Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tombstone of a German commandant in Bushehr!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tombstone of a German commandant in Bushehr!!
    Posted: 04-Apr-2010 at 08:22

There is a Christian Cemetery near a church in the city of Bushehr in the south of Iran, most of the graves belong to Englishmen but this one is interesting for me, I don't think that Germans call their country Germany and I think Germans write "Commandant" with "K" at the beginning, not "C", anyway it belongs to a German commandant named Sterzel, does anyone know about him? What does the word "Persepolis" mean there? Can it be related to the archaeology?

This is another tombstone in this Cemetery:

The word "Bushire" is very interesting, I had mentioned that the very Persian word Shahr "County" and English Shire and also Persian Shahrap "Governor, Satrap" and English Sheriff in all probability have the same origin.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 04-Apr-2010 at 08:32
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2010 at 20:32
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I don't think that Germans call their country Germany
Though I dont know if Germans refer to their nation as "Germany", Germany became a unified country in 1871.  The date on the tombstone is 1881, so the "Germany" reference appears possible.

At the same time, regional identity in Germany was still strong in 1881 so I am surprised that a regional identity such as "18th Barvarian Rifle Regiment, Germany" or "Grand Duchy of Hesse, German Empire" etc. is not included. 
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

and I think Germans write "Commandant" with "K" at the beginning, not "C",
German spelling and handwriting was reformed after WWII. The old script / spelling has a name, but I can't remember it. My understanding is that it was difficult for non Germans (and possibly also for GermansWink) to use correctly.

Perhaps somebody here can tell if the script / spelling matches the 1881 period and if it appears that a German or a non German wrote it.

Edited by Cryptic - 04-Apr-2010 at 20:55
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 06:08
I would venture a guess that the German was the commander of a vessel named "Persepolis", and while I know what H.M.S ,means, I have no idea about the "J"? Perhaps in Persia the "J" has some meaning? Thus something like "His Julian Majesty's", etc.?, since this might well have been a Persian vessel, staffed (or at least officered) by foreign crews?

"Hier ruhel" merely means "Here lies!"

I would suggest that this commander was but a part of a team of europeans, mostly British, that were either attached to the Shah, or hired by him to man his small fleet, since Iran/Persia was almost in constant conflict with both Russia and other groups on its N. border, in and around the Caspian Sea.

As concerns Mr. Simpson, this site; http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=george+frederick+simpson%2c+dorsetshire

Will lead one to see a list of Brits buried in Iran including Mr. Simpson! But, it is a JSTOR article.

Hope this helps.

Edited by opuslola - 05-Apr-2010 at 06:30
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2015 at 04:18
Error of stone sculptor?!?Maybe!Hi Cyrus!How are you there?
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2015 at 13:59
The website 'Freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com has a listing of some graves of Europeans and Armenians in the cemetery of St. George's Armenian Church in Bushire, and the listing includes the Sterzel and Simpson graves.

Sterzel was evidently the Captain (Commandant) of the 'Persepolis', an Iranian Navy vessel, built in Bremerhaven, Germany in 1884. It had a Persian/Arab crew, with 4 German officers.

Simpson apparently died aboard the S.S. Rilna in Bushire, and the gravestone must have been commissioned by his wife.
Windemere
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2015 at 10:26
Along those lines.....

''The National Cemetery at Finn's Point, NJ contains the remains of 3,000 American soldiers and 13 German POWs. The white marble tombstones on the Germans' graves are identical to those of the American soldiers.

The US Department of Veteran's Affairs maintains the cemetery''

Cc: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=189852

!4 others executed for murdering there own are here: http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/01/news/mn-24352
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Bardia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bardia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2015 at 13:56
There are some Christian Cemeteries in Northern Iran too .
i wonder what the word Persepolis means in that tombstone ??
what is the relation between this German Commandant and Persepolis ?

Edited by Bardia - 05-Nov-2015 at 13:57
My Love Is IRAN :) Land OF Aryans .
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2015 at 23:21
dunno...cuz he sure as hell didn't know Cyrus or Darius.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2015 at 03:20
It could be a title of German commandants in Iran (Persia in that time).
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by Bardia

There are some <span style="line-height: 16.8px; : rgb232, 220, 208;">Christian Cemeteries in Northern Iran too .</span>
i wonder what the word Persepolis means in that tombstone ??
what is the relation between this German Commandant and Persepolis ?

In the info you posted it states the Persepolis was a warship built for Iran, by the Germans.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2015 at 09:46
It sounds logical,Persepolis as warship. 
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2015 at 14:44
Concerning his name and hometown (Bautzen - Budziszyn) -mr Sterzel was a Sorb - member of slavic autochtonic minority in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbs

Edited by Mosquito - 09-Nov-2015 at 14:46
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tore The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2016 at 18:37
I think he belonged to Austro-Hungarian military mission in Persia 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_military_mission_in_Persia

And of course the Swedes was there to but later 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Gendarmerie
 Post Reply Post Reply