents, subcontinents and islands and island-groups. As ice-times came and went the contact between larger populations would obviously be obstructed.

What we look for is the original couple that produced our "homo antecessor".  That time and history have spread the human family all around the globe and made us look different should not be held against it...

Thus we may allow a scientific observation - of a 900.000 flint-tool - to take precedence over old theories from Leakey and the mere hypothesis' about "migration-patterns". What we just got a look at from South East England (links above) is nothing but an advanced knife ("handsize, two-edged scraper").

Flint is not that commonly found in England, so hopefully a minaral-analyzis of the material could releave its place of origin. Still it belongs to the Mousterian level of tool-making, for sure. The later culture - called "Solutrean" - is nothing but an 'evolutionary' development from the first part of Paleolithicum; of stone-quarries, new tools, improved production-tecniques and a variety of standards within design and decoration.

The English Channel/North Sea is obviously a place were they were able to survive during both cold and warm periods of Paleolithic time. Thus we may find a logic explanation to how these very early Europeans - caugth by the term "erectus" - could have excercised a specific set of cultural skills AND shown a row of very specific, genetic abilities nessecary to survive the arctic wiinter - already 900.000 years ago...?

That would explain the phrase "homo erectus" as something else than "different from us, as in different specie".  Now we have to admit that the humans that went skijumping in England already 900.000 years ago had to be rather smart. Moreover they just confirmed that the present Europeans are related to the Neanderthals too.

Perhaps we should rather look at the neander and the other erectus's as different "races" of the Paleolithics. By the end of ice-time we also saw the end of the geographical isolations that have existed during the last million years.  Consequently we have seen the peculiar set of greater civilisations that we know to have evolved around political centras on all four continents - as of 10.000 years ago...

During this time of reunification and civilisation the archaic races - from the various continents and subcontinents - got modified. By the growing relationships between the ruling families the inter-change of genetic material would anyway be mixed and ministerd by the contemporary nobility. Thus the genetic exchange within the higher nobility could influence on all the families of Mesolithic Europe - that became Neolithic and Bronze Age Europe and Asia. 

To survive under the hostile climate of the arctic the homo erectus would have had to invent a complete new set of skills and social values. The first arctic population would have no one to lean on, nor borrow ideas, find the forms and make a fashions from their neighbours. Since nature hardly makes the same anamoly twice - such as retarded mammals, like the lactose-persistent - we still have to explain how this nature came to produce the pigmentless sub-specie of Homo sapiens, called Caucasians...?!

From what we now know they developed during a refugia in the North Sea - where they seem to have stayed ever since the time they were called Homo Erectus...  

Edited by Boreas - 18-Jul-2010 at 19:58
Be good - or be gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply