Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which revolutionary do you idealize?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which revolutionary do you idealize?
    Posted: 20-Mar-2010 at 11:31
Originally posted by Sharrukin

Going way back was a man who stood up against the Romans- Spartacus!

Well, we can go even further back to such "revolutionaries" as Zoroaster, Buddha, and Confucius, or even earlier with Akhenaton, Hammurabi, or UruKAgina, but, hey, we are now way off topic Ermm

Just a suggestion - maybe we should restrict the list to favorite revolutionaries of the Americas.  While it is obvious that ideologies of Europeans and Asians (i.e. Marx and Mao) were influencial in the Americas, there were revolutionaries in the Americas which espoused their philosophies - Che, for instance.

Yes so true and the American colonialist were great revolutionaries in themselves. I really admire George Washington but a lot of myth was created about him. Such as the cherry tree and some others. It is not abnormal to want to make your heroes bigger than life.

I wonder how many southerners still see Robert E. Lee as a revolutionary figure. There are still some in the south bitter because they lost. Some horror movie had the ghost of southern troops return from the grave and they kept saying, "The south shall rise again!" Some of the kids play yankee and rebel like some kids out west play cowboy and Indian.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2010 at 17:27
Originally posted by eaglecap

I wonder how many southerners still see Robert E. Lee as a revolutionary figure.
Many view him as a hero, but I doubt many view him as a revolutionary. Rather than changing the traditional socio, economic, political or religous structure, Robert E Lee dedicated his military career to defending it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2010 at 14:57
You might well note that Gen. Lee, supposedly "freed" all of his slaves! I merely feel that he felt more that his individual "state" was worth more than a "collection of states!"

And he decided to "defend it" rather than destroy it!

But, who really knows just how this rather "special man", really thought?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2010 at 11:04
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by eaglecap

I wonder how many southerners still see Robert E. Lee as a revolutionary figure.

Many view him as a hero, but I doubt many view him as a revolutionary. Rather than changing the traditional socio, economic, political or religous structure, Robert E Lee dedicated his military career to defending it.

Good point and I do agree with this but still a hero to some in the south. The ones still bitter because they lost-
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cipactli View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Cipactli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2010 at 13:41
Wow, looks like Im pretty late but idealize.  Cabanas: Mexican School teacher who fought for the Mexican Poor and Indigenous.
"To Tonal Omotlatiuh
To Tonal Omoixpoliuh
Iuan Zentlayouayan Otechkateh"~ Cuauhtemotzin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12