Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World 's Oldest Wheel found in Slovenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World 's Oldest Wheel found in Slovenia
    Posted: 02-Apr-2010 at 16:32

The former record was hold by Austria (circa 3100) BC  but Slovenia broke the record with c. 3300 BC.  (The traditional claim of Sumer as birthplace has few supporters in the last decades)

Note this is an artefactual wheel and is scientifically dated to c. 3300 BC .

c14 date 3300 BC

Read more :

More to come ( incl. prof. studies) 

Edited by Sander - 02-Apr-2010 at 16:33
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 16:54
Dear Sander,

Since we are only presented a one demensional view of this discovery, all I can see is a "disk" with a hole in the middle! A rectangular hole, as it is seen, is exposed in the middle of this disc!

I would suppose another view of this "wheel" is available somewhere?, I.e. a "side view!"/ "end view!"

I also notice that it seems, upon a very coarse examination to be made in a "laminated" manner! That is, it not a one piece "disc!" / wheel!

In any event, I am not a supported of "14C" dating in even the best of circumstances, and I suppose that your use of the words "dated scientifically", specifically refers to such a dating system?

If so, Thanks, but no-thanks!

I might well accept it after further information (if any) is forthcoming!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2010 at 01:24
I still think Mesopotamia is the birthplace of the wheel, it is even possible that some older wheels are found in other regions but the wheel invention had a long process and all evidences show this process was started in the Mesopotamia, anyway it seems potter’s wheels which have been found at Ur are older, around 3500 BC.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 00:21
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I still think Mesopotamia is the birthplace of the wheel, it is even possible that some older wheels are found in other regions but the wheel invention had a long process and all evidences show this process was started in the Mesopotamia, anyway it seems potter’s wheels which have been found at Ur are older, around 3500 BC.

That Mesopotamia was the birthplace is a traditional claim/theory but that’s not what the evidence shows. Wheeled vehicles ( it's about transportive wheels ) are attested earlier elsewhere.  The findings in the last decades point towards  an introduction to Mesopotamia. The spoke-wheeled chariot and horse was diffused to Mesopotamia as well , some time later on.

Wheeled item from the Cucuteni-Tripolye culture (Romania-Ukraine ).Tripolye phase B 2 (c. 3800 BC)(see Parpola 2007)

Baden cultures, Central Europe ( Boleraz phase / Early Baden-Classic c. 3300 BC  )Model of 4-wheeled wagon.
The Pit Grave cultures ( Ukraine-Russia) are known for some burials with complete wagons and carts (c. 3100-3000 BC.)
Mesopotamia does not have such early evidence. The earliest wheeled vehicles appear later, around 2600 BC.
The Standard of Ur (c.2600 BC )

Linguistics also supports a PIE introduction :

Asko Parpola (2007) "Proto-Indo-European speakers of the Late Tripolye culture as the inventors of wheeled vehicles:Linguistic and archaeological considerations." University of Helsinki

Edited by Sander - 17-Apr-2010 at 13:51
Boreas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Boreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 21:31
Now, that's what I call an update.  Smile

Tx alot Sander. Nice pics indeed - and a great link. Parpola is already highly regarded for his work on the IE questions - and most rigthly so...

Edited by Boreas - 17-Jul-2010 at 21:34
Be good - or be gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply